So where do we go now?

IUCrazy2

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going forward I'm sure somehow we'll find a way to become optimistic for next season before practice begins in the Fall.  I have to admit that I'm getting tired of expecting/hoping for players with certain "deficiencies" to improve over the summer, only to see the SOS the next season.  At some time it has to stop.  As I've mentioned before, I hope as a group we spend a lot more time on shooting (including FT's) and less time on our off-season mega gym class stuff (jumping contests, bodybuilding, etc - stuff that has yet to translate to winning games).

I still believe in Archie with all this ream went though they had 18 wins. I say let’s see what in picks up yet this year. Before we panic. I will say I am very tried of waiting from us to be great again year in an year out. Same with football, how many years until we win 6 to 8 games every year. 

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Not the end of the world fellas.  We will be fine.

I am personally fine now.  The question is how much longer until the IU basketball team is consistently fine.  I think next year could be in serious jeopardy.  And if next year does not turn out well, Miller is in really hot water.

We need to do well to pit us on good shape to land some of those class of 21 big fish.

53 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Since you like to live so much in the past, Scott.

Wasn’t the hiring of RMK from Army the epitome of a mid-major, not “big time “ hire?

I don't have  problem with hiring but telling people who think that if we fired Archie that we wouldn't be getting a home run hire.

52 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Is it the money demand?  If so, that’s consistent with what I’ve heard.  

WSU has donors who are some of the riches people n the country so they can match anything you could offer him.  Also he might be like Mark Few who rather stay where he is at and be happy.  Actually he was on the top of my list when we were hiring.

10 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Archie won't be in hot water until his 4th or 5th year . The trajectory will be clear at that time. Upwards would be my expectation

So you think we make the tournament next year?

I think you are kidding yourself if you do not think he will be in hot water if we miss the tournament again next year.  People were out for Crean's job after year 3 and he started in a far deeper hole than Miller.  Is there another Cody Zeller out there waiting to commit?  That is what helped stave off the mob for Crean.  From all appearances, the next recruiting class is fairly weak.  Will Miller get fired after next year?  I doubt it...but I think the heat will be at max at that point.  And honestly, it almost becomes a self fulfilling prophecy at that point because it is really hard to convince recruits that you have a future.

1 hour ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Next year is crucial for Miller and he knows that. And don’t worry about who would come here, IU will be fine. 

Yeah we shouldn't worry about that. Archie should have a job based on if he deserves it, not who we could get. So far he deserves another year. 

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So you think we make the tournament next year?

I think you are kidding yourself if you do not think he will be in hot water if we miss the tournament again next year.  People were out for Crean's job after year 3 and he started in a far deeper hole than Miller.  Is there another Cody Zeller out there waiting to commit?  That is what helped stave off the mob for Crean.  From all appearances, the next recruiting class is fairly weak.  Will Miller get fired after next year?  I doubt it...but I think the heat will be at max at that point.  And honestly, it almost becomes a self fulfilling prophecy at that point because it is really hard to convince recruits that you have a future.

I don't know if we make the tournament or not next year but I don't think the people who make the decision will make him feel any heat until after his fourth or fifth year. Some of the fans will be belly aching that's for sure but that won't . My matter until year 4 or 5. Some think it should start now but I disagree.  Disappointed in this season bit there are numerous factors for this year's failure.  Just my opinion

We could be good next year, and least it is possible we have a better year than this last one.  I doubt any of us are excited about our prospects for a big jump in year three, but we never know until we play the games.  Not getting Brooks is a letdown, but all the excitement about Romeo ended during January.  We have advanced beyond the Sweet 16 once since 1993, and aside from one time being a #1 seed with CTC, we have been no better than a #4 seed during this 25 year span.  Since our run in 2002, we have been in the tourney 8 out of 16 years with a record of 9-8.  In short, it ain't been good.  I could care less about losing Brooks to UK. Being excited in March about IU basketball is a rare things, and tbh most excitement in since 1993 has been about the next year with recruits, returning players, or a new coach.  We might be ready to break though and have this program return to it's "rightful" place, but 25 years of performance might be telling us something very different.

