DIY projects

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Got the laminate flooring down in 3 rooms and have half of the accent wall in living room done. Galvanized tin with an antique barn wood border and will finish top half with white shiplap.  While I was working on those projects my wonderfully amazing wife took our old dark finish kitchen cabinets and distressed them.  They look awesome. Pics below to share.

20200507_092700.jpg

20200507_091928.jpg

20200507_092648.jpg

20200507_092657.jpg

Nice. Laying flooring is one job I don't mind and I've done it several times...we bought this house a couple years back and one of the first things we did was put down engineered hardwoods in most of house. You've been in beast mode these past few weeks!

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Nice. Laying flooring is one job I don't mind and I've done it several times...we bought this house a couple years back and one of the first things we did was put down engineered hardwoods in most of house. You've been in beast mode these past few weeks!

No choice. I sleep with the supervisor so long days and short night. Its amazing what some new flooring will do. I feel like I have half dozen incomplete jobs and that stresses me.

27 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

No choice. I sleep with the supervisor so long days and short night. Its amazing what some new flooring will do. I feel like I have half dozen incomplete jobs and that stresses me.

If it makes you feel better...you are getting way more done than I have lately...and I have the boss around the house all day too ha. I did finish building a ramp to the shed we bought last October. However, it was bittersweet, as I need to stain the entire shed/ramp and the deck this summer and it just reminded me of that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

If it makes you feel better...you are getting way more done than I have lately...and I have the boss around the house all day too ha. I did finish building a ramp to the shed we bought last October. However, it was bittersweet, as I need to stain the entire shed/ramp and the deck this summer and it just reminded me of that.

Happy wife happy.life!!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I have a good friend who is married and told me if he ever gets divorced he is moving to Hawaii ha. He is a RN so he can work anywhere.

I almost did a few years ago.  I have my Hawaii teaching license, so I just need to pull the trigger on it.  Housing prices are the main thing keeping me from doing it.  And to fit it back into this thread, it is tough fixing up a house out there too because of limited/expensive supplies.

42 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I almost did a few years ago.  I have my Hawaii teaching license, so I just need to pull the trigger on it.  Housing prices are the main thing keeping me from doing it.  And to fit it back into this thread, it is tough fixing up a house out there too because of limited/expensive supplies.

Yep at the time I was still single and had my teaching license and told him if he found a place out there maybe I would come out and crash at his place for awhile until I could afford my own ha...

I have to admit Im a little jealous of the free time some of you have to get the work done.  I am about to get started on some projects that I've put off. Just hard to get much done with 2 days off a week.  After I finally get my truck going my first project is an overhaul of my living room. Fix drywall, paint, and tear out carpet and lay down waterproof vinyl flooring. Then kitchen, then bathroom, then....just burn my house down. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Looks awesome.  I am embarrassed to show show my work after seeing that

Thank you for the kind words. Based on the pictures you provided you have done a great job. Trust me I have screwed up many thing in the stuff I have tried to do. 

YouTube, patience and measuring several times before cutting have been a saving grace for me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

my first project is an overhaul of my living room. Fix drywall, paint, and tear out carpet and lay down waterproof vinyl flooring. Then kitchen, then bathroom, then....just burn my house down. 

That's why I've always said it's easier to build from scratch than to "redo" everything. I've built every house we've ever lived in. (I think we're up to 6 now). While I am the general contractor, I'm also about 14 subs...foundation, plumbing, electrical, flooring, windows, tile, cabinet install, deck, paint, architect, irrigation, light excavation, and "Jose".

Edited by DWB
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, DWB said:

That's why I've always said it's easier to build from scratch than to "redo" everything. I've built every house we've ever lived in. (I think we're up to 6 now). While I am the general contractor, I'm also about 14 subs...foundation, plumbing, electrical, flooring, windows, tile, cabinet install, deck, paint, architect, irrigation, light excavation, and "Jose".

That means you had only one other Sub, the real Estate agent. Dude, you do know they work 30 minutes and make 7%, right? :)

BTW I really appreciate your sub skills! Not a dieing breed, dead.   

10 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

That means you had only one other Sub, the real Estate agent. Dude, you do know they work 30 minutes and make 7%, right? :)

I didn't use a real estate dude for the last 2. And I saved over a $125k on each of the last 2 builds from being my own subs. :cheers:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Thank you for the kind words. Based on the pictures you provided you have done a great job. Trust me I have screwed up many thing in the stuff I have tried to do. 

YouTube, patience and measuring several times before cutting have been a saving grace for me. 

Looks like you could hire out as a sub for builders !

15 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Well my major bathroom renovation is done. The shower door was installed today. Next up is the balance of the interior doors to change out and recase them. 

IMG_20200511_152634950.jpg

IMG_20200511_152528658.jpg

IMG_20200511_152517283.jpg

IMG_20200511_152445904.jpg

IMG_20200412_152847711.jpg

IMG_20200412_152831000.jpg

Very nicely done. Especially like the shower door/tiling. I think we have the same blinds!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Looks like you could hire out as a sub for builders !

No way Jose! Lol

The shower door I had made and installed by a glass company. This weekend I am installing the last three interior doors and trim and I will become officially retired from home improvement projects.

4 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

No way Jose! Lol

The shower door I had made and installed by a glass company. This weekend I am installing the last three interior doors and trim and I will become officially retired from home improvement projects.

Not if you're married...xD

• Haha 3

Going to start doing DIY wood projects. Wifey has a couple things she wants created. She wants a foyer table, but the bottom section as a closed off litter box with a good cut in the side. 

Also going to do some wood furniture. Something I’ve always wanted to do, just never had much time.