DIY projects

1 hour ago, rico said:

Usually tearing apart is easy...but not today.  Rusted bolts led to me breaking out the sawzall.  Took 4 hours total to put the new seats in.  The new seats took only 1 hour themselves.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

Rusty nuts and bolts are my kryptonite.  Slows me down so much.  Cutting torch  and seawall is my friend too.  

11 hours ago, rico said:

Usually tearing apart is easy...but not today.  Rusted bolts led to me breaking out the sawzall.  Took 4 hours total to put the new seats in.  The new seats took only 1 hour themselves.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

For some reason I can never see your attachments...on my phone or my laptop...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yep...looks good!

Well, it appears that you cannot see what I copy and paste.  The last photo that I just sent came from my picture files.  The one you couldn't see was copy and pasted from my e-mail account.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rico said:

IMG_0851.JPG

Holy crap Rico !! Did you laminate two 2x10's (or 12's) together for those seats? You could put a blue whale on top of those and they wouldn't break ! (Exactly, how much do you weigh?)

Nice job though!

Edited by DWB

4 minutes ago, DWB said:

Holy crap Rico !! Did you laminate two 2x10's (or 12's) together for those seats? You could put a blue whale on top of those and they wouldn't break ! (Exactly, how much do you weigh?)

Nice job though!

LOL, those are 1x12's with 1x3's on each side.  195 lbs.

Thank you...I still got to paint the inside of the hull.

BTW, it was my Grandpa's boat.  I inherited it upon his death in 1983.  It is one of my most prized possessions.  

• Like 2

I’m secretly converting the unfinished side of our basement into a finished side. My wife was stressed about the project as a whole. 

Converting part of it at least it’s 18 x 25  going to leave 18 x 8 as a storage room  

Got the wife to let me build the shelves for the storage room.  She’s agreed to new lighting and leveling the floor.  

Next going to convince her to let me put in some floor panels that my neighbor can get me cheap.  And probably just tack some white cloth to hide the pipes  

Once all that’s done I think I can convince her to let me frame it out and put up drywall.  

• Like 2

Bought myself a miter saw so it’s time to get to work :) 

I am designing mud room storage (all wood) with a liter box in it. Wife’s request lol. My wife is heading out of town later this month with the kiddos so I’m hoping to have it done when she comes back to surprise her. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m secretly converting the unfinished side of our basement into a finished side. My wife was stressed about the project as a whole. 

Converting part of it at least it’s 18 x 25  going to leave 18 x 8 as a storage room  

Got the wife to let me build the shelves for the storage room.  She’s agreed to new lighting and leveling the floor.  

Next going to convince her to let me put in some floor panels that my neighbor can get me cheap.  And probably just tack some white cloth to hide the pipes  

Once all that’s done I think I can convince her to let me frame it out and put up drywall.  

Haha, love it Brass! It’s amazing what you can get accomplished by getting the wife to agree. She was wanting some wood projects done around the house, so I told her I needed such and such tools to complete it. Even though I wasn’t lying, I just may have been able to get more tools out of it :)

17 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

And probably just tack some white cloth to hide the pipes  

May I suggest just painting the ceiling flat black.  Everything.  Joists, underside of sheathing, pipes, duct work, etc.  

I finished the car wash project last Friday and decided to come to Indy to see my parents for a week before starting a new job. The day before I came out here a got this picture from my brother (who lives in Indy as well).

The south end of the house had significant termite damage. It looks like the previous owner noticed a problem and put traps/poison to kill the termites, but didn’t fix the damage. We had to jack up the end of the house to replace the footer boards. It turns out that back in the 40’s when this house was built they didn’t have regulations requiring insulation. There is no insulation on the outside of the house at all. We got the footers replaced, insulation put in and backer board with sealing tape done by the end of the day yesterday. Today we start putting siding on ... and it’s raining. I hope we can get this done before I need to leave for Denver on Saturday.

So, what was supposed to be a nice relaxing visit with family has turned into a weeklong project fixing my parents house. The issue now is that all the siding will need to be replaced and insulation put in before the winter comes, I just can’t believe they didn’t insulate the house at all. I may hire someone to do the rest of the house. 

southWall.jpg

• Like 1

I had a 50s ranch that I remodeled. There was no vapor barrier and the insulation had pretty much disintegrated. For part of the house I had access to the interior and was able to put in new wall insulation. For the rest, the best I could do was siding with an insulation underlayment over the housewrap. If you could find something like this with an insulation backing, You could keep the same look and be maintenance free-

See the source image

32 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I had a 50s ranch that I remodeled. There was no vapor barrier and the insulation had pretty much disintegrated. For part of the house I had access to the interior and was able to put in new wall insulation. For the rest, the best I could do was siding with an insulation underlayment over the housewrap. If you could find something like this with an insulation backing, You could keep the same look and be maintenance free-

See the source image

We are replicating part of what exists.  Not putting shake back on, I kinda hate shake shingles. We are putting Hardie board on, easier to install, looks nice and lasts longer. 

15912763192914534793663021306527.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SteveS said:

We are replicating part of what exists.  Not putting shake back on, I kinda hate shake shingles. We are putting Hardie board on, easier to install, looks nice and lasts longer. 

15912763192914534793663021306527.jpg

Going to be a massive improvement, big boost to their curb appeal. Shake shingle siding is much more difficult to cut, install. Looks like you got your Fathers Day present taken care of early!