HTD's favorite topic

rico

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I know/think you didn't mean it this way, but I don't think anybody has said you need one and done players to build really good teams. The only one and done teams to ever win a title were UK in 2012 and Duke in 2014 (?). You can win with one and done's and you can win with seniors, the key IMO to your post is the second part, building teams. Building pieces that fit together. Not to go backwards, but IMO Crean recruited players, he didn't build teams. Some of that was due to the shotgun approach he had to recruiting. 

I agree with you, from what I've seen of Archie and from what he says, I believe he's trying to build teams. We currently have a team that last a pg, lacks length and athleticism and lacks a true scorer. So, what do we have coming next year? A true point guard (Phinisee), two wings with size, length and athleticism (Hunter and Anderson) and a big with length and athleticism (Forrester), and our final target is a straight scorer (Langford). 

I think we need some defensive rebounding to make some noise in NCAAT next year.  That would just make our defense so much better.  Juwan is a good defensive rebounder.  I think Davis could be, also.  In fact he could be a very good defensive rebounder with his height and body type. 

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hoosierBGH said:

Haas? WVU looks easily capable of shutting Purdue down on the perimeter and once that happens Haas becomes irrelevant. Even if the WVU pressure doesn't stop the entry passes into him, Haas is not capable of winning the game all by himself even if he scores 30+ points. 

Haas isn’t capable of winning the game by himself? Couldn’t disagree with you more. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Haas isn’t capable of winning the game by himself? Couldn’t disagree with you more. 

This thread keeps going in different directions. I think Haas is a very good player. Is he put the team on his back guy? Not that I've watched. He's a key piece of the wheel...but as we all know. 2 quick fouls by a non Big 10 crew in 2nd round of tourney can change everything. Reason I say that is I thought we were discussing deep tourney run. My fault if we aren't anymore. 

45 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This thread keeps going in different directions. I think Haas is a very good player. Is he put the team on his back guy? Not that I've watched. He's a key piece of the wheel...but as we all know. 2 quick fouls by a non Big 10 crew in 2nd round of tourney can change everything. Reason I say that is I thought we were discussing deep tourney run. My fault if we aren't anymore. 

C. Edwards can put them on his back.  But you are right in one case, Haas gets into foul trouble the Boilers are in trouble.  But they got another big man to fill that void.  To me, their starting 5 is as good as any in the country.  I know they don't have any all-Americans but they play cohesive, unselfish basketball.  

I've been looking forward to play Purdue because it's been one of the games I could justify playing Davis big minutes. And his injury has me feeling bummed. 

But on the flip side, I hope that we are the aggressors in this game and are the team that will create a defensive mismatch for Purdue and pull Haas out of the lane. Hopefully get him in foul trouble or on the bench in some way or another. If not, Edwards and Matias are going to burn us. 

Game is at home on the 28th? What are our chances? What will need to happen for us to win? 

19 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I've been looking forward to play Purdue because it's been one of the games I could justify playing Davis big minutes. And his injury has me feeling bummed. 

But on the flip side, I hope that we are the aggressors in this game and are the team that will create a defensive mismatch for Purdue and pull Haas out of the lane. Hopefully get him in foul trouble or on the bench in some way or another. If not, Edwards and Matias are going to burn us. 

Game is at home on the 28th? What are our chances? What will need to happen for us to win? 

I's say slim and none..... And slim just left the building

58 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

It will have to be a ND type of night.  RoJo puts up 20+ and Morgan has a career 35+ night.  Will also need to force TOs and get Edwards and Haas in foul trouble.  Most likely we are going to lose this game.  There is a chance we can pull it off, but its not a very high possibility.  

As much as I want to see Indiana win I don't think it will happen. Purdue has senior leadership and have scorers at all positions. Edwards can handle anyone on Indiana and we have no one to deal with Purdue's twin towers. Purdue's guards can pressure Indiana's guards on offense and they can not only shoot the ball they can take them off the dribble. Indiana's lack of shooting and height will hurt them drastically. 

