DIY projects

2 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I think you are right! I've been looking at a lot of those epoxy project and people are doing some awesome stuff!

That they have. There's at least 2-3 very impressive examples a week on Reddit's /r/woodworking sub. 

I don't have a planer or a jointer so taking on something from slab level isn't really possible, but I love the whole resin filling idea. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Started a new project on Saturday. Decided to put a lean-to on the back side of my 2nd garage to store some implements and an utility trailer. 24' x 16' with 11' high roof.

Here's what I've got done since Saturday (I know....I'm slow...and old !)

Cut posts to height & notch.JPG

Set ½ of beam, secure ledger.JPG

• Like 8

On 3/18/2019 at 8:35 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I don't like to pay people to fix things I can do myself.  Alot of projects are first time experiences.  Have a front load washing machine with worn out bearings.  Decided to replace them because parts cost $100 versus a new machine. 

Holy crap was it a job and a half. Took me 6 hours. Basically had to disassemble and reassemble the whole machine. But was ultimately successful.

Because it is who I am I will probably do it again. Just needed to vent. 

PS. Had some leftover screws. But that always happens. 

So, I'm really pissed off right now. 

Not in the habit of quoting myself but want to say, my Chinese bearings wore out and no, I wont do it again.  

Just going to buy a new one.  

BTW, F China. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, DWB said:

Started a new project on Saturday. Decided to put a lean-to on the back side of my 2nd garage to store some implements and an utility trailer. 24' x 16' with 11' high roof.

Here's what I've got done since Saturday (I know....I'm slow...and old !)

Cut posts to height & notch.JPG

Set ½ of beam, secure ledger.JPG

I hope @rico wasn't your inspiration. Maybe we should start a lean to addition thread. 

• Haha 3

No...I had already thought about doing a lean-to a year or so ago. Just never got around to it. Had a hip replacement a couple of months ago, so I'm now getting back into the swing of things on a normal basis. Plus, I'm older than dirt, so it takes me a while to do most anything you young pups can do. And I don't have any helpers at all.

And then you have our family heritage...We take a 10 minute job and turn it into 4 days!

Finished up the beam today between the posts (it was only ½ assembled), caulked the ledger board, laid out the rafter placement and then started to figure roof pitch and cut outs for the rafters. Never did rafters before.  Kind of a neat process once you get the hang of it.

The tough part comes next. Cutting all the rafters, and then getting the rafters up to the beam at 9'-6" on one side, and 11'-5" on the ledger board on the other side without killing myself !!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DWB said:

No...I had already thought about doing a lean-to a year or so ago. Just never got around to it. Had a hip replacement a couple of months ago, so I'm now getting back into the swing of things on a normal basis. Plus, I'm older than dirt, so it takes me a while to do most anything you young pups can do. And I don't have any helpers at all.

And then you have our family heritage...We take a 10 minute job and turn it into 4 days!

Finished up the beam today between the posts (it was only ½ assembled), caulked the ledger board, laid out the rafter placement and then started to figure roof pitch and cut outs for the rafters. Never did rafters before.  Kind of a neat process once you get the hang of it.

The tough part comes next. Cutting all the rafters, and then getting the rafters up to the beam at 9'-6" on one side, and 11'-5" on the ledger board on the other side without killing myself !!

That a boy!  LOL  Sounds like it is going well.  Look forward to seeing your progress.

I recently just finished the back wall of my basement and the closed in the top areas above. Basement was completely unfinished and house was built new in 2018 and this was the last thing I did in there after the playroom and 1/2 bath. Still have some trim and baseboard to lay but making a lot of progress from a cement wall. Did all walls and pretty much everything but running electrical myself. And floors too. C457D048-C089-404D-B3E4-D0016DB2BAEC.thumb.jpeg.20010ed72bcb5ed76119391bf37b2502.jpegFeeling very accomplished lol. Had to get the deer hung up too. Was making me sad seeing them covered in plastic. 9FBE1D91-CA09-42C5-8057-F1EB6E1B65C8.thumb.jpeg.e4184528685e15282cce5e606e9e58e8.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I recently just finished the back wall of my basement and the closed in the top areas above. Basement was completely unfinished and house was built new in 2018 and this was the last thing I did in there after the playroom and 1/2 bath. Still have some trim and baseboard to lay but making a lot of progress from a cement wall. Did all walls and pretty much everything but running electrical myself. And floors too. C457D048-C089-404D-B3E4-D0016DB2BAEC.thumb.jpeg.20010ed72bcb5ed76119391bf37b2502.jpegFeeling very accomplished lol. Had to get the deer hung up too. Was making me sad seeing them covered in plastic. 9FBE1D91-CA09-42C5-8057-F1EB6E1B65C8.thumb.jpeg.e4184528685e15282cce5e606e9e58e8.jpeg

th?id=OIP.7RWk2dnFc27it8Jw56ztcQHaHx&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

27 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My outside stuff just not a match for what she does inside.

