DIY projects

19 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

That is awesome.  I know the stress, thinking through how to do something.  It's very rewarding in the end but very stressful.  

Here's my little shiplap wall.  Just got the lights and mirror back on the wall and cleaned up.   

20200322_180237.jpg

Looks fantastic. We actually put shiplap behind our vanity. We went with a single bowl vanity. That way when I kick off my young wife won't have to worry about the other bowl.

IMG_20200322_132559265.jpg

IMG_20200322_132604948.jpg

IMG_20200322_132602609.jpg

IMG_20200322_132551953.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Looks fantastic. We actually put shiplap behind our vanity. We went with a single bowl vanity. That way when I kick off my young wife won't have to worry about the other bowl.

IMG_20200322_132559265.jpg

IMG_20200322_132604948.jpg

IMG_20200322_132602609.jpg

IMG_20200322_132551953.jpg

Oh, that marble will absorb water and turn color on you.  An old trick is to use car wax about twice a year.  

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I have a door opening here that I was looking at either putting a pocket door on or just an exposed sliding door(barn style).

Easiest and currently trendiest would be the barn door for sure.  If you don't have an existing pocket in the wall in place you will have to tear out and install one.   Hindsight I wish I would have had a 3rd put in a certain spot where I didnt have room for a barn door and now it's just a tight area around a tub.  

• Like 1

I installed a pocket door to the bathroom in my last house 10+ years ago and last year put in in 3 barn doors in the basement I finished of the house we bought last summer. Love both of them. Barn doors are trendy. Got mine at Costco for $300 a piece. Might depend on the rest of your decor. If you can go rustic, use the barn door. I'd say they are easier as you don't have to open up the wall.

• Like 2

You guys have done some impressive work, very cool. I’m only a partial DIY guy, smaller jobs — Sink faucets, garage door, caulk bath, no complete remodels.

Funniest to me — after the fact — was putting together a mobile bball goal one year. Directions were in Japanese, with hand drawn pictures. When I was about finished I realized the rim was upside down.

• Haha 6

I used to try and avoid directions. Some are really, really bad. Now, I generally follow them. Made too many mistakes and spent time undoing things to get right (like your basketball rim). Nothing worse then trying to undo one of those self locking fasteners once popped in. 

36 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Well here is a PSA while we all isolate and work on projects. DON'T put your fingers in the circular saw. Took one off at the first knuckle today and I was making some damn good progress on a shed too! !@%@$%^%! 

Sorry Joe didn't mean to like but wanted the sad face. Take care and hope evreything turns out well. Had surgery a year ago for a broken metatarsal bone in my wrist so I understand what you are going through. Get well my brother! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Sorry Joe didn't mean to like but wanted the sad face. Take care and hope evreything turns out well. Had surgery a year ago for a broken metatarsal bone in my wrist so I understand what you are going through. Get well my brother! 

Well it was a PSA so I think the like is acceptable! lol.   51 years to have anything serious, working as a tool maker, welder, firefighter and DIY'er that likes to drink during... I'd say I'm pretty lucky.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Dang Joe.  Sorry to hear that.  Were they able to save it or is it gone?  I cut the tip of my finger off when I was 2 and they sewed it back on.  Have an odd looking fingernail now.  

They put it back on which I figured wouldn’t happen. Fingers crossed that it holds. No pun intended. Lol

• Like 2

On 3/18/2019 at 9:49 PM, Zlinedavid said:

C) Most importantly, gives me leverage to buy new/upgrade power tools. "Of course I can install that flooring, honey. In fact, with that table saw *cough* thatI'vebeenaskingforforthelast3years *cough*, I'd get it done in a lot less time...."

"You can't do the job right, unless you have the right tools". That's what I always tell the wife.

Like you guys, I take pride in fixing something myself. My Dad instilled the concept of trying to fix it yourself when I was 8, when he had Mom's wringer washing machine in parts on the basement floor: "Son...you might as well try fixing stuff yourself first, because the repair guy isn't gonna charge you anything extra if you F it up". Good words to live by for the last 60 years or so.

I do all my own repairs, maintenance on vehicles, even built the last 4 houses for us. I'm the epitome of "jack of all trades...master at none".

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

one of the biggest problems with social distancing is that my wife has a long list of repairs and projects I need to finish. The problem is she is married to a very unmechanically inclined man. Going to he a long few weeks.

What level of "expertise" is needed for said honey-do projects?