In my not so expert opinion Purdue would have to play it's worst game and Indiana would have to play it's best game. I love the Hoosier's but I also am a realist. Purdue should win by double digits with Haas, Edwards and Mathias having big games. 

2 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

As much as I want to see Indiana win I don't think it will happen. Purdue has senior leadership and have scorers at all positions. Edwards can handle anyone on Indiana and we have no one to deal with Purdue's twin towers. Purdue's guards can pressure Indiana's guards on offense and they can not only shoot the ball they can take them off the dribble. Indiana's lack of shooting and height will hurt them drastically. 

In my not so expert opinion Purdue would have to play it's worst game and Indiana would have to play it's best game. I love the Hoosier's but I also am a realist. Purdue should win by double digits with Haas, Edwards and Mathias having big games. 

At the end of the day it’s a rivalry game and anything can happen. I remember one of Crean’s teams almost beating Hummel and company when the talent discrepancy was substantial. 

5 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Aside from the worst game/best game scenario(which I agree with).  The Boilers play pretty much 7 players, but you could call it 8.  My take is to throw some gimmick at them that they are not expecting.  Maybe a full court zone and fall back into man to man after the Boilers cross the time line.  Just keep them out of their offensive sets any way we can.  That is all I got for now.

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

At the end of the day it’s a rivalry game and anything can happen. I remember one of Crean’s teams almost beating Hummel and company when the talent discrepancy was substantial. 

Series of ebb and flow. And not really explainable. Right now it's flowing Purdue. 5 seasons ago we beat them by a combined 65. One thing I'll never understand is how Mike Davis went what 8-2 or something like that vs Purdue? 

Can't wait for the days of top 10 matchups each year. 

9 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That's the hope I'm holding on to. These games in the past have had surprising outcomes. 

I think we will approach this game like Duke and attack the basket, but once you guys adjust to that we'll need to be the shooting team that apparently Archie sees in practice. 

Juwan can handle Haas, and Haarms isn’t much of an offensive threat.  The issue is that Juwan is the only player we have that will be able to effectively guard the post against them.  Our best chance to win is getting Haas into foul trouble.  Will also need our guards to be able to hit some shots from the outside on their own home court, which has apparently been too much to ask for up to this point.  

34 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Juwan can handle Haas, and Haarms isn’t much of an offensive threat.  The issue is that Juwan is the only player we have that will be able to effectively guard the post against them.  Our best chance to win is getting Haas into foul trouble.  Will also need our guards to be able to hit some shots from the outside on their own home court, which has apparently been too much to ask for up to this point.  

I'm not as confident Juwan has the size to handle Haas on the block. He's going to have to front the post and make sure Haas doesn't get the ball over the top. McSwain might be athletic enough to help out but he still seems too green to understand how to front the post effectively. Hopefully we don't need him on Haas much in this game. What I love about the match up is on the offensive end. Haas is terrible guarding perimeter shooting and is way too slow to recover on a driving forward. So as long as Morgan can keep him somewhat in check on defense and get 16-25 points on offense I'd be happy with that. He'll have plenty of opportunity for open 3's and clear lanes to drive unless Purdue doubles him or goes small.  

Haarms is pretty overrated at this point in my opinion and I have little worry about him against guys like Morgan and Smith. Where I see a major issue is corralling Carson Edwards...his ability to get into the paint and create his own shots is incredible and you have to respect his 3 point shooting which opens up his dribble drive attack. Western Kentucky pretty much let Haas get his in the paint and focused on shutting down C Edwards...in doing so it limited V Edwards and Mathias from getting the wide open looks they need to be productive. If IU wants a blueprint to beating Purdue, watch that game film and emulate it as much as possible. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Series of ebb and flow. And not really explainable. Right now it's flowing Purdue. 5 seasons ago we beat them by a combined 65. One thing I'll never understand is how Mike Davis went what 8-2 or something like that vs Purdue? 

Can't wait for the days of top 10 matchups each year. 

