Everything NIT

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Two words :  McKinley Wright.

-----------------------------------------------

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...... have been a Hoosier.

When you are Wright.  You are never wrong. 

Would you take him over RP because if Wright was here a good possibility that RP would not be here.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Would you take him over RP because if Wright was here a good possibility that RP would not be here.

Why though? They could co-exist. Kind of back to the recruiting thread you started, I see teams in the Sweet Sixteen with multiple guards that fit a similar profile in terms of size, game, etc. A lot of these schools that are winning have multiple players with similar skillsets at the same position and they're close in class (jr/sr) or even in the same class. 

It seems like we always have this conversation with IU (can't have 2 guards, can't have 2 wings, can't have 2 bigs) but all these other teams seem too?

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Why though? They could co-exist. Kind of back to the recruiting thread you started, I see teams in the Sweet Sixteen with multiple guards that fit a similar profile in terms of size, game, etc. A lot of these schools that are winning have multiple players with similar skillsets at the same position and they're close in class (jr/sr) or even in the same class. 

It seems like we always have this conversation with IU (can't have 2 guards, can't have 2 wings, can't have 2 bigs) but all these other teams seem too?

Could not agree more. 

That's why  YOU..... are the BB guru of Hoosier Sports Nation.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I just think if we got Wright that RP probably would have looked elsewhere since both are true point guards.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I just think if we got Wright that RP probably would have looked elsewhere since both are true point guards.

In truth.... shouldn't the question be turned around the other way ?  Why did McKinley wind up at Colorado, when it was public knowledge that he had an offer from Archie ?  Or perhaps the reason was that Archie was also chasing Rob P.  And Rob was a much higher ranked recruit.  It could be that Rob chased McKinley away from IU.  I don't know.  What I do know is that there were some strange goings on in the summer of 2017, after Archie left Dayton, in terms of Mr.  Wright.

Hey.... to answer some of the questions asked of me above.  I love both kids.  And like guru Gleas.... would have LOVED to have had both wearing Candy Stripes.

Ironically.... both were injured this year, and lost PT as a result.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I'm just saying, why can't we have two guards? I'm watching tons of teams still playing in the Tournament with multiple guards and they all play together. It makes the team better. Not having multiple, capable guards has hurt this program for a long time. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm just saying, why can't we have two guards? I'm watching tons of teams still playing in the Tournament with multiple guards and they all play together. It makes the team better. Not having multiple, capable guards has hurt this program for a long time. 

I agree with that statement but I just believe that if Wright was already here then RP would have decided to go elsewhere.  If I were the coach I would have tried to get both and play them together but I feel like one of them would have not wanted to play together with another PG

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree with that statement but I just believe that if Wright was already here then RP would have decided to go elsewhere.  If I were the coach I would have tried to get both and play them together but I feel like one of them would have not wanted to play together with another PG

Pretty sure RP was outspoken in saying the competition didn't bother him when it came to Darius Garland potentially coming on board. If Mckinley Wright scared Rob P away then I don't think that's a good thing. For the record, very confident Rob P would not be afraid of anyone coming on board. Just some perspective. If Wright were here, no doubt we would have won more games this year. Our thin/inconsistent back court hurt us all year. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

This is certainly a fair take. 

While a number of schools have comparable guards on the floor, generally during recruiting the high-level prospects choose schools where they can develop at their position with close to guaranteed playing time, and where two guys play the same position, that minimally makes recruiting difficult both for the player and the program. 

We landed a really good pure point guard in RP while we already had a veteran point/combo in Green. We need shooting. We also brought in Hunter. Hindsight is great but as a program you need balance among the spots on the floor and man you need shooting.

30 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Pretty sure RP was outspoken in saying the competition didn't bother him when it came to Darius Garland potentially coming on board. If Mckinley Wright scared Rob P away then I don't think that's a good thing. For the record, very confident Rob P would not be afraid of anyone coming on board. Just some perspective. If Wright were here, no doubt we would have won more games this year. Our thin/inconsistent back court hurt us all year. 

