Incredibly Pre-Mature Starting Five for 2020

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

That remains to be seen. 3-guard lineup is something I don't like to see unless our 3 guards can defend well and shoot 3s in high percentages. We play in slow pace mostly and not having good size doesn't seem to help us offensively. 

But does it remain to be seen?  Archie’s been here for two whole seasons now and I would say we’ve seen 3 guards on the floor for at least 95% of the total minutes played, if not more.  I can’t think of a single time this season that we saw a lineup with two guards and three of Morgan/Smith/Fitzner/Davis/Thompson/Moore/Forrester on the floor.  And it’s not like we had a deep guard rotation this year either.

On 3/16/2019 at 7:09 PM, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Both Green and Al fit that same bill and Archie went with Al this season. Not sure what changes that.

Durham will be a starter, he brings energy, intelligence and leadership. He and Davis will be the leaders, predicting those two as captains.

9 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

But does it remain to be seen?  Archie’s been here for two whole seasons now and I would say we’ve seen 3 guards on the floor for at least 95% of the total minutes played, if not more.  I can’t think of a single time this season that we saw a lineup with two guards and three of Morgan/Smith/Fitzner/Davis/Thompson/Moore/Forrester on the floor.  And it’s not like we had a deep guard rotation this year either.

You may be right, but I thought of it as Archie featuring the best 5 in the starting lineup. Not long after he took over the position, he said he wanted 'size' in his lineup. My take was Morgan-Smith-Langford-Durham-Phinisee lineup was the one he may have believed he could play more than 25 min/game with any consistency. Obviously, we know the result; the performance was far from consistent, but whatever the reason was, that was all he had. 

i actually really like speculating about stuff like this, but i feel like next year may be the toughest year ever to even have a clue as of today.  i mean, i would think RP is a safe lock.  i would think TJD would be a safe lock.  from there?  Hunter's health and he is unproven?  will Smith be a Hoosier?  will Green be a Hoosier?  Al's probably got a good shot.  Davis?  this is all me not even being willing to discuss Romeo staying because i can't see that as a possibility.  

I think Hunter is still a question mark so I have a hard time inserting him into the lineup if I cannot guarantee his health.

So right now going off who we know is going to be here:

RP, Durham, Green, Smith, TJD.

Deron, Race, and Forrester to back the 4 and 5 and Franklin and Anderson to back the 1-3.  If Hunter is available I would slot him as the starting 3 and have Durham be the first guard off the bench.

Romeo is NOT coming back.   Millions of reasons not to.  There is no change to the plan.

Smith has played well lately and was engaged in the game even though it looked like he was told not to shot the 3.  With that said, I think he is gone.  I think we fill 3 spots.  Romeo, Smith and Moore.

Archived