DIY projects

54 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Going to start doing DIY wood projects. Wifey has a couple things she wants created. She wants a foyer table, but the bottom section as a closed off litter box with a good cut in the side. 

Also going to do some wood furniture. Something I’ve always wanted to do, just never had much time. 

Good luck. Haven't done furniture. IMO, it's all about having the right tools (that's my excuse why I can't do certain things- have to have the right tools!)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Good luck. Haven't done furniture. IMO, it's all about having the right tools (that's my excuse why I can't do certain things- have to have the right tools!)

Yeah I’m excited, I asked for some tools for Father’s Day so I can start. Plus, I used the excuse she’s wanting a few things so I have to have these tools. :) Being married ha taught me to be a master negotiator lol. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I've learned the hard way to always have the right tools. I finally made the decision if I need a tool just go by it when replacing heating elements on my water heater. The cheapo element wrench wouldn't get the bottom element out. Worked on it for 2 nights after work.  Bought an impact gun and 1 1/2 in socket. Took 5 minutes. 

Cold showers is quite a motivator. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've learned the hard way to always have the right tools. I finally made the decision if I need a tool just go by it when replacing heating elements on my water heater. The cheapo element wrench wouldn't get the bottom element out. Worked on it for 2 nights after work.  Bought an impact gun and 1 1/2 in socket. Took 5 minutes. 

Lol...I did the same thing about a year ago but went with a breaker bar and the 1 1/2 inch socket...

Beyond cold showers, a couple of busted knuckles using that useless cheapo element wrench can be a motivator too...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Going to start doing DIY wood projects. Wifey has a couple things she wants created. She wants a foyer table, but the bottom section as a closed off litter box with a good cut in the side. 

Also going to do some wood furniture. Something I’ve always wanted to do, just never had much time. 

I did something similar with an old dresser. It was much cheaper to buy one at a yard sale and modify as needed. 
I just pulled the bottom few drawers out and added a plywood floor. 

18 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

The timing on this is hilarious. My SIL just went through this last week. He called, having trouble getting  the bottom element out and he had bought the cheapo socket like you say. I told him to throw that in the trash and I’d be right over with the proper tools. 
He wanted to know how I knew this so quickly, so I showed him my scars! Lol

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

The timing on this is hilarious. My SIL just went through this last week. He called, having trouble getting  the bottom element out and he had bought the cheapo socket like you say. I told him to throw that in the trash and I’d be right over with the proper tools. 
He wanted to know how I knew this so quickly, so I showed him my scars! Lol

I'm convinced people who develop products, sit at work thinking of ways to piss people off or make them look ridiculous. 

The shake weight comes to mind. That guy was a practical joker. 

All of my quarantine DIY projects are completed or as close as can be. I really came out of my comfort zone.  I was able to remodel the bathroom,  did 3 rooms of laminate flooring,  did our living room wall with shiplap galvanized tin and antique barnwood,  an arbor swing from old doors and changed the pool liner.  Picked up some better and much need tools. I wont go as far as saying it was fun but I do feel somewhat accomplished in an area of weakness. 

Our bathroom mirror my wife ordered finally came in so I installed it and the shelves I made. A couple pics. 

20200520_081530.jpg

20200520_080615.jpg

20200520_080548.jpg

20200520_080623.jpg

20200520_081524.jpg

• Like 8

On 5/20/2020 at 8:09 AM, Billingsley99 said:

All of my quarantine DIY projects are completed or as close as can be. I really came out of my comfort zone.  I was able to remodel the bathroom,  did 3 rooms of laminate flooring,  did our living room wall with shiplap galvanized tin and antique barnwood,  an arbor swing from old doors and changed the pool liner.  Picked up some better and much need tools. I wont go as far as saying it was fun but I do feel somewhat accomplished in an area of weakness. 

Our bathroom mirror my wife ordered finally came in so I installed it and the shelves I made. A couple pics. 

20200520_081530.jpg

20200520_080615.jpg

20200520_080548.jpg

20200520_080623.jpg

20200520_081524.jpg

I think you did a phenomenal job. You should be really proud of your accomplishments. 

Are you for hire? Lol

28 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I think you did a phenomenal job. You should be really proud of your accomplishments. 

Are you for hire? Lol

My work is better admired from a far.  Thanks for the kind words. I thought and hoped that once I got back to work the honey get your a$$ in there and do it list would be done. No such luck 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just when the projects were about to come to an end Mother Nature says, "not so fast my friend "

Storm damage from Saturday 

20200523_190724.jpg

20200523_191915.jpg

Wow...wind did that to that tree? 

That sucks...sorry you had to go through that...

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wow...wind did that to that tree? 

That sucks...sorry you had to go through that...

