So where do we go now?

IUCrazy2

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Gotta think Archie is losing sleep over the thought of his career trajectory at IU depending on players like Green and Smith...

It’s a shame it took Devonte so long to start cooking but I always felt like we played better when he was on the court. 

Hes a playmaker at heart and I think that’s a huge thing to try to restrict. Not that he’s being restricted but that he could be a serious threat under crean.

For me he shouldn’t have been getting less minutes that Al or even Rob. We were so anemic at times and only 24 mpg?

Oh, well. I guess Archie had his reasons.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are so many things that baffle me about Archie’s system. How can every shooter underperform and how are his teams so poor at the line?

How is are Tempo so low and our TOs still a problem?

Why wasn’t he more aggressive with letting players play with two when players rarely foul out?

Why are our guards attacking the Rim so often when they’re in the 30’s and rarely get fouled?

Why aren’t we shootings more FTs if our offense needs that as an advantage?

Why wasn’t Moore given many opportunities?

What they hell happened to McRoberts? He might have the lowest usage rate as a major player in school history.

Why didn’t he utitilize Fitzner better? When he was on we won it seemed.

@FKIM01

Is right though. He has to stay 4 years and probably 5. 

Oh well. The injuries were legitimate and we probably deserved a win or two.

12 hours ago, JWoolsey said:

There are so many things that baffle me about Archie’s system. How can every shooter underperform and how are his teams so poor at the line?

How is are Tempo so low and our TOs still a problem?

Why wasn’t he more aggressive with letting players play with two when players rarely foul out?

Why are our guards attacking the Rim so often when they’re in the 30’s and rarely get fouled?

Why aren’t we shootings more FTs if our offense needs that as an advantage?

Why wasn’t Moore given many opportunities?

What they hell happened to McRoberts? He might have the lowest usage rate as a major player in school history.

Why didn’t he utitilize Fitzner better? When he was on we won it seemed.

@FKIM01

Is right though. He has to stay 4 years and probably 5. 

Oh well. The injuries were legitimate and we probably deserved a win or two.

He battled a back injury ALL SEASON LONG.  Anyone who was half way paying attention could see he was no where near the player he was last year.

On 3/17/2019 at 11:51 PM, FW_Hoosier said:

Gotta think Archie is losing sleep over the thought of his career trajectory at IU depending on players like Green and Smith...

One thing that stuck with me is during Archie's postgame presser after the OSU loss in BTT, Green gave Archie a pat on the back. Something small, but surprised me to see Green trying to acknowledge it was a tough situation for Archie in that moment.

one more win kept us from the ncaa. who saw us losing 11-12 or 12-13 whatever it was. No Hunter, DeRon was hurt all season, so was Romeo, Rob for a large stretch, Race for most of the season. Lost Green for 3 games, really more than that with he and Smith throwing a pitty party for a long stretch of the season. McBob hurt not even close to what he gave us last season. This coach and staff know what they are doing and this team will be fine going forward. Have faith people. Don't @ me with oh those are just excuses. They are the facts. Look at other teams and how they were effected by losing one key player. jmo.

31 minutes ago, Indykev said:

one more win kept us from the ncaa. who saw us losing 11-12 or 12-13 whatever it was. No Hunter, DeRon was hurt all season, so was Romeo, Rob for a large stretch, Race for most of the season. Lost Green for 3 games, really more than that with he and Smith throwing a pitty party for a long stretch of the season. McBob hurt not even close to what he gave us last season. This coach and staff know what they are doing and this team will be fine going forward. Have faith people. Don't @ me with oh those are just excuses. They are the facts. Look at other teams and how they were effected by losing one key player. jmo.

I don't understand how some people can't see this.  Seth Greenberg was on with Dakich awhile back and said he thought if Zion missed the NCAA tournament that Duke wouldn't make it past the first weekend.  Seriously, with 2 other lottery picks and another potential 1st rounder with a hall of fame coach.  I will say that I don't want to hear about team chemistry issues next year.   If someone is a problem,  then they need to be gone.  To be putting up with that crap in year three is unacceptable.

