DIY projects

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

C053D9C1-0D60-4F16-B385-FD3524C3BFE1.thumb.jpeg.a1be5768e937210e93f7901c8142e377.jpegFinished project. Pergola. Fire pit . Happy wife. Happy dog 

Looking good! Was the pergola a kit? Did you build yourself? Are the lights solar or plug in? I have some solar powered lights in my Amazon cart for my arbor/swing as it's located away from the house. 

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Looking good! Was the pergola a kit? Did you build yourself? Are the lights solar or plug in? I have some solar powered lights in my Amazon cart for my arbor/swing as it's located away from the house. 

Don’t have the time, ability or help to do this myself 😂

We looked at solar but ended up getting plug ins. Easy to hang and cords were easy to hide 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Want to build a pergola but might be better to just buy the kit. Any suggestions?

It is not hard to build your own. Find one you like and take some pics and measurements to copy. Kits bring convenience. Do you have a big local lumberyard that can outfit you with the wood and hardware? Big box stores didn't have the sizes of bolts I needed. I went with cedar and stainless hardware for my arbor swing project. 

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

It is not hard to build your own. Find one you like and take some pics and measurements to copy. Kits bring convenience. Do you have a big local lumberyard that can outfit you with the wood and hardware? Big box stores didn't have the sizes of bolts I needed. 

Ditto that  ▲

And...lumber yards usually carry a bunch better grade of lumber than the big box stores as well, and at the same price or very, very close.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DWB said:

Ditto that  ▲

And...lumber yards usually carry a bunch better grade of lumber than the big box stores as well, and at the same price or very, very close.

that stresses me. My boss (wife) wants perfection and if I get a kit its easier for me to convince her its someone else's fault.  Pressure gentleman.  Might put this off until spring . Thank you for the recommendations

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

that stresses me. My boss (wife) wants perfection and if I get a kit its easier for me to convince her its someone else's fault.  Pressure gentleman.  Might put this off until spring . Thank you for the recommendations

I tell my wife imperfection is what gives a project its character.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I tell my wife imperfection is what gives a project its character.  

Me too or something very similar.  She doesn't buy it thought.  Even though everyone seems to love the stuff we have done she she's the flaws and her OCD does not allow her to get past it. She was going to open up her own online craft business but wanted everything to be so perfect she was losing money

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I guess that answers your question. There are some great kits out there (damn pinterest) but many are made with smaller / cheaper size lumber and cheap fasteners.  If you go that route, make sure you understand the quality you are paying for.

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

I guess that answers your question. There are some great kits out there (damn pinterest) but many are made with smaller / cheaper size lumber and cheap fasteners.  If you go that route, make sure you understand the quality you are paying for.

Thanks.  This is one that does not look overly difficult but I am afraid I don't have the right tools and it will not come out the way I have it intended. Also worried its above my skill level