No recruit is going to say competition bothers him. It's also not about fear. Playing time is key, positional development is key, and we already had a point guard/combo guard in Green. There's only so many spots for so many players. Balance is key.

35 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Pretty sure that was the case.  And if memory serves me... I am sure Darius was much higher rated than McKinley.  So.... if Darius didn't bother Rob... no reason why McKinley should have.

Great discussion guys.  This is what Hoosier Sports Nation should always be about. 

By the way.... this recent discussion is Rico's fault.  He simply posted that Colorado won last night.  It's all your fault Rico.   Well done !

By the way. I watched the Colorado game.  They looked good.  And I believe would be a challenge for our beloved Hoosiers... should a match up occur.   MAN.... that would be a game I would LOVE to see !

24 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Just repeating my previous comment, would the staff have prioritized Rob as much if Wright was on board?

They heavily prioritized Garland in the class of 2018 and Carton in the class of 2019 after Phinisee was already in the fold, so I don’t see why having Wright would have had an impact on their recruitment of Phinisee.

I've got nothing against having another point guard on the roster because lord knows we could have used one at times especially when Rob was limited because of his injuries and foul trouble but one thing that I think Archie values and I can see it is that I hate have two small guards under 6'3. Having one on the court is no big deal but if you have two at the same time...bigger guards will take advantage...teams like UK, Duke, Michigan, NC will make you pay for playing such a small lineup...especially since we are small across the front line already. I want shooters....but why can't we find some bigger guards that can shoot as well? Hopefully Armani will fill that void in a couple years. I mean I look at UK and NC and we saw with Duke we just couldn't matchup physically with them..I hope Archie is able to build a team that can defend...have length..and also have enough shooting because to put up banner 6...it's going to take that.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Pretty sure that was the case.  And if memory serves me... I am sure Darius was much higher rated than McKinley.  So.... if Darius didn't bother Rob... no reason why McKinley should have.

Great discussion guys.  This is what Hoosier Sports Nation should always be about. 

By the way.... this recent discussion is Rico's fault.  He simply posted that Colorado won last night.  It's all your fault Rico.   Well done !

By the way. I watched the Colorado game.  They looked good.  And I believe would be a challenge for our beloved Hoosiers... should a match up occur.   MAN.... that would be a game I would LOVE to see !

I was just talking about a NIT score........mentioned nothing about Wright.  I wonder who did?  Hmmmmmm.

56 minutes ago, rico said:

I was just talking about a NIT score........mentioned nothing about Wright.  I wonder who did?  Hmmmmmm.

Exactly correct.  It was me that brought up McKinley.  However, I would not have brought him up, if you had not mentioned Colorado.  Frankly, I thought you guys East of the Mississippi had no idea that Colorado even has a BB team.  LOL. 

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Exactly correct.  It was me that brought up McKinley.  However, I would not have brought him up, if you had not mentioned Colorado.  Frankly, I thought you guys East of the Mississippi had no idea that Colorado even has a BB team.  LOL. 

I check out the scores every morning....LOL

9 minutes ago, rico said:

I check out the scores every morning....LOL

But do you post them all on HSN ?   Honestly, I was glad you posted the Colorado score.  As it gave me an opportunity to tip my hat to McKinley.... which led to a good discussion between him and Rob P. , here on HSN.   Again... well done ! (accept the compliment)

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

But do you post them all on HSN ?   Honestly, I was glad you posted the Colorado score.  As it gave me an opportunity to tip my hat to McKinley.... which led to a good discussion between him and Rob P. , here on HSN.   Again... well done ! (accept the compliment)

LOL, actually aside from it being a NIT game, I was thinking of you when I came across the score.  I knew you would jump on it.  Relax young man, I ain't on your lawn!!!!!

1 minute ago, rico said:

LOL, actually aside from it being a NIT game, I was thinking of you when I came across the score.  I knew you would jump on it.  Relax young man, I ain't on your lawn!!!!!

It's all good.   Bringing attention to anything good about Colorado, is o.k. by me. 

Archived