20201129_181502.jpg

Makes me glad I'm a Bah-humbug kind of guy.

Actually, we dog sit/house sit friends pets during the Holidays. Don't have kids of our own, so we try to free up others to enjoy their families.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DWB said:

Makes me glad I'm a Bah-humbug kind of guy.

Actually, we dog sit/house sit friends pets during the Holidays. Don't have kids of our own, so we try to free up others to enjoy their families.

Thats awesome. The worse part is my wife goes all out on holidays with decorations.  Everything comes down the day after. Oct 31 we have tons of scary stuff in yard Nov 1 not a trace. My butt on Dec 26th will be freezing taking it all down. 

She works in the elementary cafeteria and dresses up for all holidays. The kids love it and she brings them joy so who I am to say anything other than yes dear.

• Like 2

Finally got it done. Had two full days of 30-40 mph winds, so I didn't want to sail away putting up 16' long metal sheets. Had a nasty storm last night. Rain and 40+mph winds, and low and behold the thing is still standing this morning !

While it's not a "garage-mahal" like Rico's, and all enclosed, it does what I want it to. 24' wide, 16' deep, 11'6" tall. Boy that metal roof takes a LOT of screws!

Lean-to.JPG

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

Finally got it done. Had two full days of 30-40 mph winds, so I didn't want to sail away putting up 16' long metal sheets. Had a nasty storm last night. Rain and 40+mph winds, and low and behold the thing is still standing this morning !

While it's not a "garage-mahal" like Rico's, and all enclosed, it does what I want it to. 24' wide, 16' deep, 11'6" tall. Boy that metal roof takes a LOT of screws!

Lean-to.JPG

Looks great!

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2020 at 8:29 AM, Billingsley99 said:

Since the Colts looked so bad i was able to finish the outdoor decorations.  The wife goes all out inside you would think you were at the North Pole. My outside stuff just not a match for what she does inside.

How many trees do you own for the inside?

On 12/5/2020 at 6:12 PM, Zlinedavid said:

How many trees do you own for the inside?

We have a small house the 1 in living room takes up half of the room

We have 3 little ones like that are 2 or 3 ft tall in various places. I can tell you if we had a 20 room house we.might have 20 plus trees.

Big tree small house

20201207_074356.thumb.jpg.506eb1adf07fa8f7b350c70367c90e23.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/5/2020 at 10:12 AM, DWB said:

Lean-to.JPG

Looks fabulous.  And those screws aren't cheap are they?  

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2020 at 10:12 AM, DWB said:

Lean-to.JPG

Looks great. Thinking about doing something similar this spring.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

We have a small house the 1 in living room takes up half of the room

We have 3 little ones like that are 2 or 3 ft tall in various places. I can tell you if we had a 20 room house we.might have 20 plus trees.

Big tree small house

20201207_074356.thumb.jpg.506eb1adf07fa8f7b350c70367c90e23.jpg

This isn't a joke. We own two 10 footers, at least 6 different 6 foot trees and a handful of minis. Not every one of them gets put up each year (obviously).

And yes, my wife has been to tree-hab for this addiction. Didn't help. 

And don't start on ornaments.....

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

This isn't a joke. We own two 10 footers, at least 6 different 6 foot trees and a handful of minis. Not every one of them gets put up each year (obviously).

And yes, my wife has been to tree-hab for this addiction. Didn't help. 

And don't start on ornaments.....

We have several in the garage but 5 or 6 years ago I talked my wife into a real tree. That has become a great family tradition.  Friday after Thanksgiving as a family we go to Bohmans Tree farm and wife becomes the tree whisperer.  Great time. After we get it loaded we go have some great fried chicken. 

• Like 2

My living room is about 90% complete.  Had some things get in the way and stretched out the project. Going farmhouse rustic style. 

Here is our tree, cut it down myself from a tree farm.  Notice no tree topper. Rounded the top off and stuffed a bunch or fragrant pinecones in the branches. House is smelling really good right now. 

All the stockings are for the pets. The ones we have and the ones we lost. 

Resized952020120995204740.jpg

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 4