Incredibly Pre-Mature Starting Five for 2020

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Milehi Fan said:

I think there is a good chance one of these guys may not be here next year.

Rob, Trayce and Hunter are not transferring.

Unless Devonte or Davis are scheduled to graduate early, I just can't see them transferring and having to sit out a year. Davis seems to love IU, and Devonte is playing a lot and there will be a lot of open minutes in front of him.

I think Moore and Smith will transfer.  Green may stay, so I would go with this lineup.   I like this lineup but will miss Morgan.  

Rob will only get better (need a backup pg) Al if no one else.  

Green  - I think he can play as a 2 guard, but there is a lot of playing time to entice a shooting guard transfer.

Hunter - I think he can guard the 3 and can shoot the 3.

Trayce - gets to play as a stretch 4 (word is he has some range but did what was needed.)

Davis  could be a beast next year.  Race as a backup but lets bring in a large replacement.  

37 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Rob, Trayce and Hunter are not transferring.

Unless Devonte or Davis are scheduled to graduate early, I just can't see them transferring and having to sit out a year. Davis seems to love IU, and Devonte is playing a lot and there will be a lot of open minutes in front of him.

De'Ron isn't leaving IU.

Five years ago.  De'Ron set a goal for himself.  I was there to hear him say it.  To make it to the NBA.  Plan has not changed. Nor has his plan ever not included making it to the NBA through IU after four years.

You are correct. De'Ron loves IU. Heck... he is the one who talked Juwan into staying at IU, after the coaching change.   And expect to see more of his videos, like last summer..... coming this summer. 

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Everyone please read the original post. This topic is not about transfers. 

This.  Can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop speculating about who is leaving?!!!  I hope NOBODY leaves!!!  Once a player announces he's leaving, have at it.  Until then, stop shoving them out the door!  How many "fans" openly campaigned for Devonte Green to leave before he finally posted online "wish granted"?!!!  My, how quickly you look silly when he goes off for 26 and shoots far better than anyone this year from distance when IU's tournament life is on the line.

STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT!!!!!!!

I don't think any of you all have any idea how much damage that kind of talk does in the minds of players...especially when you call them by name.

I'm to the point where I don't care who I piss off anymore...I am sick and tired of the annual transfer speculation. Enough already!

Hallelujah...AMEN!!! Where's the Tylenol?

29 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Everyone please read the original post. This topic is not about transfers. 

This is comical.  A couple weeks ago I logged on to the Keion thread, only to find page after page of everything except Keion news.  I stated that I didn’t understand why I cant get any news relating to Keion in the Keion thread, only to get lectured by other members about being uptight.  Where were the mods then?

I simply stated a member of someone’s starting 5 may not be here, and I get this reply.  I have never been one to argue or create problems on this site.  But what do I know, I am not a mod for an internet basketball forum.  No worries, I am sure there are other sites out there.  Peace.

23 minutes ago, Milehi Fan said:

This is comical.  A couple weeks ago I logged on to the Keion thread, only to find page after page of everything except Keion news.  I stated that I didn’t understand why I cant get any news relating to Keion in the Keion thread, only to get lectured by other members about being uptight.  Where were the mods then?

I simply stated a member of someone’s starting 5 may not be here, and I get this reply.  I have never been one to argue or create problems on this site.  But what do I know, I am not a mod for an internet basketball forum.  No worries, I am sure there are other sites out there.  Peace.

Cute. This is the first post. Not sure what’s hard to understand. Can you not read, or did you just not care?

Let's assume that Romeo is gone, no transfers and no new recruits/grad-transfers (very unlikely IMO). Who do you think starts next year?

19 minutes ago, Milehi Fan said:

You were collateral damage than anything and far from the worst offender in the transfer speculation game...at least you didn't name names like some have here.  Don't take it personally as DJ's admonishment simply reminded me how badly I hate transfer speculation, especially when current players are singled out.  If I were Archie, dogging players and speculating which ones would transfer to make room for the latest shiny recruit would drive me absolutely nuts.  Much more so than personal criticism about my coaching.

