St Francis Post Game Thread

18 assists to 7 TOS. Don’t know final numbers, but 2nd half points in paint were 36 to 2 late in game. 

AD had his best game. Very aggressive, scoring 22 points. 

FT shooting was bad. I think we may have benefitted from the 2 shot bonus rule. 

Gave up too many open 3s. 

Looking ugly at halftime. Really liked the way they responded. 

Bring on the hogs

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

Love JVG, but this quote is pretty typical for him.  He’s the biggest apologist for coaches out there... To hear him tell it, no coach in the history of organized basketball has ever done anything wrong, lol.

He does do that!

But, I also don't think a coach should have to spend 5 weeks pleading with his team to play hard, and I think Archie got on the refs plenty, some random technical in late January wasn't going to change this season. 

54 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Great win for the Hoosiers when you consider that Langford and Thompson😢 did not play 'll Somehow , I accidently posted this on the wrong discussion . Sorry !

If Indiana does not play again until Saturday , more healing time for Langford and Race . However , I am thinking the Hoosiers will play on Thursday or Friday ?????

HTD - Hoosiers will play Saturday, exact time TBD but I saw a tweet from someone that suggested it may be Noon or 2 pm.

6'11" forward Daniel Gafford , who went off for 27 points and 3. blocked shots versus Indiana at Arkansas will not play in the rematch . Hoosiers had no one who could stop the Big fellow at Arkansas ! Also ,Devonte Green did not play at Arkansas ! Looking forward to revenge , .baby !!! By the way , the Official Hoosier web site says that the game will be played on Saturday and will be on ESPN at 2 or 4 pm. EST.

23 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Love JVG, but this quote is pretty typical for him.  He’s the biggest apologist for coaches out there... To hear him tell it, no coach in the history of organized basketball has ever done anything wrong, lol.

I was watching Iowa St in the Big 12 final and they talked about some problems off the court that Iowa St was having.  It sounded like some of the stuff our players was going through with some animosity some players were having with each other.  At some point their HC told them he was done and you guys will have to figure this out together because he has done everything he could do with this team.  I brought this up because sometimes a coach can just do so much then it is up to the players to decide if they want to play or not.

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He does do that!

But, I also don't think a coach should have to spend 5 weeks pleading with his team to play hard, and I think Archie got on the refs plenty, some random technical in late January wasn't going to change this season. 

I agree, I couldn't believe he didn't get one a few other times. I don't think the fact that it took to this point to get a tech is a reflection on how long it took him to get on the refs. 

Honestly, the way he continued with demonstrative yelling, I thought he might get kicked out. He hasn't been holding back with his reactions for a while.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was watching Iowa St in the Big 12 final and they talked about some problems off the court that Iowa St was having.  It sounded like some of the stuff our players was going through with some animosity some players were having with each other.  At some point their HC told them he was done and you guys will have to figure this out together because he has done everything he could do with this team.  I brought this up because sometimes a coach can just do so much then it is up to the players to decide if they want to play or not.

Yep, they had a fight in the locker room as well.

It seemed like we started the game last night with terrific energy and movement on offense.  Subsequently we missed some layups and reverted back to the bad habits of lazy movement and settling for 3's.

One thing that also stood out was that Green, Durham, and Phin were active most of the time.  Compare that offense to what we had when Romeo would stand at the 3 point line on the right side for much of the possession and I have to say I liked what we had last night much better.  Perhaps it was because of the talent level of the opponent, IDK.  I'd really like to see that kind of motion with Romeo involved.

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

Did anyone catch the St Francis coach’s comments after the game?

I saw it mentioned somewhere that he talked about IU a decent amount. 

Yes. Classy coach with very complimentary words about coming to IU, playing in AH, Coach Miller and players, and the reception they received. Worth a listen. The exact opposite of the last few games against Tom Izzo.

38 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

It seemed like we started the game last night with terrific energy and movement on offense.  Subsequently we missed some layups and reverted back to the bad habits of lazy movement and settling for 3's.

One thing that also stood out was that Green, Durham, and Phin were active most of the time.  Compare that offense to what we had when Romeo would stand at the 3 point line on the right side for much of the possession and I have to say I liked what we had last night much better.  Perhaps it was because of the talent level of the opponent, IDK.  I'd really like to see that kind of motion with Romeo involved.

Yeah, and say what you will about Dakich, but he pointed out, correctly, that Juwan was primarily struggling around the basket in the first half...I think I counted three missed layups in a row at one point, and they weren’t all his toughest shots by a mile. He wasn’t going up strong was the observation that Dakich made. We saw that a bit this year with JMo. 

So too did we see many other more problematic things, of course. The big thing is the shift of energy and how it deflates what can be a good offense. This is at least partially defined by lack of cohesion, lack of buying in, and lack of craftsmanship. The maddening thing is that if they are capable of beating a Michan State team twice, the formula should well be repeatable. If you aren’t able it’s due to poor and incomplete preparation, even if that preparation is moreso on the mental side.

I wish, once a rather disappointing season reaches its conclusion, one could get a complete look at what transpired behind the locker room doors.

42 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

Yes. Classy coach with very complimentary words about coming to IU, playing in AH, Coach Miller and players, and the reception they received. Worth a listen. The exact opposite of the last few games against Tom Izzo.

That was a great press conference. Very passionate coach. You can tell he loves the game and really cares about his players. With all of the recruiting sludge, etc, in the power 5, it’s refreshing to hear from this coach. What cbb should be about 

Archived