DIY projects

On 12/7/2020 at 6:49 PM, Zlinedavid said:

This isn't a joke. We own two 10 footers, at least 6 different 6 foot trees and a handful of minis. Not every one of them gets put up each year (obviously).

And yes, my wife has been to tree-hab for this addiction. Didn't help. 

And don't start on ornaments.....

We have (3) 7.5 foot trees...all up at our house. Growing up my family always got a live tree, but my wife insists on putting them up the weekend before Thanksgiving and a real tree has trouble keeping its needles that long, so we have went with artificial trees. 2 trees on main floor and 1 in basement. Technically, we have a charlie brown tree up as well in the upstairs kids playroom, but it has two ornaments on it ha. I'll try to take some pics at some point. Everyone's house looks nice decorated up!

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 7:01 AM, Billingsley99 said:

We have several in the garage but 5 or 6 years ago I talked my wife into a real tree. That has become a great family tradition.  Friday after Thanksgiving as a family we go to Bohmans Tree farm and wife becomes the tree whisperer.  Great time. After we get it loaded we go have some great fried chicken. 

I grew up with both. Divorced family My mom was all fake trees. My Dad would have none of that, real trees. We cut one down every year.

This year we went to my wifes parents the day after Thanksgiving.  Stopped north of Terre Haute on the way home, at a random tree farm, picked one and I cut it down. Happens to be some sort of spruce. 

My best friend that I grew up with, his dad sold Christmas trees. Our first Christmas he had a Blue Spruce, which doesnt exist around Southern Indiana.  It was prickly and I pussed out on getting it.  For 11 YEARS, she hasn't let it go, until now. My arms and legs were scratched up and down. But it was worth it to get her favorite Christmas tree ever. 

Man the things we go through for our better half. 😁

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 5:33 PM, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I recently just finished the back wall of my basement and the closed in the top areas above. Basement was completely unfinished and house was built new in 2018 and this was the last thing I did in there after the playroom and 1/2 bath. Still have some trim and baseboard to lay but making a lot of progress from a cement wall. Did all walls and pretty much everything but running electrical myself. And floors too. C457D048-C089-404D-B3E4-D0016DB2BAEC.thumb.jpeg.20010ed72bcb5ed76119391bf37b2502.jpegFeeling very accomplished lol. Had to get the deer hung up too. Was making me sad seeing them covered in plastic. 9FBE1D91-CA09-42C5-8057-F1EB6E1B65C8.thumb.jpeg.e4184528685e15282cce5e606e9e58e8.jpeg

Nice Bucks. Especially the one on the the left. Doesn't happen easily.  

And nice basement too. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is about as diy as it gets for me. Furnace blew on Sunday morning and I just watched 2 guys install a new one in under 90 minutes. There's my diy contribution to the thread.

Hell, I would have paid someone else myself!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Hell, I would have paid someone else myself!

Trust me. I keep an eye on this thread because I'm really impressed with some of you guys and building things.  My grandfather was on original ATT design team for video phone, my dad has built and rebuilt his GTO and Corvette from the ground up....you'd think somewhere along the way that sort of knowledge would be passed down. 

I know how to get an oil an change and unplug/plug things back in the wall. That's the extent of my ability for diy projects. Haha

• Haha 1

When I was a kid (like 8) I remember sitting on the basement steps, and watching my Dad try to fix Mom's wringer washing machine (yeah...I'm old). Anyway, I asked Dad why didn't he just call the repairman. To which my Dad answered: "Son...I might as well try to fix it myself. Cause the repair guy isn't gonna charge me anymore if I "F-it up" than he would in the first place".

Now I'm not one of the guys on this thread that are real craftsman. But not only have I saved $1000's of dollars on repair bills by fixing it myself, I also have acted as general contractor (and a bunch of sub-contractors as well) on the last 3 houses I've built. The trick is to be organized, patient, and know what you can, and cannot do, based on your comfort level.

And for the record...I would have called the HVAC guys too!! I don't do HVAC. I'll do electrical and plumbing, and a bunch of other stuff, but not HVAC.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Trust me. I keep an eye on this thread because I'm really impressed with some of you guys and building things.  My grandfather was on original ATT design team for video phone, my dad has built and rebuilt his GTO and Corvette from the ground up....you'd think somewhere along the way that sort of knowledge would be passed down. 