I’m not surprised he went 8-2. Those were the final years of the Keady era and our talent wasn’t great those last few years. 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Will Juwan guard Haas? If so, who will guard Vince for you guys? If Morgan is guarding Haas, I think Haas will have a field day. He has 7 inches and probably 60 pounds on him. I’m guessing if Haas was guarding Morgan, he’d let him shoot 3’s until/unless he proved we had to move out to the perimeter to guard him. Against Michigan, Painter didn’t want Wagner to beat us from 3 since he shoots almost 38% from there. I don’t think Painter will be worried about Morgan since he’s only a 27% 3-point shooter. I’d think Haas would sag off him and dare him to shoot jumpers. 

52 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I'm not as confident Juwan has the size to handle Haas on the block. He's going to have to front the post and make sure Haas doesn't get the ball over the top. McSwain might be athletic enough to help out but he still seems too green to understand how to front the post effectively. Hopefully we don't need him on Haas much in this game. What I love about the match up is on the offensive end. Haas is terrible guarding perimeter shooting and is way too slow to recover on a driving forward. So as long as Morgan can keep him somewhat in check on defense and get 16-25 points on offense I'd be happy with that. He'll have plenty of opportunity for open 3's and clear lanes to drive unless Purdue doubles him or goes small.  

Haarms is pretty overrated at this point in my opinion and I have little worry about him against guys like Morgan and Smith. Where I see a major issue is corralling Carson Edwards...his ability to get into the paint and create his own shots is incredible and you have to respect his 3 point shooting which opens up his dribble drive attack. Western Kentucky pretty much let Haas get his in the paint and focused on shutting down C Edwards...in doing so it limited V Edwards and Mathias from getting the wide open looks they need to be productive. If IU wants a blueprint to beating Purdue, watch that game film and emulate it as much as possible. 

Haarms is pretty overrated?! Lol. He’s a really good defender who can block shots and not get beaten off the dribble like Haas. He’s not a threat on offense right now but how on earth would you call him pretty overrated? 

If Indiana has a chance in this game the key early on will be who gets who in foul trouble. If Morgan gets two quick fouls trying to defend Hass, then game over. If Morgan or Smith (depending on who Haas defends) can draw Haas out defensively and drew some quick fouls on him, or just knock down some perimeter shots because Haas doesn't want to go out there, then IU should be able to get off to a good start and solidify things. 

If Haas draws two quick ones on either Morgan or Smith...game over. IU needs all hands on deck. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Will Juwan guard Haas? If so, who will guard Vince for you guys? If Morgan is guarding Haas, I think Haas will have a field day. He has 7 inches and probably 60 pounds on him. I’m guessing if Haas was guarding Morgan, he’d let him shoot 3’s until/unless he proved we had to move out to the perimeter to guard him. Against Michigan, Painter didn’t want Wagner to beat us from 3 since he shoots almost 38% from there. I don’t think Painter will be worried about Morgan since he’s only a 27% 3-point shooter. I’d think Haas would sag off him and dare him to shoot jumpers. 

The last two games Morgan has hit 5 3's so he is starting to hit from the 3.  I would say Smith would guard Edwards and Smith did a pretty good job on Murphy when we played Minnesota.

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

If Indiana has a chance in this game the key early on will be who gets who in foul trouble. If Morgan gets two quick fouls trying to defend Hass, then game over. If Morgan or Smith (depending on who Haas defends) can draw Haas out defensively and drew some quick fouls on him, or just knock down some perimeter shots because Haas doesn't want to go out there, then IU should be able to get off to a good start and solidify things. 

If Haas draws two quick ones on either Morgan or Smith...game over. IU needs all hands on deck. 

I would put Edwards on Morgan and let Haas just  clog up the middle. Purdue could really play a box and one. Jam up the middle, pressure our guards and force us to shoot from the outside. Unless we are hitting some outside shots we are in trouble. 

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

I would put Edwards on Morgan and let Haas just  clog up the middle. Purdue could really play a box and one. Jam up the middle, pressure our guards and force us to shoot from the outside. Unless we are hitting some outside shots we are in trouble. 

That’s when you need to pray that Smith, RoJo, Hartman and Green are on. 

Archived