Incredibly Pre-Mature Starting Five for 2020

Clearly the two glaring holes on this roster are the 2-spot and the 4-spot. I think the 4-spot can be solved with what IU currently has (TJD and/or improvement from Smith and Race), I’m not sure the 2-spot can unless Langford shocks us and comes back. 

We’re still pretty light in the backcourt. At the moment, I’m of the opinion that Green is better suited in the 6th man, scorer off the bench role. Also, I love Al, I really do, but I don’t think he’s a starter on a really good Big Ten team. He’d be great as a Swiss Army knife, defender, energy guy off the bench on a really good team. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Clearly the two glaring holes on this roster are the 2-spot and the 4-spot. I think the 4-spot can be solved with what IU currently has (TJD and/or improvement from Smith and Race), I’m not sure the 2-spot can unless Langford shocks us and comes back. 

We’re still pretty light in the backcourt. At the moment, I’m of the opinion that Green is better suited in the 6th man, scorer off the bench role. Also, I love Al, I really do, but I don’t think he’s a starter on a really good Big Ten team. He’d be great as a Swiss Army knife, defender, energy guy off the bench on a really good team. 

I think I agree with all of this, but I am kind of torn, too. If Al improves as much this off-season as he did last, why can't he be a starter on a really good team?

He's a good secondary ball handler, good defender, finishes well; one one step of improvement shooting and I think he can be an above average two guard. Needs to make 3-5% more of his threes on about 5 per game IMO. 

21 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

I think Green was like a guy in the last year of his contract playing his best ball to make his self an attractive free agent...could be wrong, i think Smith comes back unless Dad says no,i dont think he will start over TJD...Rob/Hunter/Al/Thompson/TJD

Too soon to tell.

Possible, but I think some of us are underestimating how much fun some of these guys have playing with Rob- healthy-  and the benefits of sticking around to do it once it becomes his team.

For all we know this could even be Green's team next season. Up to him and the way he has played of late shows him it can work really well for him here when he brings that urgency full time. 

I'm not being personal and just saying this aside of what the games might have led one to believe or not- since I can picture the scenarios you laid out being possible. ...It is still premature transfer talk in-season whether carefully worded or not and whether there is one game left or more.  That is unless IU misses the NCAAT and refuses another tourney bid.

If anyone leaves after the games are done for the year, I'll be right in front of the line to say what I hope happens with doors and rear ends. Til then  though...

Rob- Al- Franklin

Green- Al - Damezi

Hunter- Smith

Smith- Race- Forrester

Davis- TJD- Moore

I do like Green in the 6th man role but as a Senior, I'd give him first crack at starting. 

Bigs take longer to develop and learn to play D so I'm letting TJD ease into things behind Davis. He can play 15 min there and be ready to replace Davis next year. 

We'll need Race to get comfortable on Offense, Smith to gain some confidence in his outside shot and Rob to pick some more spots to score.

Everything falls into place and I think we can challenge for the top of the conference.

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree with almost all of this post. We desperately need to add a lights out shooter at the 2. I would feel really good about Al Durham as a combo guard you can rely on off the bench.

I'm not in love with TJD or Smith at the 4. Really don't want to go another season starting multiple players who can't shoot. I see TJD as a 5. Smith needs to develop a competent jump shot or he is not an IU level player offensively. Race didn't show it this year but he had a rep as a decent shooter coming in. Archie quote on Race before this season:

"He’s got a good IQ, and as the season starts of evolve, hopefully offensively, his niche can start to be more of a perimeter face-up guy than he is more of a back-to-the-basket guy."

CAM’s stated objective is to have his team become older. As good as TJD may be, he is going to be inconsistent like almost every freshman is. He also is going to go up against kids who have had the benefit of multiple years of weight/strength training. I would hope that with Davis, Thompson and maybe Moore, that we can bring Trace along slowly. 

I would start the year with all experienced starters

Deron

Devonte

Rob

Justin

Romeo/Al or Hunter- the one exception but he has been in the system longer

Bring in freshmen and increase their playing time if they deserve it as the season progresses 

16 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

CAM’s stated objective is to have his team become older. As good as TJD may be, he is going to be inconsistent like almost every freshman is. He also is going to go up against kids who have had the benefit of multiple years of weight/strength training. I would hope that with Davis, Thompson and maybe Moore, that we can bring Trace along slowly. 

I would start the year with all experienced starters

Deron

Devonte

Rob

Justin

Romeo/Al or Hunter- the one exception but he has been in the system longer

Bring in freshmen and increase their playing time if they deserve it as the season progresses 

I agree with this. I think the Devonte/Al decision hangs on a couple of factors.

If Romeo does come back (and I know the chances are small) then I think Al will start and Devonte would come of the bench, just as it happened this year. If Romeo is gone, I can see Devonte starting. 

I also think a lot hinges on who improves the most over the summer. This year, I thought it was Al, particularly his outside shooting. If he makes another leap there, and can increase his strength, I like his starting chances.

One thing I would like Al, Devonte, and Rob to work on is their drive and kick/pass on the interior. It seemed to me when each one of those guys went to the basket, they were only looking to shoot.

That, and work on taking charges.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with this. I think the Devonte/Al decision hangs on a couple of factors.