Yes Saturday wind popped.up for less than 5 minutes.  3.houses away nothing a path 1/4 mile wide lots of downed trees.  No real serious damage and no injuries praise God

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just when the projects were about to come to an end Mother Nature says, "not so fast my friend "

20200523_190724.jpg

20200523_191915.jpg

Darn, darn, darn man. Been there before last May when storms came in. My aunt lives in an old neighborhood in Carmel and she lost 4 trees that look to be size of this one.....as well as 2 small barns with a lifetime of crap in them. Took us all summer last year to get her yard back in shape. Nickel's worth of free advice. Don't rush back into getting it back to normal. My aunt wanted her yard back quickly and besides the normal tree and debris removal....we planted grass seed over a good chunk of the damaged areas. Didn't rake up well enough and this spring half the area is great and the other half still looks like crap. 

Be careful with insurance as well.....some tricky language in there on what's covered and not. Roof damage. Photos of everything included damaged parts but take your time. Glad no one was hurt!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Be careful with insurance as well.....some tricky language in there on what's covered and not. Roof damage. Photos of everything included damaged parts but take your time. Glad no one was hurt!

Agree on the insurance part. I had a large tree fall on my Sugar Grove house. It poked a hole through the roof and rained debris on my bed. State farm offered like $5000 to  patch the roof and replace bedding, carpeting, etc. Luckily, I had had a roofer out who said patching wouldn't be effective. I had to hire a public adjuster. Claim ended up being near $100k including a new roof and bringing the house up to current code standards.  Next house was covered by Allstate and when everyone in the neighborhood got a new roof from hail damage, I didn't. Switched to Country Companies and can happily report I was just approved for a new roof from hail damage to the house I moved into last year. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes Saturday wind popped.up for less than 5 minutes.  3.houses away nothing a path 1/4 mile wide lots of downed trees.  No real serious damage and no injuries praise God

Glad nobody was hurt...that sucks about your tree/property, especially after all the work you put in the past couple months. Like others have mentioned hopefully insurance comes though for you.

52 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Agree on the insurance part. I had a large tree fall on my Sugar Grove house. It poked a hole through the roof and rained debris on my bed. State farm offered like $5000 to  patch the roof and replace bedding, carpeting, etc. Luckily, I had had a roofer out who said patching wouldn't be effective. I had to hire a public adjuster. Claim ended up being near $100k including a new roof and bringing the house up to current code standards.  Next house was covered by Allstate and when everyone in the neighborhood got a new roof from hail damage, I didn't. Switched to Country Companies and can happily report I was just approved for a new roof from hail damage to the house I moved into last year. 

I can definitely attest that State Farm has went downhill...

Had them in Florida for 2 hurricanes and they were great...when we moved to Chicagoland, they seemed to change and try to go on the cheap...my middle daughter had a car hit while it was parked and then got hit when the other driver was clearly at fault (and he had admitted it, and the police report said so) but they assessed her at 20% of the blame. They never pursued the first lady who hit her when her car (totaled) was parked outside her apartment...just made her pay the deductible and had it fixed.

I got fed up and went to USAA in 2013. They've been great...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

20200523_191915.jpg

That really sucks 99...

Almost looks like the tree was rotted from the inside out.

Good luck with the insurance. Keep sayin "No deal" until you get a fair settlement. Threaten them with an attorney if needed.

I'm glad no one was hurt. Just make sure you keep it that way when you start doing the clean up. Better yet, have insurance company pay for a company to come in and clean it up!

Just now, DWB said:

That really sucks 99...

Almost looks like the tree was rotted from the inside out.

Good luck with the insurance. Keep sayin "No deal" until you get a fair settlement. Threaten them with an attorney if needed.

I'm glad no one was hurt. Just make sure you keep it that way when you start doing the clean up. Better yet, have insurance company pay for a company to come in and clean it up!

Thanks.  Thats exactly what we are going to do. Yes looks like the inside had a big hollow spot. 

On 5/26/2020 at 8:21 AM, Billingsley99 said:

Sorry to hear about your damage my friend. Thank goodness everyone is fine.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 8:33 AM, IUFLA said:

I can definitely attest that State Farm has went downhill...

Had them in Florida for 2 hurricanes and they were great...when we moved to Chicagoland, they seemed to change and try to go on the cheap...my middle daughter had a car hit while it was parked and then got hit when the other driver was clearly at fault (and he had admitted it, and the police report said so) but they assessed her at 20% of the blame. They never pursued the first lady who hit her when her car (totaled) was parked outside her apartment...just made her pay the deductible and had it fixed.

I got fed up and went to USAA in 2013. They've been great...

Progressive has been really good to me, after GEICO doubled my insurance rate after one of my kids had an accident - no ticket involved. Jackamoles. I now can't stand the Geico commercials, and have resigned myself to appreciating "Flo" in the Progressive commercials. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1