So where do we go now?

IUCrazy2

10 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

The problem will be shooting again. We have to recruit some shooters. Every guard who we recruit should be a good shooter. This should be a staple. 

Listened to one of the Assembly Call podcasts recently where they talked about our 3 point shooting. Statistically they were saying our poor shooting % was in part to Romeo and Juwan shooting a high volume from deep, but being 2 of the worst % shooters on the team. So by losing them, while talented, our shooting % from 3 will actually go up. Phinisee shot 32% from deep, while dealing with the effects of a concussion. So he is capable and will likely improve. Durham improves his shooting by 7% this season and finished as a 35% 3pt shooter. So he is also capable and can still improve. Green shot 41.6% from 3. Damezi can shoot but wasn’t ready for big time college basketball as a true freshman. Hunter can shoot but was out all year. Just of the known commodities we have 3 capable to good 3 point shooters in the backcourt. 

For reference Romeo shot 27% and Juwan 29%. Romeo (125 attempts) had 36 more attempts from 3 than Al (94), 37 more than Green (93). Juwan (84 attempts) shot as many 3’s as Phinisee (84). In case anybody was wondering Justin Smith only took 30 attempts on the season and made 7, 23%. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Listened to one of the Assembly Call podcasts recently where they talked about our 3 point shooting. Statistically they were saying our poor shooting % was in part to Romeo and Juwan shooting a high volume from deep, but being 2 of the worst % shooters on the team. So by losing them, while talented, our shooting % from 3 will actually go up. Phinisee shot 32% from deep, while dealing with the effects of a concussion. So he is capable and will likely improve. Durham improves his shooting by 7% this season and finished as a 35% 3pt shooter. So he is also capable and can still improve. Green shot 41.6% from 3. Damezi can shoot but wasn’t ready for big time college basketball as a true freshman. Hunter can shoot but was out all year. Just of the known commodities we have 3 capable to good 3 point shooters in the backcourt. 

For reference Romeo shot 27% and Juwan 29%. Romeo (125 attempts) had 36 more attempts from 3 than Al (94), 37 more than Green (93). Juwan (84 attempts) shot as many 3’s as Phinisee (84). In case anybody was wondering Justin Smith only took 30 attempts on the season and made 7, 23%. 

This is great info. A huge part of the problem offensively for IU this year was that neither of our two best players could shoot. Both Langford and Morgan can make some threes here and there, but it’s just tough offensively when people can sag off your two best players. 

Just now, BGleas said:

This is great info. A huge part of the problem offensively for IU this year was that neither of our two best players could shoot. Both Langford and Morgan can make some threes here and there, but it’s just tough offensively when people can sag off your two best players. 

Absolutely. I’m not saying we shouldn’t add shooters. I just think the stats show that we have the capability and wholesale changes to recruiting philosophy might not be needed.   I am intrigued by the kid in Dayton. I’d also look at the grad transfer portal to see who is available. I definitely think we can have a NCAA team next year. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Also, Green can be streaky. However, when he gets set and shoots in rhythm, he knocks down the deep ball consistently. I didn’t track the numbers but it was something I paid attention to the last several games of the season. I’d be interested to see if any of the sites do a deep dive review and actually look at Green’s attempts and divide them out by if he was set and in rhythm or just being a chucker. Then compare the % for him individually. I was getting the feeling when he was set, like I did with Jordan’s Hulls, that it was going in. 

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would love to find a way to add that McNeil kid from the JUCO in Dayton. Appears to be a shot-maker and a really good shooter, with some swag added. A little Bohannon in him. Plus, I believe he has 2 years, maybe 3 left. 

He is the guy we have a thread going about that I want the most. We need to get serious about him though if we want him. I follow a JUCO recruiting site on twitter and he is getting power five offers on an almost daily basis. 

35 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Let’s also not forget Durham’s shooting to me seemed even ether before his dislocated finger.., that had to effect him and he will be healed from that next year.

Go get gym rat that can shoot from anywhere on the court.  Find a Nick or a Jordan or a Guyton type.  A kid that is physically ready to play.  I don't care about height or vertical jumping ability.  A kid that will get in the grill of others during practice.

Transfer, Europe, Australia, recruit, JC....anywhere

Is that enough to ask for?  Lol

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

Absolutely. I’m not saying we shouldn’t add shooters. I just think the stats show that we have the capability and wholesale changes to recruiting philosophy might not be needed.   I am intrigued by the kid in Dayton. I’d also look at the grad transfer portal to see who is available. I definitely think we can have a NCAA team next year. 

Don't forget Hunter is suppose to be a really good shooter as well.  If he can come back healthy I think he will be our best player next year.

2 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Go get gym rat that can shoot from anywhere on the court.  Find a Nick or a Jordan or a Guyton type.  A kid that is physically ready to play.  I don't care about height or vertical jumping ability.  A kid that will get in the grill of others during practice.

Transfer, Europe, Australia, recruit, JC....anywhere

Is that enough to ask for?  Lol

Ah, A.J. Guyton, who was overlooked coming out of high school.  He scored 2100 points at IU, currently 4th all time, and was Big Ten POY as a senior.

From his bio:

Guyton was never a major physical presence, but decided early he was never going to be outworked.

“I was 11 or 12 and I went to ISU for a camp,” Guyton said. “They brought in Thomas Hill of Duke and he said, ‘eat, sleep and drink basketball.’

“I was an average grade school basketball player. But I wanted to learn everything I could about the game. I started really paying attention and improved at basketball.”

15 hours ago, Cutter said:

I don't know if we make the tournament or not next year but I don't think the people who make the decision will make him feel any heat until after his fourth or fifth year. Some of the fans will be belly aching that's for sure but that won't . My matter until year 4 or 5. Some think it should start now but I disagree.  Disappointed in this season bit there are numerous factors for this year's failure.  Just my opinion

This. Let's look at our neighbors in the Maize and Blue to the north.

From 1997 to 2007, with Brian Ellerbe and then Tommy Amaker, they were 171-143. They hired Amaker from Seton Hall where he was 68-55 with one NCAA appearance.

Then they hired John Belien, who was 104-60 at WV, with two NCAA appearances. He was hired after WV won the NIT. He then went 46-53 his first 3 seasons at MI.

Since then, he's 377-222 and considered one of the top coaches in CBB. I think most IU fans would be happy with his results.

At Dayton, CAM was 139-63, with four straight NCAA appearances and two straight conference championships.

Is it more likely that CAM is Tommy Amaker or John Belien (or potentially better)? Time will tell (odds favor the latter), but CAM was clearly at the top of the list any time there were job openings during his last seasons at Dayton.

42 minutes ago, Feathery said:

What crazy expectations? That he is a good shooter? 

Multiple people on this board have said he’s going to be the best player on the team next year, potential All-American, etc., etc.  

Even expecting him to shoot well from three seems totally speculative to me.  He’s a 3/4 that wasn’t known for his shooting in high school, and that’s not even taking his “leg condition” into account.  I’m just hoping he’ll be healthy enough to play meaningful minutes by the time next season starts.

Archived