DIY projects

23 hours ago, DWB said:

"You can't do the job right, unless you have the right tools". That's what I always tell the wife.

Like you guys, I take pride in fixing something myself. My Dad instilled the concept of trying to fix it yourself when I was 8, when he had Mom's wringer washing machine in parts on the basement floor: "Son...you might as well try fixing stuff yourself first, because the repair guy isn't gonna charge you anything extra if you F it up". Good words to live by for the last 60 years or so.

I do all my own repairs, maintenance on vehicles, even built the last 4 houses for us. I'm the epitome of "jack of all trades...master at none".

With my parents living through the Depression, one of the life lessons my Dad passed on was "Why pay someone X dollars to do something you can do for yourself!" One wonders what "Life Lessons" are going to come out of this CV virus?

19 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

With my parents living through the Depression, one of the life lessons my Dad passed on was "Why pay someone X dollars to do something you can do for yourself!" One wonders what "Life Lessons" are going to come out of this CV virus?

According to a guy I talk to at Home Depot, he says they are busier than hell, because all the guys are coming in to get supplies to work on their "Honey Do" lists.

HD, Lowes, Tractor Supply were all very busy here yesterday, and looks like they have been for quite a while.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DWB said:

According to a guy I talk to at Home Depot, he says they are busier than hell, because all the guys are coming in to get supplies to work on their "Honey Do" lists.

HD, Lowes, Tractor Supply were all very busy here yesterday, and looks like they have been for quite a while.

There was a time I was worried my son would not be able to get it! What little did I know he has two degrees, one in construction management and the other in Architectural technology! He makes me look like a fool! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

There was a time I was worried my son would not be able to get it! What little did I know he has two degrees, one in construction management and the other in Architectural technology! He makes me look like a fool! 

Sounds like he's making you look like a hero, by giving him the opportunities to have a life that is better than his parents. Isn't that part of the American Dream?

Congrats on a great parenting job.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Drroogh said:

It will be “always have extra condoms”. There’s going to be a plethora of curtain climbers! 

On 3/23/2020 at 7:24 AM, rico said:

I have a door opening here that I was looking at either putting a pocket door on or just an exposed sliding door(barn style).

Finally took pics of the barn doors I put in my basement. Wife found the corner door idea on Pinterest. That site creates a ton of work for me! 

20200331_093126.jpg

20200331_093202.jpg

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Here are a few of my latest projects. Im learning the ropes of epoxy resin and cutting boards.  I learned from the epoxy resin that I need to secure anything I pour over as it'll likely float.  Doh!!!  If you're not making mistakes you're not learning. So I've been told. 😄

672B3A76-DBC2-4D7A-AD81-E4B716CB8CE7.jpeg

4BB8DD8D-7EF1-49F0-AB05-45C3EE54FFF2.jpeg

39D8EEE3-5AEB-4232-AE43-20BC7E388172.jpeg

Edited by Naturalhoosier
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

2 out of 4 not bad. Lots of you tube, good game plan but wife wants it done yesterday and I dont drink. Love the advice.  

Good luck my friend. If I were closer I would give you a hand. 

Tell your wife and I speak from experience that it is a two to three weeks process. Good luck on your project and please provide updates.

Jeff

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Good luck my friend. If I were closer I would give you a hand. 

Tell your wife and I speak from experience that it is a two to three weeks process. Good luck on your project and please provide updates.

Jeff

Thank you and I know you would. I will update. I am not skilled so anything will be positive for me. Time to get back at it

6 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

We had some serious water damage that I put off too long. Just finished the bathroom tear out.  I will hopefully have some completion photos by end of the week

Sounds great. Just one question...which year?

• Haha 2

A few years ago I bought a major piece of junk house.  It was the crazy cat lady's before I bought it.  Got it for less than what an empty lot would be (it was $14,900!).  Needless to say, it needed tons of work.  I did a lot of it, but needed a little help from my dad who is a carpenter.  I gutted everything, tore out the foundation, and completely started over.

The only major things I didn't do myself were the foundation, insulation, drywall, and some plumbing.  Almost everything else I did myself, or had a little help from my dad.  It was nice because I was able to figure out what I am good at and what I need to hire somebody for.  Painting, laying floor, electrical.  Knocked those things out.  Doing shower tile...turned out great, but I would pay a lot of money to not have to do that again!  I didn't help myself because I had a lot of small pieces with quite a bit of accents...and 3 niches.  Just got that finished up, and I'm having someone come tomorrow to install the shower door.

I got a raw deal from my bank on my loan, so I've had to fix a lot of things as I get the money, so I'm still trying to finish things up.  I'll try to post a few pictures tomorrow of what I've done so far.

• Like 7

@Leathernecks

My dad, stepdad, an uncle and my grandpa, taught me everything I know about drywall, plumbing, electrical, insulation, roofing, laying floor, hvac, but the best teacher I ever had was my 8th grade shop teacher, Mr. Walden. I could build a house from what he taught me.  

Edited by mrflynn03
Wrong teacher. Mr. Wheeler taught my CAD class.
  • Like 3