DIY projects

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Any of you all ever installed one of these 3D floor Murals? I'm doing one for the wife who loves Dolphins. The material is PVC, but the finish isn't nearly as high gloss as this pic. Anyone know if I can put Poly over PVC or have any other ideas? 74636996_bathfloor1.thumb.jpg.90549cbfcac14e0defb86e10aa96f2f6.jpg

I lost my balance just looking at the picture.

Looks pretty cool though. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Any of you all ever installed one of these 3D floor Murals? I'm doing one for the wife who loves Dolphins. The material is PVC, but the finish isn't nearly as high gloss as this pic. Anyone know if I can put Poly over PVC or have any other ideas? 74636996_bathfloor1.thumb.jpg.90549cbfcac14e0defb86e10aa96f2f6.jpg

I’m going to say you definitely need to find out from the supplier/manufacturer. Obviously there are products that adhere readily to PVC or you wouldn’t get the incredible picture. The question remains what will adhere to the artwork? Did they already laminate a clear layer to protect the artwork? What was that? Questions only the manufacturer can answer? It’s possible the artwork could be second surface or on the backside of clear PVC?

Edited by Drroogh

17 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I’m going to say you definitely need to find out from the supplier/manufacturer. Obviously there are products that adhere readily to PVC or you wouldn’t get the incredible picture. The question remains what will adhere to the artwork? Did they already laminate a clear layer to protect the artwork? What was that? Questions only the manufacturer can answer? It’s possible the artwork could be second surface or on the backside of clear PVC?

All good points, thank you. I've obviously got some research to do. THank you sir.

On 8/16/2020 at 9:18 PM, Leathernecks said:

Blowing my timeline out of the water!

I'm glad I got good siding that should last for decades. I don’t enjoy this!

20200816_181558.jpg

Put up 3 more rows of siding today.  Didn't get a chance to take a picture.  Also got the white trim for the window made.  Going to try to get to the top of the window next weekend.  Then it should really be looking good...I hope!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Good timing.  Have a pesky tub drain that drano wont fix. Nothing like standing in ankle deep dirty bathwater while showering. 

I sincerely hope it works for you. Though it cleared the drain the first time. I went back a second day. Just to make sure. Now.... plan for this week. Clear all the drains in my house... whether running fine or not.  Preventative . 

By the way. Have a master plumber I have used for years.  Has said never to use drano.  That's what I like about these safe and sane uses. 

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I sincerely hope it works for you. Though it cleared the drain the first time. I went back a second day. Just to make sure. Now.... plan for this week. Clear all the drains in my house... whether running fine or not.  Preventative . 

By the way. Have a master plumber I have used for years.  Has said never to use drano.  That's what I like about these safe and sane uses. 

Yeah, I dont like pouring chemicals into our water supply, especially when they dont work. Our household is moving on to more natural solutions.  I'm not some tree hugging hippie type, more of a conservationist like Teddy Roosevelt.  Grew up hunting, fishing, and taking care of the outdoors.

Our world is polluted enough and I will do my part to not add to that. 

IU should consider an HSN 101 class. So much good info shared on this site. 

• Like 2

IMG_0090.JPG

Building inspector here....

Uh-oh...I don't see any anchor bolts coming up from the concrete pad to secure your bottom plate. That will be a $1000 fine. And where is your building permit? It doesn't appear to be posted. That's another $1000 fine. (I take cash only)

:D

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

LOL...I saw those blue barrel-like containers and I immediately thought of Walter "Heisenberg" White!!  😂

I was thinking he's painting them yellow and goin sharkin!

"I'm not talkin' about pleasure boatin' or day sailin.' I'm talkin' about workin' for a livin.' I'm talkin' bout sharkin'!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, DWB said:

IMG_0090.JPG

Building inspector here....

Uh-oh...I don't see any anchor bolts coming up from the concrete pad to secure your bottom plate. That will be a $1000 fine. And where is your building permit? It doesn't appear to be posted. That's another $1000 fine. (I take cash only)

:D

Well they make these blue things called "Tapcons" and the permit is in the window of my house.  Nice try.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rico said:

Well they make these blue things called "Tapcons" and the permit is in the window of my house.  Nice try.

Tapcons are great, but I thought code was the  ½" anchor bolts pertruding thru the concrete. Ramsets work great too. Much easier to install IMO.

Just bustin' your chops Rico on the "building inspector". As much DIY stuff as you do, I had no doubt you had every base covered ! (but I was kind of hoping you'd ask "What's a building permit?") lol

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was thinking he's painting them yellow and goin sharkin!

"I'm not talkin' about pleasure boatin' or day sailin.' I'm talkin' about workin' for a livin.' I'm talkin' bout sharkin'!

" Show me the way to go home.  I'm tired and I wanna go to bed.  Cause I a little drink about an hour ago and it went right to my head. "

On 8/30/2020 at 4:13 PM, Drroogh said:

It’s been two years since anyone has spent more than a day at the 100 plus year old family cabin. Rumors of water damage and squirrels living inside! So I knew there was a corner going bad, I didn’t expect this! And I’ve only got 4 days to fix it!

065D0C15-103B-4546-8F1A-940AEA1A2B15.jpeg

Well at least the hole is sealed, don’t look to close though.😜

2A94A284-C1C4-44ED-97CE-9F03C1F9FAD5.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DWB said:

Did you have to replace any of the framing? It didn't look too bad in the 1st pic.

That whole addition was custom built by my father, in order to replace the framing which is much needed, I would have had to tear out all 5 windows and make all new custom frame pieces. I didn’t have anywhere near that much time. So it is just a patch job.

46 minutes ago, rico said:

Got the barrels sealed and back to the lake.  Started on the shed addition but my time was limited as I had a couple of friends working on my Massey(tractor).

wall.jpg

What kind of roof you planning? Shed roof?  Gable @ 90° to existing shed?

On 8/30/2020 at 9:09 PM, milehiiu said:

Worked exceptionally well.  I am now clog free. Thanks for the video. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Cut down a dead tree and burned some of it up. Have several more to go. 

20200904_153854.jpg

Always a fun (?) (and dangerous!) job. Looks like you got a good hinge on it. Stay safe!

What's the plan for the stump? Pull it, burn it, let it rot, or termite food?

Edited by DWB

8 hours ago, DWB said:

Dangerous is right. I always try to keep focused and not get complacent. I did cut the stump further down after that pic. I have 3 in that area and soon to be a fourth. Would prefer to burn but the one pine that survived is 10 ft away and they burn easily. Will let nature take its course. After rotting for a year or two, will likely try to see if they pull free with my truck. 

I did not have have my wedges with me and even though I was trying to be careful, my saw still got pinched during that first cut. Had to use a tow strap and my truck to relieve the pressure and extricate my saw.