It's time to be like UNC/Nova/MSU

It's time to stop chasing every top ranked player and build a program.

It's time to recruit players who want to be part of a program. Who want to be part of the university. Who want to be student athletes.

Leave the basketball mercenaries to the Dukes, Kentucky's and Kansas.

This program was never about top 20 players stacked on top of each other.

Knight had two players leave early. Just build a consistent winner and the program will gradually get back to what it can be again.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw that perennial garbage teams Mississippi and Mississippi State are locks for the tourney.  

This tells me it isn't that hard to get in.  How many coaching changes have they went through?  How many more advantages does IU have over them?

Kids like TJD is a no brainer and Romeo was so unique IU has no choice but to get in the fold but identifying Aaron Henry's, Rob Phinisee's, and Armaan Franklin's, you gotta be darn good at this.  We didn't need Henry but dang he's going to make us pay for years.  And I'm fully aware he had his chance and took too long.  

Give CAM time, and I think we will see this.  I was watching the BIG tournament and they quoted Izzo saying he was glad he had an AD that believed in him after his 3rd yr because it was such a bad year. We need to be patient. We have a good coach, and we can't beat CAM up for the last 20 yrs of IU bball.

Can't have it both ways.  Let's close down the borders ! But not go after a kid who plays in Indiana, who happens to be a five star ?  As much as I am against one and done players..... what kind of precedent does that set for other kids coming up the ranks in the great state of Indiana ? Not to go after an Indiana kid who happens to be a five star, just does not make sense to me. 

37 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Can't have it both ways.  Let's close down the borders ! But not go after a kid who plays in Indiana, who happens to be a five star ?  As much as I am against one and done players..... what kind of precedent does that set for other kids coming up the ranks in the great state of Indiana ? Not to go after an Indiana kid who happens to be a five star, just does not make sense to me. 

Inside out is the correct philosophy. Gotta go for Brooks. At this point, I think they should look for someone outside the state for the 2019 class. 

I agree about the "inside out" philosophy. But we can't let guys like Kyle Guy get away anymore. 

I always thought Indiana produced basketball players. Guys like Tom Coverdale, Mike Woodson, Calbert Cheney, Kyle Guy and the ultimates, Larry Bird and Oscar Robertson. Guys who knew how to play basketball. Not just athletic talents that happened to play basketball. Guys who seemed to know where the ball was going and better yet, where it should go. I think IU Scott talks about this a lot, and he's right.

Just think the difference a Kyle Guy type would have made in this year's team.

Hopefully, Archie can recognize those types and successfully mix them with 5 star kids.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree about the "inside out" philosophy. But we can't overlook guys like Kyle Guy anymore. 

I always thought Indiana produced basketball players. Guys like Tom Coverdale, Mike Woodson, Calbert Cheney, Kyle Guy and the ultimates, Larry Bird and Oscar Robertson. Guys who knew how to play basketball. Not just athletic talents that happened to play basketball. Guys who seemed to know where the ball was going and better yet, where it should go. I think IU Scott talks about this a lot, and he's right.

Hopefully, Archie can recognize those types and successfully mix them with 5 star kids.

We did not overlook Kyle Guy. Crean just totally screwed up the recruitment. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I agree about the "inside out" philosophy. But we can't overlook guys like Kyle Guy anymore. 

{cough}{cough}Luke Brown{cough}{cough}...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

We recruited Kyle Guy, he just didn't like Crean. I don't think there's a poster on the board who didn't want him. 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

UNC last night started 3 seniors one which is a 5th year senior a junior and a freshman.  That is the type of experience I want to see playing at IU and want to see us stay old.

That takes time, but I think we are getting there. If our roster doesn't change going into next year, we could very easily start a two seniors, a junior, a sophomore and a freshman. 

1 minute ago, southsidehoosier said:

Of the other blue bloods I like this approach the best. Except our players go to class

Most of their players come in ranked around 25-75 so they are really good players but are not the players who will leave after a year or two.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Most of their players come in ranked around 25-75 so they are really good players but are not the players who will leave after a year or two.

That's who we need. We need Daryl Thomas, Calber Cheabey, Alan Henderson, etc. to go with the Tom Coverdales, Steve Alfords, Brian Evans, AJ Guytons of the world 

19 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

We recruited Kyle Guy, he just didn't like Crean. I don't think there's a poster on the board who didn't want him. 

Not saying IUFLA was doing this, but for some reason a lot of posters think Guy is in the Jordan Hulls mode or one of these underrecruited Indiana kids that did great somewhere else. He was a McDonald’s All-American. 

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Not saying IUFLA was doing this, but for some reason a lot of posters think Guy is in the Jordan Hulls mode or one of these underrecruited Indiana kids that did great somewhere else. He was a McDonald’s All-American. 

Ah, well, I did. I did not know the underlying circumstances of Guy's recruitment. I had a period of about 5 years where I was kinda adrift as far as forums go, and didn't follow recruiting all that closely. Watched the vast majority of the games though.

5 hours ago, Coach1K said:

UNC has looked like a team that could win it all. 

UNC runs with the ball like Crean dreams of. They literally run make or miss. I gotta say if a team can slow them down into a half court game like UK and Michigan did...they will get beat. Crean however never had the discipline nor the fundamentals to run that system.

I'm still trying to figure out what Archie's even trying to build. What's his dream team look like? What identity is he going for?

Being tough is nice but that's not enough. Top 30 defenses are important but what about the offense? How can he get us in the 75 range?

UNC has a run and gun system that works every few years.

Jay Wright has what I consider to be the perfect system at the moment. 

Tom Izzo puts a lot of wins on the board but he keeps getting slapped in the final rounds. I think he's adjusting though so this year might be different.

Archived