Incredibly Pre-Mature Starting Five for 2020

Let's assume that Romeo is gone, no transfers and no new recruits/grad-transfers (very unlikely IMO). Who do you think starts next year?

Rob

Al

Hunter

TJD

David

Devonte

Thompson

Smith

Franklin/Anderson

Anderson/Franklin

What do you think, HSN? 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Let's assume that Romeo is gone, no transfers and no new recruits/grad-transfers (very unlikely IMO). Who do you think starts next year?

Rob

Al

Hunter

TJD

David

Devonte

Thompson

Smith

Franklin/Anderson

Anderson/Franklin

What do you think, HSN? 

I think your starting five makes sense, but I just don’t see Green and Smith coming back to IU to come off the bench.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think your starting five makes sense, but I just don’t see Green and Smith coming back to IU to come off the bench.

I get what you're saying, but I think Green THRIVED late in the year as a sixth man playing 25-30 minutes. I could easily see him starting over Al, but it seems to work better for everyone to have him come in guns blazing. 

I also am not sure those guys will have information on if they're starting or not anytime close to when they're going to have to make a decision to stay or go. 

41 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I get what you're saying, but I think Green THRIVED late in the year as a sixth man playing 25-30 minutes. I could easily see him starting over Al, but it seems to work better for everyone to have him come in guns blazing. 

I also am not sure those guys will have information on if they're starting or not anytime close to when they're going to have to make a decision to stay or go. 

That may be the case, but if that did happen, I don’t see two freshman who’ve never played a minute at this level taking starting spots from a junior and senior that have combined to start 59 games going over very well in the locker room.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I think Green was like a guy in the last year of his contract playing his best ball to make his self an attractive free agent...could be wrong, i think Smith comes back unless Dad says no,i dont think he will start over TJD...Rob/Hunter/Al/Thompson/TJD

57 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

That may be the case, but if that did happen, I don’t see two freshman who’ve never played a minute at this level taking starting spots from a junior and senior that have combined to start 59 games going over very well in the locker room.

I guess you could view it that way, but I don't see Hunter taking either of their spots. Hes a pretty different player than either of Green or Smith. 

IMO, TJD is going to start and fill Morgan’s spot from the get go.  He will bring rebounding, rim protection, another low post scorer and good mid range shooting.  I could see him starting over Smith rather easily, especially if Smith doesn’t develop an outside shot.

22 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

IMO, TJD is going to start and fill Morgan’s spot from the get go.  He will bring rebounding, rim protection, another low post scorer and good mid range shooting.  I could see him starting over Smith rather easily, especially if Smith doesn’t develop an outside shot.

Watching TJD now.  He's drawn two fouls on the starting center and two fouls in his backup.

Unfortunately, he shoots free throws like IU did this year.

Davis and TJD can't start together.

I'm going to operate that Hunter is healthy, since that wasn't specified in the OP.

Phin

Al

Hunter

Smith

TJD

Green and Davis major minutes off the bench as seniors. Race also getting time.

Based on this year, sadly, I don't think anyone else is ready to contribute next year. But we would need Anderson and Franklin to be ready.

44 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Davis and TJD can't start together.

I'm going to operate that Hunter is healthy, since that wasn't specified in the OP.

Phin

Al

Hunter

Smith

TJD

Green and Davis major minutes off the bench as seniors. Race also getting time.

Based on this year, sadly, I don't think anyone else is ready to contribute next year. But we would need Anderson and Franklin to be ready.

I'm curious why you don't think they can start together?

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I'm curious why you don't think they can start together?

I don't think Archie's ideal lineup features two bigs that don't stretch the floor. I think he did it this year with Morgan and Davis out of necessity to save the season. It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility by any means.

I think there are only 2 certainties of next years starting lineup...Rob and Jerome.

For us to be really good, Smith needs to be more of a 3/4 than a 4. I think he'll always be more of a 4, but he needs to be able to space the floor for us. If he cannot do that, I could see Race potentially filling that role, though unlikely a starter.

I think TJD and Deron will split duties at the 5. We will need depth there since Deron tends to get in foul trouble and TJD will be a freshman. Gotta give the starting nod to the senior.

Then there is the last guard position. Devonte is the best guard amongst Al and Armaan. I see Devonte starting, and how he decides to play will determine whether he holds that starting spot.

Rob -- Devonte -- Jerome -- Smith -- Deron

The 4 is our softest spot. Undersized, under-skilled as a 4, under-skilled as a 3. I think we are really strong at 1-3-5. I think we are very shallow at the 2, barring a grad-transfer. 

20 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I don't think Archie's ideal lineup features two bigs that don't stretch the floor. I think he did it this year with Morgan and Davis out of necessity to save the season. It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility by any means.

The issue is, the roster as it’s currently constructed isn’t going to have any bigs that can space the floor.

Rob

Green

Race

Smith

Davis

Primary bench: Al/Hunter/TJD

Green starts at the 2 over Al, as Al could spell either Rob or Green equally well. Race or Hunter is a coin flip. I went with Race just because Hunter has yet to see action in a college game.

TJD, as talented as he might be, is the perfect reserve for Davis. For those that want the UNC/Nova model, here you go. The freshman isn't the instant savior. Davis, when healthy, can be a hoss. Bring TJD along slowly. Let him take a few knocks without killing his confidence. If he starts hitting his stride, split time between he and Davis 25/15 if neither are in foul trouble. Now you've got 2 competent guys at the 5, both of whom aren't totally anchored to the paint. That's a luxury.

Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Curious for those of you saying Green to start: what makes him leapfrog Al?

I trust Al running the point more than Green. Al makes the best first guard off the bench, since he can relieve either Green or Rob relatively competently.

Archived