DIY projects

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm glad you've had good luck with them...

But the 2 years it took them to admit they had a quality control problem, and the run-around I got wasn't what I would call good business practices...and I guess I'm just a "once burned, lesson learned" kinda guy...

I don't know if you've ever tried to get anything done under the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, but unless that's changed drastically, it isn't worth the paper it's printed on...

Just a word of advice...have every bit of maintenance done at a dealership and documented to save yourself some heartache if you ever do have issues...

That stinks man. I think it may be dealership to dealership but things have definitely changed for the better with these two. My Noblesville Hyundai dealership has been amazing.

Nice job for all you guys that posted pics !

For the rest of us that complain about multiple trips to stores for same job, just bear in mind that in our family, we have a genetic trait that dictates that we turn a 10 minute job, into 4 Days !! Usually includes having to redo/take apart work already "completed" to finish the last 2% (and of course the multiple trips to the store)

Had a contractor install "California" style closet system in the master WIC. Looked good, but when you hung a T-shirt on the rod, the back of the hanger/shirt would rub the wall, big time. Not good. Called the contractor to fix it, and got a bunch of push back that their way (10" clearance from center of rod) was right, versus the standard 12" that everybody else has.

Long story short...I told the contractor to come out and fix it, or rip it off the wall. They came out and ripped it out. I went online to a closet company we had used before in other houses, ordered a new system, had it in 7 days, installed it in one day (over 30 linear feet) and the quality of the material was much better than the contractor, and the installation was structurally more stable. (and it was a LOT less expensive)

• Like 5

We'll, I finished my April project yesterday...took me 6 hours. 5 hours and 45 minutes to charge the batteries, and 15 minutes to install and set up the app 😁

Seriously, hats off to all you DIYers. Some really nice work and some beautiful pics. 

IMG_20200425_073451.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We'll, I finished my April project yesterday...took me 6 hours. 5 hours and 45 minutes to charge the batteries, and 15 minutes to install and set up the app 😁

Seriously, hats off to all you DIYers. Some really nice work and some beautiful pics. 

IMG_20200425_073451.jpg

Can you see me?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/23/2020 at 7:17 PM, Leathernecks said:

Got my closets and shower door installed the last couple days.  The company I used does it for a reasonable price and it is good quality, so definitely not worth my time to try to do it.  I did do the tile in the shower though.

20200423_172409.jpg

20200422_124302.jpg

20200422_124223.jpg

20200422_124211.jpg

Looks fantastic. We can't get our shower door installed due to the quarantine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Looks fantastic. We can't get our shower door installed due to the quarantine.

The company I used is about the only one around our rural area.  When I first contacted them, they were only doing new construction, but they said they needed to have more business so they opened it up to existing homes.

10 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

The company I used is about the only one around our rural area.  When I first contacted them, they were only doing new construction, but they said they needed to have more business so they opened it up to existing homes.

The shower door is the final piece to my bathroom remodel. They were here in March 16th to get all the measurements and the next week they shut everything down until May 15. We put up a temporary shower curtain so the bathroom is functioning. I just want to close the door on that project.

I’ve been ON FIRE in a couple DIY Facebook groups lately. Channeling my inner, Dad jokes super powers. 
one fellow asked for suggestions for a finish or surface treatment on the deck between the house and pool so his kids wouldn’t burn their feet from the sun making the boards too hot. 
I suggested that maybe Sandals would be something he should look into. 

I kill myself with this gift I have! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, DWB said:

Nice job for all you guys that posted pics !

For the rest of us that complain about multiple trips to stores for same job, just bear in mind that in our family, we have a genetic trait that dictates that we turn a 10 minute job, into 4 Days !! Usually includes having to redo/take apart work already "completed" to finish the last 2% (and of course the multiple trips to the store)

Had a contractor install "California" style closet system in the master WIC. Looked good, but when you hung a T-shirt on the rod, the back of the hanger/shirt would rub the wall, big time. Not good. Called the contractor to fix it, and got a bunch of push back that their way (10" clearance from center of rod) was right, versus the standard 12" that everybody else has.

