DIY projects

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Good call. Probably go white instead. So it matches rest of the basement that’s already finished.  

That will work as well although flat black will hide the "eye sores" a tad better with drop lighting.

• 2 weeks later...

So decided to remodel the house starting with the living room floor. Tore out the carpet, and installing laminate flooring.

Progress pic, really thought I'd get more done today but didnt anticipate subfloor prep.

20200613_183441.jpg

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

So decided to remodel the house starting with the living room floor. Tore out the carpet, and installing laminate flooring.

Progress pic, really thought I'd get more done today but didnt anticipate subfloor prep.

20200613_183441.jpg

Looks great. Love the color choice.

When doing home fixups, nothing surprises me. When I removed the one piece tub shower unit earlier this year the wall behind the shower only had insulation in one cavity and it was installed incorrectly.

I use the Boy Scout Motto, "Be Prepared" for anything. 

Looking forward to more updates.

Edited by jefftheref
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jefftheref said:

When doing home fix ups, nothing surprises me. When I removed the one piece tub shower unit earlier this year the wall behind the shower only had insulation in one cavity and it was installed incorrectly.

I use the Boy Scout Motto, "Be Prepared" for anything.

Unfortunately, there aren't very many "quality" sub-contractors out there anymore. 45 years ago when I built our first house, the quality control on a $40,000 house was outstanding. Things were "done right"

Now days, the motto among the workers (usually) is "Hell, it's better than my house, so it's good enough", or my all time favorite..."just caulk it". Sad.

That's why I was on site every day, every hour that I had subs working on any of our houses we built. Didn't yell, or scream, just being there let them know I was watching. Very few problems.

And once you find a good contractor (I know a lot of you guys are doing your own work which is great, but for future reference) ask him for references of other contractors you might need. Most of the good ones, tend to work together on larger projects.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DWB said:

And once you find a good contractor (I know a lot of you guys are doing your own work which is great, but for future reference) ask him for references of other contractors you might need. Most of the good ones, tend to work together on larger projects.

I have found this to be true. 

39 minutes ago, DWB said:

Unfortunately, there aren't very many "quality" sub-contractors out there anymore. 45 years ago when I built our first house, the quality control on a $40,000 house was outstanding. Things were "done right"

Now days, the motto among the workers (usually) is "Hell, it's better than my house, so it's good enough", or my all time favorite..."just caulk it". Sad.

That's why I was on site every day, every hour that I had subs working on any of our houses we built. Didn't yell, or scream, just being there let them know I was watching. Very few problems.

Some great tips and you are so right in this.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

20200613_183441.jpg

Is your cat helping or over seeing the project,? Lol

• Haha 2

SteveS. Looks like you did all the right things for the fix. Turned out looking really good!

Can't tell from the pics, not sure how much slope you have between the house and drive. You might want to get a couple of the flexible downspout extensions to make sure the roof water gets all the way to the driveway. Last thing you need is to get any back wash up against the house in a heavy rain.

53 minutes ago, DWB said:

SteveS. Looks like you did all the right things for the fix. Turned out looking really good!

Can't tell from the pics, not sure how much slope you have between the house and drive. You might want to get a couple of the flexible downspout extensions to make sure the roof water gets all the way to the driveway. Last thing you need is to get any back wash up against the house in a heavy rain.

Yeah, my brother is finishing all that up.  I only had 1 week there for us to get all the major work done. None of the downspouts were reattached when I had to leave Sunday morning. 

• Like 1

As an avid fisherman I am always concerned about the weather.  So I made this simple "weather station" a few weeks back.  It is made from an old canoe paddle I had and some hardware that consisted of a thermometer, hygrometer(humidity), and barometer that I had to purchase.

IMG_0885.JPG

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, rico said:

As an avid fisherman I am always concerned about the weather.  So I made this simple "weather station" a few weeks back.  It is made from an old canoe paddle I had and some hardware that consisted of a thermometer, hygrometer(humidity), and barometer that I had to purchase.

IMG_0885.JPG

That's very cool...

• Thanks 1

I wasn't planning on this project. My mother-in-law lives with us and her Mobility has been declining. Made the decision to rip out the tub and replace with a shower. Over the last two weeks I have been spending a few hours in the evenings and have the shower done. Not quite as fast as @Billingsley99. Vanity and paint yet to come. You can't have a new shower with an old vanity for some reason. 

20200625_175442.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I wasn't planning on this project. My mother-in-law lives with us and her Mobility has been declining. Made the decision to rip out the tub and replace with a shower. Over the last two weeks I have been spending a few hours in the evenings and have the shower done. Not quite as fast as @Billingsley99. Vanity and paint yet to come. You can't have a new shower with an old vanity for some reason. 

20200625_175442.jpg

Looks fantastic. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Reacher said:

20200625_175442.jpg

Looks great. I had no choice to be fast the boss was right there but your work looks much nicer for sure 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Looks great. I had no choice to be fast the boss was right there but your work looks much nicer for sure 

My boss wasn't too thrilled. There was supposed to grey grout between the accent tiles and white grout for the white tiles. Somehow I ended up with all grey grout. My first tiling project. I did have the help of my brother in law. I'm not sure if I would have tackled solo. All materials from Menards. Didn't see @Joe_Hoopsier there.

20200623_215056.jpg

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

My boss wasn't too thrilled. There was supposed to grey grout between the accent tiles and white grout for the white tiles. Somehow I ended up with all grey grout. My first tiling project. I did have the help of my brother in law. I'm not sure if I would have tackled solo. All materials from Menards. Didn't see @Joe_Hoopsier there.

20200623_215056.jpg

You must have JUST missed me. Does anyone know how many treated 4”x4” there are in the south half of Indiana? 

ZERO! Arggh

• Haha 1