HTD's favorite topic

rico

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The thread title is called Purdue, so that’s what you get here. If you’re offended by talking about Purdue, the thread title kind of gives it away.  

I don’t read Rico’s comments as gushing about Purdue.  He’s being real.  It doesn’t hurt anyone to be realistic and objective, even if it’s a rival.  The reality is Purdue is really good and the sky is the limit.  It doesn’t matter that they’ve lost in the past.  I doubt Edwards cares what happened when the Big Dog was here.  They are really good and it is what it is.  That doesn’t make me or Rico or anyone  else a Purdue fan if we can be objective and function in the real world.  There’s plenty of time to kick Purdue when they are down.  This is not one of those times as they are talented, well rounded, smart and tough.  I wouldn’t undersell them just because of underachieving past results.  

Ok. Thanks for the lecture.

Purdue sucks.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this thread remind me a little of Lavar Ball.  every time someone like me responds about why are we gushing over Purdue on an IU thread, it just contributes to more attention and more posts.  attention whether positive or negative is still attention.  dang, i did it again!  no more posts on this thread!  i'm going to go start one on Kentucky or Notre Dame!

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I really hate to say this but I think this might be the year that Purdue makes a run in the tournament.  They don't have the most talent but to me they play better as a team better than anyone else in the country.

Purdue does play great as a team, but one team that I have not watched is Wichita St.  But anyway, the Boilers chances at a deep run are contingent on two things IMO.  Seeding and staying away from injuries.  The latter being a big one.  

I haven't watched Purdue play and have no intention of spending any of my time doing so.  That said, from all accounts (and results) they are a really good team having a very successful season thus far.  They've had an abundance of one thing we haven't had for a long time and that's a big man (or multiple big men) who can battle under the boards.  They also have veteran players and shooters.

The one takeaway is that it is NOT necessary to have one-and-done players to build a really good team, but you do need to assemble it as a team.  I believe Archie is going to build teams far better than our previous coach did.

14 minutes ago, rico said:

Purdue does play great as a team, but one team that I have not watched is Wichita St.  But anyway, the Boilers chances at a deep run are contingent on two things IMO.  Seeding and staying away from injuries.  The latter being a big one.  

Injuries can derail everything. As we know. Seeding to me is very very close to being equal as well. Our 2016 seeding is one for the ages. Kentucky, Carolina just to make elite 8. 

20 minutes ago, rico said:

Not sure if you mean matchups as part of seeding or not, but that can be a factor regardless of what seed you are.  

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Injuries can derail everything. As we know. Seeding to me is very very close to being equal as well. Our 2016 seeding is one for the ages. Kentucky, Carolina just to make elite 8. 

Even UK fans complain about that!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Not sure if you mean matchups as part of seeding or not, but that can be a factor regardless of what seed you are.  

I agree because I think teams like Virginia, Villanova and Wichita St could give PU the most troubles..  Those teams play great defense and play hard and those teams can match up with Purdue.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

The committee won't stack their region like they did with ours. Nobody outside this state gives a crap about Purdue. The last two years they've been in probably the easiest region.

7 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

The committee won't stack their region like they did with ours. Nobody outside this state gives a crap about Purdue. The last two years they've been in probably the easiest region.

So the committee stacks the region against IU but won’t against Purdue? You don’t actually believe that do you? Plenty of people give a crap about Purdue outside of this state. That’s a laughable statement. 

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

So the committee stacks the region against IU but won’t against Purdue? You don’t actually believe that do you? Plenty of people give a crap about Purdue outside of this state. That’s a laughable statement. 

To be fair, anyone region that has Purdue in it will inherently be considered the easiest region for the other 15 teams in it. :coffee:

22 hours ago, Dr. Jones said:

Provide your list when you have time.  I want to compare to mine

Of Those have watched so far, I think West Virginia, Virginia, Oklahoma and Duke would handle Purdue most games. I think Michigan State, Xavier, Villanova, Seton Hall, Cincinnati,  and UNC would have better than even odds any given game. I have not watched Gonzaga, Texas Tech, Wichita State, or Kansas yet so one or more of those teams might make the second list as well. 

10 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The vast majority of people outside of Indiana don’t even know what state Purdue is located in.

I always laugh when I hear people say this. Is it supposed to be a diss? Even if they don’t know it’s in Indiana, the vast majority of people know about Purdue which is more important than location. They know it’s a great school. But if they think it’s in another state that’s a knock against Purdue? Lol. Every time I’ve been far from Indiana and I’ve mentioned I went to Purdue, the response is always overwhelmingly positive. 

19 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I really hate to say this but I think this might be the year that Purdue makes a run in the tournament.  They don't have the most talent but to me they play better as a team better than anyone else in the country.

I'm pretty much where you're at on Purdue's chances for an NCAA run.  The NBA talent is borderline on this year's Purdue team, and usually a champ has a 2 or 3 solid NBA talents.

57 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

Of Those have watched so far, I think West Virginia, Virginia, Oklahoma and Duke would handle Purdue most games. I think Michigan State, Xavier, Villanova, Seton Hall, Cincinnati,  and UNC would have better than even odds any given game. I have not watched Gonzaga, Texas Tech, Wichita State, or Kansas yet so one or more of those teams might make the second list as well. 

Purdue beat WVU pretty easily in a preseason scrimmage. I don’t think I’d agree that they’d handle Purdue most games. 

3 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

The one takeaway is that it is NOT necessary to have one-and-done players to build a really good team, but you do need to assemble it as a team.  I believe Archie is going to build teams far better than our previous coach did.

I know/think you didn't mean it this way, but I don't think anybody has said you need one and done players to build really good teams. The only one and done teams to ever win a title were UK in 2012 and Duke in 2014 (?). You can win with one and done's and you can win with seniors, the key IMO to your post is the second part, building teams. Building pieces that fit together. Not to go backwards, but IMO Crean recruited players, he didn't build teams. Some of that was due to the shotgun approach he had to recruiting. 

I agree with you, from what I've seen of Archie and from what he says, I believe he's trying to build teams. We currently have a team that last a pg, lacks length and athleticism and lacks a true scorer. So, what do we have coming next year? A true point guard (Phinisee), two wings with size, length and athleticism (Hunter and Anderson) and a big with length and athleticism (Forrester), and our final target is a straight scorer (Langford). 

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue beat WVU pretty easily in a preseason scrimmage. I don’t think I’d agree that they’d handle Purdue most games. 

How is a preseason scrimmage relevant in any way? Eliminating WVU from the list of teams that would handle Purdue most games because of a pre-season scrimmage would be worse than including WKU, and Tennessee to the list simply because they beat Purdue earlier in the year. From what I have seen of WVU and Purdue, Purdue would need a lot of help to stay within 10 points of WVU in a real game. 

5 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

How is a preseason scrimmage relevant in any way? Eliminating WVU from the list of teams that would handle Purdue most games because of a pre-season scrimmage would be worse than including WKU, and Tennessee to the list simply because they beat Purdue earlier in the year. From what I have seen of WVU and Purdue, Purdue would need a lot of help to stay within 10 points of WVU in a real game. 

Would need a lot of help to stay within 10? Who on their team would guard Haas? I think the line would be pretty even. Not sure why you think WVU has such a significant advantage. 

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Would need a lot of help to stay within 10? Who on their team would guard Haas? I think the line would be pretty even. Not sure why you think WVU has such a significant advantage. 

Haas? WVU looks easily capable of shutting Purdue down on the perimeter and once that happens Haas becomes irrelevant. Even if the WVU pressure doesn't stop the entry passes into him, Haas is not capable of winning the game all by himself even if he scores 30+ points. 

Archived