...and yes, keeping posts on topic is a full-time job as most of us are guilty of shooting off on various semi-related tangents.  I've done it myself even though I know better. Peace back at you.

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Cute. This is the first post. Not sure what’s hard to understand. Can you not read, or did you just not care?

Let's assume that Romeo is gone, no transfers and no new recruits/grad-transfers (very unlikely IMO). Who do you think starts next year?

Nice personal attack DJ. Very professional.  “Can you not read”?  Not everyone enjoys personal attacks, nor was it deserved.  

Hard to speculate until I 100% know Romeo is gone.  If he really does slide into the 20's as some mocks have suggested, I think there is a real chance he stays, polishes his shot and enjoys another year of college.

That would make for some really fun lineup combos to speculate on...

Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

So you can read. So you just ignored KoBs request when you posted. Cool!

It’s a shame that our top notch mods like CC and MileHi allow this type of demeaning behavior from a fellow mod.  “So you can read?”...you have no right to talk down to me like you do.

If we don't add anyone else it's hard to imagine Smith not starting. He started this year, stands to reason that the only way he loses his spot is if someone new comes in. Our lineup is Phinisee, Green, Hunter, Smith, Jackson-Davis. Though, if I had to guess, I think someone comes in and pushes Green to the bench.

TJD probably isn't as good as a senior Morgan, but his length makes him a better fit for the role. Hunter doesn't end up scoring as many points as Romeo, but his shooting helps with spacing. A year of improvement from Phinisee and Green pushes us to a better and more complete team than we have right now. That leaves more room for Smith to score around the hoop and he has the kind of year that makes people say he deserves to be 3rd team all-conference - though he probably falls short. All in all that gets us ranked around 20th a year from now and we've got just enough fire power to be dangerous in the tournament. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

If we don't add anyone else it's hard to imagine Smith not starting. He started this year, stands to reason that the only way he loses his spot is if someone new comes in. Our lineup is Phinisee, Green, Hunter, Smith, Jackson-Davis. Though, if I had to guess, I think someone comes in and pushes Green to the bench.

TJD probably isn't as good as a senior Morgan, but his length makes him a better fit for the role. Hunter doesn't end up scoring as many points as Romeo, but his shooting helps with spacing. A year of improvement from Phinisee and Green pushes us to a better and more complete team than we have right now. That leaves more room for Smith to score around the hoop and he has the kind of year that makes people say he deserves to be 3rd team all-conference - though he probably falls short. All in all that gets us ranked around 20th a year from now and we've got just enough fire power to be dangerous in the tournament. 

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Priming the pump for the preseason hype train.  Unfortunately, I'm taking the wait and see approach with a little bit of hope.  I think next year we still lose close and year 4 we start winning.  

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

De'Ron isn't leaving IU.

Five years ago.  De'Ron set a goal for himself.  I was there to hear him say it.  To make it to the NBA.  Plan has not changed. Nor has his plan ever not included making it to the NBA through IU after four years.

You are correct. De'Ron loves IU. Heck... he is the one who talked Juwan into staying at IU, after the coaching change.   And expect to see more of his videos, like last summer..... coming this summer. 

Really hope he can get healthy, remain healthy and take his conditioning seriously. You can see the talent he has. Hands are good to great....just needs to honestly lay off the bad calories (Kilroys) and take conditioning serious one time. 

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

RP

Green

Hunter(hopefully healthy)

Smith

Davis

I don't think it is a fore gone conclusion that TJD with start from day one.  There are at least two 5 star all Americans that are not starting this year so it is not automatic that a 5 star will start for day 1

TJD will start from Day 1 because he's the best big we have right now. 

My lineup would be RP/Al/Jerome/TJD/Davis....but I have so many question marks. Probably Archie's most important off season for his time at IU. Al, Green, Justin Smith, and Davis.....4 recruits from previous administration need to put the work in. Work on shot, work on conditioning, work on mental approach to game

Back to OP. I only feel comfortable saying RP/Jerome (if healthy)/TJD right now. The other 2 spots need to be earned in the summer months.

Archived