52 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Good post. I always say there is a big difference between excuses and reasons. No one on this year's team made any excuses (one of the things I respect about Archie), but there were certainly several reasons for how things ended up. 

57 minutes ago, Indykev said:

During many games of "the streak", we had only 6 players that cracked double digits in minutes played, combining for 90-93% of the total minutes available.  The 6 players did vary depending on availability, but that's the lack of depth we had.  Guys had to be gassed, either during the games, from game-to-game, or both.  Yes, these are phenomenal athletes in their early 20s, but if you're playing 38 minutes and the guy you're guarding has only played 33, that starts to add up. 

ex·cuse verb /ikˈskyo͞oz/ 1. attempt to lessen the blame attaching to (a fault or offense); seek to defend or justify. 

Why does excuse have to be considered a negative.  We had injuries that hurt our chances for victories. 100 percent accurate and here we are trying to justify why we are not in the tourney.  That's is the very definition on an excuse.

Excuse (n)

ikˈskyo͞os/ 1. a reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense. "there can be no possible excuse for any further delay" synonyms:justification, defense, reason, explanation, mitigating circumstances, mitigation, extenuation, palliation, vindication;

5 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

ex·cuse verb /ikˈskyo͞oz/ 1. attempt to lessen the blame attaching to (a fault or offense); seek to defend or justify. 

Why does excuse have to be considered a negative.  We had injuries that hurt our chances for victories. 100 percent accurate and here we are trying to justify why we are not in the tourney.  That's is the very definition on an excuse.

Excuse (n)

ikˈskyo͞os/ 1. a reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense. "there can be no possible excuse for any further delay" synonyms:justification, defense, reason, explanation, mitigating circumstances, mitigation, extenuation, palliation, vindication;

Context.

In the case of context, excuses are usually considered negatively, especially on this board.  How often do we hear "Those are JUST excuses" which equally downplays the reason for an outcome and the poster stating a fact.

On the flip side, I am not giving the team, coach, and the gum on the under side of the bleachers in Assembly Hall a free pass.  It was a rough season with many obstacles and challenges.  I believe we were not twelve losses in 13 games bad.  As a fan, I know it happened and there is little I can do about it.

I am in the middle, there are reasons the season did not go as well as we would have liked or thought it should have.  I also struggle to find a reason why we could not win one more game.

I do believe we have the right guy leading the program.  I believe in time with CAM, we will be once again be having the discussion how an injury kept us from the final four instead of the NCAA tourney.

21 hours ago, INDenizen said:

Good post. I always say there is a big difference between excuses and reasons. No one on this year's team made any excuses (one of the things I respect about Archie), but there were certainly several reasons for how things ended up. 

True.  Contrast that with a certain coach that finished at the top of the big ten but constantly whined and made excuses for losing because he lost 1 player to injury. I love Archie's No B.S. attitude.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:18 PM, Zlinedavid said:

During many games of "the streak", we had only 6 players that cracked double digits in minutes played, combining for 90-93% of the total minutes available.  The 6 players did vary depending on availability, but that's the lack of depth we had.  Guys had to be gassed, either during the games, from game-to-game, or both.  Yes, these are phenomenal athletes in their early 20s, but if you're playing 38 minutes and the guy you're guarding has only played 33, that starts to add up. 

I also think because Juwan was gassed he was in foul trouble almost every game which in turn changes the team dynamic... how many times did Juwan play 12 minutes or less in the first half... ALOT! 

6 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I also think because Juwan was gassed he was in foul trouble almost every game which in turn changes the team dynamic... how many times did Juwan play 12 minutes or less in the first half... ALOT! 

He also commits ignorant fouls. 

24 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Without having access to 1st half/2nd half split stats, by my guess, in conference play,  7 times: @Illinois, Wisconsin, @Minnesota, Iowa, Rutgers, @Michigan.  Those are the times he finished with under 31 minutes played and 4 or 5 fouls.     

11 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Chattanooga freshman forward Kevin Easley may be transferring, doubt IU would be interested...averaged 14 pts 7 rebs...from indy

At one time when he was a sophomore he was considered a big prospect but did not develop like they thought he would.

Archived