DIY projects

6 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

My grandpa on my mom's side built his own house and owned a body shop car repair business, and was into woodworking and playing guitar.  

I work on my own cars and trucks, do all the work on my house, my own plumbing and electrical.  And taught myself to play guitar decently.  I think it may be genetic 

I'm pretty crafty too. Built a three tier cupcake stand for our wedding with a cordless drill and hacksaw and my mechanics socket set in my college dorm room. Still have it. Makes a nice corner peice.  

Pretty cool.  Keep on keeping on!

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 2:03 PM, rico said:

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Also, nothing wrong with doing both. My day job is sitting behind a computer. That said, I'm also not a half bad trim carpenter/cabinet maker, can do anything non-electronic on a car that doesn't require an engine hoist and can do basic electrical and plumbing. 

• Like 3

On 12/17/2020 at 1:25 AM, mrflynn03 said:

My grandpa on my mom's side built his own house and owned a body shop car repair business, and was into woodworking and playing guitar. 

Similar here. Dad was a USAF hydraulic tech and owned his own auto repair shop for 30+ years. I went a different way career wise, but I still do most of my own vehicle and home repairs. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

It can get a little pricey.  We did some bathroom shelves and towel rack using it.

in keeping with the stairway with the horse, use black or plastic pipe, for the stove topper, and then just wrap it in the dull side of aluminum foil. Voila !! Stainless steel look !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, DWB said:

in keeping with the stairway with the horse, use black or plastic pipe, for the stove topper, and then just wrap it in the dull side of aluminum foil. Voila !! Stainless steel look !

Instead of pipe for the handles I used some antique handles from an old cabinet i picked up for little of nothing. I do like the reccommendations

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 10:54 AM, rico said:

The GF has shut me down from all projects until spring.  She says I am spending too much money.

But....but....think of all the money saved!

(Just ignore that stack of new tools in the garage that cost twice as much as the original item)

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Anybody have any insight on gutter guards?

I've been procrastinating on this project because it's expensive and a pain in the ass. Half of my house gets leafs in the gutters. I can cleans out the gutters on the first level, but the second level is too high for my liking. And I have a walk out basement so the there's a 30-40 foot drop off the rear of my house. 

I called to get a quote on gutter protectors and I'm looking at $4-$5k! I thought, screw that, I'll just get somebody to clean out my gutters for the next 15 years and I'll still come out ahead. WRONG. Quote to clean out my gutters is $750 because they need to bring in special ladders.  

So, now I'm back looking at gutter guards. Does anybody have these and can tell me how well they work and how've they've held up? There are so many on the market and there are pros and cons to each one.  

I moved into my current house two years ago. There's a large maple tree overhanging one side of the house. I tried some cheap gutter guards and they just got clogged up and didn't work. Then I moved on to another style only to find out those didn't work any better. This year I put on micro screen mesh ones that I got at Costco. Should have spent the $ and got those the first time. They seem very similar to what some gutter guard companies use. So far so good and they look like they will do the job for me.

In your case you will still need somebody to get on your roof and put them on for you (if you don't want to DIY) but maybe a local handyman could put them on for a fraction of the cost of a gutter guard company. 

• Thanks 1

Feeling like “my job is done here” today after rewiring my wife’s VERY old ceramic Christmas tree. I bought it on Ebay from a lady in Minnesota about 12 years ago and it’s worked every year since, despite the frighteningly small plug and ancient wiring. This year, we plugged her in and nothing. 

Upgraded it to wiring that won’t burn our house down now, and we can move forward with the Christmas season as scheduled. 👷‍♂️

• Like 5

On 12/3/2021 at 1:12 PM, Lostin76 said:

Feeling like “my job is done here” today after rewiring my wife’s VERY old ceramic Christmas tree. I bought it on Ebay from a lady in Minnesota about 12 years ago and it’s worked every year since, despite the frighteningly small plug and ancient wiring. This year, we plugged her in and nothing. 

Upgraded it to wiring that won’t burn our house down now, and we can move forward with the Christmas season as scheduled. 👷‍♂️

Did a bunch of that about 3 years ago. We had a number of very nice outdoor decorations that were still running on incandescent bulbs. So before my wife was tempted to just re-buy them, I bought a case of outdoor micro-LED strings and restrung them all. Took a bunch of time and a lot of tiny zip ties, but was worth it. 

• Like 1

Almost wrapped up our little chicken coop. Not to brag, but I have to be one of the best there is as far as far as dragging projects out. 
I bought the materials and built it in about 2 nights after work. Paint and trim took about a day. Another to finish the trim. Now I need to wait to paint the trim white but the plan to paint today was rained out. 

FB285976-D001-4982-AD98-7DA8FA294B06.jpeg

• Like 5

On 12/4/2021 at 2:44 PM, Zlinedavid said:

Did a bunch of that about 3 years ago. We had a number of very nice outdoor decorations that were still running on incandescent bulbs. So before my wife was tempted to just re-buy them, I bought a case of outdoor micro-LED strings and restrung them all. Took a bunch of time and a lot of tiny zip ties, but was worth it. 

Nice! We try not to rebuy too much stuff like Xmas decorations, so modifying what we have is good! 

With my new job I thought I would get so much more done.  But had some back trouble pop up.

My latest DIY project, I finally fixed my deck step handrail after falling off my steps for the 4th time. My 8th grade teacher Mr. Kramer said I would always be a procrastinator. He wasn't wrong. 

• Like 1