If Romeo does come back (and I know the chances are small) then I think Al will start and Devonte would come of the bench, just as it happened this year. If Romeo is gone, I can see Devonte starting. 

I also think a lot hinges on who improves the most over the summer. This year, I thought it was Al, particularly his outside shooting. If he makes another leap there, and can increase his strength, I like his starting chances.

One thing I would like Al, Devonte, and Rob to work on is their drive and kick/pass on the interior. It seemed to me when each one of those guys went to the basket, they were only looking to shoot.

That, and work on taking charges.

To me if Romeo would come back this would be my starting lineup but I think it is highly unlikely that will happen.

RP

Romeo

Hunter

Davis

Smith or TJD

To me I am not sure why Green would transfer unless he would classify as a "graduate transfer" if he plans on graduating early.  If he transferred wouldn't he have to sit out one year while he is a SR?

Without Romeo:

RP/Durham

Green/Franklin or Anderson

Hunter/Smith or Franklin or Anderson

Smith/Race/TJD

DeRon/TJD/Forrester/Moore

With Romeo:

RP/Durham or Green

Romeo/Green/Franklin or Anderson

Hunter/Smith/Franklin or Anderson

Smith/Race/TJD

DeRon/TJD/Forrester/Moore

I'm blowing off the prereq. about Romeo leaving.  If he plays in the NIT, i think he is staying. I like how Watford mentioned his brother will be helping him a lot in determining his choice.

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2019/03/mountain-brook-5-star-trendon-watford-talks-recruiting-timetable.html

I think other than Rob there are a ton of ifs but my Starting lineup is:

TJD 

Watford - probably as likely on the team as Romeo next year

Smith - improves his perimeter game

romeo - probably gone but as Yogi Berra said.  He ain't gone until he is gone. 

Rob

The bench would be awesome and anyone of these guys could probably start if an opening in the starting lineup occurs or they could earn a starting spot.  

Race

Deron

Hunter

Al

Green

Franklin

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

I like how Watford mentioned his brother will be helping him a lot in determining his choice.

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2019/03/mountain-brook-5-star-trendon-watford-talks-recruiting-timetable.html

Christian, you've given a lot to IU.  You're already immortalized in Bloomington. There isn't much more we can offer, but please......deliver for us one more time. 

Sincerely,

Hoosier Nation

Phinisee and TJD are locks. Whether Davis starts or not will depend on his condition (injury, conditioning level, etc.) and how well he plays with TJD. I think there's a good chance Durham would start because of his size, long-range shooting, and defense. Hunter is a wild card; we haven't seen him on the court. I expect he'd have some growing pain. My wild guess is...

Thompson

TJD

Smith (could be Hunter)

Durham

Phinisee

1 minute ago, addictedtoIU said:

Phinisee and TJD are locks. Whether Davis starts or not will depend on his condition (injury, conditioning level, etc.) and how well he plays with TJD. I think there's a good chance Durham would start because of his size, long-range shooting, and defense. Hunter is a wild card; we haven't seen him on the court. I expect he'd have some growing pain. My wild guess is...

Thompson

TJD

Smith (could be Hunter)

Durham

Phinisee

I would not say TJD is a lock to start

Starters if Romeo stays

RP

Romeo

Hunter

Davis

Smith or TJD

Starters if Romeo leaves

RP

Green

Hunter

Smith or TJD

Davis

Experienced players is the way to go.  Build on that.  Prove to freshman, if they want to get PT, and not use IU as a stepping stone, there is only one way... Stay with the team. Work hard at your craft.  And get rewarded for your dedication and hard work.... when coach says it  is  your time.  Not the other way around.  

I am tired of the OAD's that just want to use IU, for themselves.... rather than those that want to help to  rebuild a program.

Give me a De'Ron Davis over a Noah Vonleh, any time of the week.... and twice on Sundays !

1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

Thompson

TJD

Smith (could be Hunter)

Durham

Phinisee

Don’t see us ever going away from the three guard lineup.

15 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Don’t see us ever going away from the three guard lineup.

That remains to be seen. 3-guard lineup is something I don't like to see unless our 3 guards can defend well and shoot 3s in high percentages. We play in slow pace mostly and not having good size doesn't seem to help us offensively. 

PG: Phinisee, Green; SG: Franklin, Durham; SF: Hunter, Smith, Anderson; PF: Jackson-Davis, Thompson, Forrester, Moore; Center: Davis

Next year should be promising. I think Franklin has a chance to claim the starting SG spot like Phinisee earned the starting PG role. Anderson is not a 2; he is closer to a 4. 

Last offseason, a ton of people's projected lineups had Smith at the 3, even though he never played the 3 as a freshman. Then he came out this season and didn't play a minute at the 3 again. Because he doesn't have any perimeter skills.

Are we seriously going to go another offseason with people pretending he's a 3?

3 hours ago, Shooter said:

Last offseason, a ton of people's projected lineups had Smith at the 3, even though he never played the 3 as a freshman. Then he came out this season and didn't play a minute at the 3 again. Because he doesn't have any perimeter skills.

Agree. There’s nothing he’s ever done on the court at IU to suggest he can play on the perimeter. 

3 hours ago, Shooter said:

It appears that is the case. I don't see anything in his game that makes me think he can play the three. 

Archived