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

WSU has donors who are some of the riches people n the country so they can match anything you could offer him.  Also he might be like Mark Few who rather stay where he is at and be happy.  Actually he was on the top of my list when we were hiring.

Not some of. The Koch brothers combined have a higher net worth than Warren Buffett. They're tied for 6th or 7th on their own. Each of them is Mark Cuban 13 times over.

Marshall's salary is a rounding error to them.

23 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

We could be good next year, and least it is possible we have a better year than this last one.  I doubt any of us are excited about our prospects for a big jump in year three, but we never know until we play the games.  Not getting Brooks is a letdown, but all the excitement about Romeo ended during January.  We have advanced beyond the Sweet 16 once since 1993, and aside from one time being a #1 seed with CTC, we have been no better than a #4 seed during this 25 year span.  Since our run in 2002, we have been in the tourney 8 out of 16 years with a record of 9-8.  In short, it ain't been good.  I could care less about losing Brooks to UK. Being excited in March about IU basketball is a rare things, and tbh most excitement in since 1993 has been about the next year with recruits, returning players, or a new coach.  We might be ready to break though and have this program return to it's "rightful" place, but 25 years of performance might be telling us something very different.

Man Dan I knew we’ve been bad but I didn’t think we were that bad. I’ve been around 40 years. I Must have slept walk through  the last 20.

6 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Man Dan I knew we’ve been bad but I didn’t think we were that bad. I’ve been around 40 years. I Must have slept walk through  the last 20.

Without looking at all other teams, we may not be in the top half of the big ten over that time period, nor in the top 25 programs nationally.  As I said the other day, I think it is time to take a break from thinking about basketball(not that it consumes me) and pick it back up in the fall.  If I step back and think honestly, IU basketball has provided far more bad feelings than good for longer than I can remember. I do enjoy this site, however. 

40 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Sadly, I witnessed this transition up close. 

Back under one of Knight's good but not great teams, we were playing Wisconsin in Madison.  Wisconsin led by 10 in the second half.  The place was rocking.  Could there be an upset?  In the stands next to me, a fan said to another:  "This is Indiana.  They're still going to win."  And IU did.

Years later, IU in Madison again.  This time, IU was ahead by 10.  I overheard a fan say:   "Don't worry, this is Indiana.  We've got this."  And Wisconsin won easily.

Ouch.

- IU alum living in cheeseland

I think we will be fine with CAM. He's not going to be able to bring us back to the top of the B1G in just two seasons. He has to get his kind of players in here to build a culture, mindset, and style of play. You have to be old to be successful if you're not getting 2 or more one-and-done players every single year.

Honest question... wouldn't you be happier if we more consistently competed for a top 3 spot in the B1G every year, than up and down like it was with CTC? If so, then what CAM is doing will give us more consistency.

4 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

I think we will be fine with CAM. He's not going to be able to bring us back to the top of the B1G in just two seasons. He has to get his kind of players in here to build a culture, mindset, and style of play. You have to be old to be successful if you're not getting 2 or more one-and-done players every single year.

Honest question... wouldn't you be happier if we more consistently competed for a top 3 spot in the B1G every year, than up and down like it was with CTC? If so, then what CAM is doing will give us more consistency.

Agree completely 

9 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

The problem will be shooting again. We have to recruit some shooters. Every guard who we recruit should be a good shooter. This should be a staple. 

Our shooting will be better than this year.  With Romeo leaving, his spot has to be filled by someone that can shoot better from deep.  It would be hard to put in someone at his spot  that could have a worse shooting percentage from beyond the arc.  RP and AD will improve and we seen what Green can do.  If we add an unknown that can shoot as well it has to get better.  

10 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

The problem will be shooting again. We have to recruit some shooters. Every guard who we recruit should be a good shooter. This should be a staple. 

I would love to find a way to add that McNeil kid from the JUCO in Dayton. Appears to be a shot-maker and a really good shooter, with some swag added. A little Bohannon in him. Plus, I believe he has 2 years, maybe 3 left. 

Archived