Long story short...I told the contractor to come out and fix it, or rip it off the wall. They came out and ripped it out. I went online to a closet company we had used before in other houses, ordered a new system, had it in 7 days, installed it in one day (over 30 linear feet) and the quality of the material was much better than the contractor, and the installation was structurally more stable. (and it was a LOT less expensive)

Closet is on my list. What system did you use? What closet system do I want to avoid?

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not making the progress I had hoped but not disappointed. Had some plumbing issues to correct and took today off just for some good family time. Here is progress to date. 

20200425_092811.jpg

20200425_092744.jpg

20200425_092756.jpg

20200425_092726.jpg

I think you have done a great job and have gotten much farther than I thought you would. Sometimes it is best to walk away and refresh yourself. Doing this kind of stuff wears on you mentally and physically. 

Keep up the great work my friend. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not making the progress I had hoped but not disappointed. Had some plumbing issues to correct and took today off just for some good family time. Here is progress to date. 

20200425_092811.jpg

20200425_092744.jpg

20200425_092756.jpg

20200425_092726.jpg

You've been busy!! Like the solid surface surround on the tub. Never saw "barn door" hardware on a vanity before. That's neat! (except you mounted the sliding door upside down....) 🤭

Nice job...really!

And just for future reference....don't EVER include a roll of duct tape in any pictures you publish.

:rollinglaugh:

Edited by DWB

8 hours ago, DWB said:

You've been busy!! Like the solid surface surround on the tub. Never saw "barn door" hardware on a vanity before. That's neat! (except you mounted the sliding door upside down....) 🤭

Nice job...really!

And just for future reference....don't EVER include a roll of duct tape in any pictures you publish.

:rollinglaugh:

Glad you caught that. I did not notice that. No duct tape next time. My wife wants me to make the door into the bathroom a barn but not on a track. 

Thanks. This is by far biggest undertaking I have done. I am in process of making all the shelves and towel racks. Here is what the wife has me working on

imagepng_0.png

IMG_3515.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Glad you caught that. I did not notice that. No duct tape next time. My wife wants me to make the door into the bathroom a barn but not on a track. 

Thanks. This is by far biggest undertaking I have done. I am in process of making all the shelves and towel racks. Here is what the wife has me working on

imagepng_0.png

IMG_3515.png

Hope your wife doesn't share that with idea with mine!  

Edited by Reacher

The bathroom is basically been finished for a while but wife hated the trim so I am redoing it later this week. She wants to do all the decor homemade ideas from pinterest,  once we are done with those and get them up I will post some completion photos.

Now today I am laying vinyl plank flooring in 3 rooms. Cant wait to get back to work so I can take it a little easier.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I fixed if for you mate! lol

Men across the country should push to eliminate Pinterest. My wife has ideas of a she shed- part shed, part greenhouse- that she want me to build her. Might be my project for next year. They have kits but I may be building from scratch so as to customize it. That will be a big test of my DIY skills.

25 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Men across the country should push to eliminate Pinterest. My wife has ideas of a she shed- part shed, part greenhouse- that she want me to build her. Might be my project for next year. They have kits but I may be building from scratch so as to customize it. That will be a big test of my DIY skills.

Amen. Just wait until you see what she wants next. Not looking forward to that project 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

You got this man! It will help make your marriage even stronger!..........    hahahahahaha     even I have to laugh at that one. 

• Like 1

Got the laminate flooring down in 3 rooms and have half of the accent wall in living room done. Galvanized tin with an antique barn wood border and will finish top half with white shiplap.  While I was working on those projects my wonderfully amazing wife took our old dark finish kitchen cabinets and distressed them.  They look awesome. Pics below to share.

20200507_092700.jpg

20200507_091928.jpg

20200507_092648.jpg

20200507_092657.jpg

• Like 5