I know how to get an oil an change and unplug/plug things back in the wall. That's the extent of my ability for diy projects. Haha

Hope he got some of the AT&T stock. Sounds like my uncle who repaired helicopters in the Marines and would fix anything around the house. Owned a 76 or 77 Corvette. Also worked at AT&T until he switched over to Lucent. 

For me, it was just the opposite. My father didn't due anything, my mom put together our big wheels and toys as kids. I learned about wiring at IU hooking up my tv and stereo and gradually built up from there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

Hope he got some of the AT&T stock. Sounds like my uncle who repaired helicopters in the Marines and would fix anything around the house. Owned a 76 or 77 Corvette. Also worked at AT&T until he switched over to Lucent. 

For me, it was just the opposite. My father didn't due anything, my mom put together our big wheels and toys as kids. I learned about wiring at IU hooking up my tv and stereo and gradually built up from there.

My Dad makes "Tim 'The Toolman" Taylor" look like Superman.  The old man is about as mechaniclly/construction inclined as my dogs.  Hell, my dogs might be better.  Got all my knowledge from my Grandpa(Dad's Dad).

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, rico said:

My Dad makes "Tim 'The Toolman" Taylor" look like Superman.  The old man is about as mechaniclly/construction inclined as my dogs.  Hell, my dogs might be better.  Got all my knowledge from my Grandpa(Dad's Dad).

So even that skips a generation...

Call me Skippy... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My wife would like for me to make one of these for her but its far above my skill level. 1 end table.  If anyone can do it at a good rate I would buy it from you

Come Billingsley...you can do that !! It's a box with some trim on it. Not tough at all. Drawers will take some careful measurements, but some MDF, couple of pipe clamps, chop saw, and impact drill will cover 90% of what you need. Might be a good excuse for some new tools !!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DWB said:

Come Billingsley...you can do that !! It's a box with some trim on it. Not tough at all. Drawers will take some careful measurements, but some MDF, couple of pipe clamps, chop saw, and impact drill will cover 90% of what you need. Might be a good excuse for some new tools !!

YOu are giving me way too much credit but i appreciate the boost of confidence. If I try I will me my results.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

She saw these end tables at a place and they would not sell just 1 so she wants me to make one and the last table I tried to make did not work out so well. It matches our entertainment center

I am gonna have to think on that "barn door" application.  No, I can't build them and thanks for putting an idea into my head.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

YOu are giving me way too much credit but i appreciate the boost of confidence. If I try I will me my results.

Get one of these to fasten your corner joints. They're great. Can also make the joints for the door rails & styles.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kreg-Jig-Pocket-Hole-System-R3/202269070?mtc=Shopping-VF-F_D25T-B-D25T-25_7_POWER_TOOL_ACCESSORIES-Multi-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-PowerToolAccessories_HolidayPlusUp&cm_mmc=Shopping-VF-F_D25T-B-D25T-25_7_POWER_TOOL_ACCESSORIES-Multi-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-PowerToolAccessories_HolidayPlusUp-71700000076256048-58700006515108563-92700058905268102&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds

Edited by DWB

Just now, DWB said:

Thank you. I bought one for my son we did some tables during quarantine and he did a nice job and that tool made a world of difference. 

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just think of all the goodwill you will have coming if you are able to do it!

At some point in the future I am going to try to make a dining room table...I'm not too optimistic either since I have never attempted a table before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Just think of all the goodwill you will have coming if you are able to do it!

At some point in the future I am going to try to make a dining room table...I'm not too optimistic either since I have never attempted a table before.

What a great opportunity for LOTS of new tools !! Planer, joiner, clamps galore, sanders, routers & bits, and the list goes on and on. I'm envious !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My grandpa on my mom's side built his own house and owned a body shop car repair business, and was into woodworking and playing guitar.  

I work on my own cars and trucks, do all the work on my house, my own plumbing and electrical.  And taught myself to play guitar decently.  I think it may be genetic 

I'm pretty crafty too. Built a three tier cupcake stand for our wedding with a cordless drill and hacksaw and my mechanics socket set in my college dorm room. Still have it. Makes a nice corner peice.  

• Like 4