Calipari

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

“I’m not going to be the Alabama coach”. Nick Saban

Two weeks later he was. 

Calipari has to say this as long as KY is playing. His language is clever. He puts it all on the administration. If he decides to leave, the kissing cousins with giant satellite dish lawn ornaments won’t blame him.

10 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I bet all of this sequence was calculated, and it's actually a proven technique. Leaking the rumor, making a twitter announcement like this, talking to UCLA a couple of more times behind the scene, and finally milking UK for more $$$$. Way to go John! 

I don't mind UK paying $10M/year to this guy. 

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

“I’m not going to be the Alabama coach”. Nick Saban

Two weeks later he was. 

Calipari has to say this as long as KY is playing. His language is clever. He puts it all on the administration. If he decides to leave, the kissing cousins with giant satellite dish lawn ornaments won’t blame him.

"..could give a sh!t about North Carolina right now!"

Roy Williams just before taking the UNC job.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Source: Kentucky offers Calipari lifetime deal

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26417804/kentucky-offers-calipari-life-deal

Cal got what he wanted. Would he stay at UK?

Seems like Cal just wants to be appreciated. Crossroads time for both. They'd be foolish to expect better results even in their warped sense of the word....but the job is a pressure cooker known by only a few in any sport. 

He'd be a fool not to take it. Only things that would be an improvement in LA would be the weather and the shopping. Mindless kvetching from message boards aside, the man is a minor deity already.  Team has a dorm that rivals a 4 Seasons. Whatever he does to get players through academically seems to be covered well enough.

And yes, their fans will whine but as long as they're near the top next year, the ones paying the bills won't whine that loudly.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Seems like Cal just wants to be appreciated. Crossroads time for both. They'd be foolish to expect better results even in their warped sense of the word....but the job is a pressure cooker known by only a few in any sport. 

UK is a pressure cooker, but it's not like he would be downgrading in that department much.

I am thoroughly surprised that Laker's are not giving him a look for their gig.  That is the LA job I could see Calipari jumping ship for.  Has a former player on the team in Ingrim and relationship with Bron.  Not to mention, Cal's one big strength is dealing with outside noise and ego management, which fits nicely in LA's current needs.

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

UK is a pressure cooker, but it's not like he would be downgrading in that department much.

Just my opinion. Big, big difference between Kentucky and UCLA pressure. Year round, daily discussion vs 4 months. To me UCLA (and LA) for plenty of reasons just don't care the same way we do in this part of the country. Second thing though if he headed to UCLA he would buy himself at least 3-4 years of chilling out time before the pressure increases. At Kentucky....right now today the pressure is building and that won't go away. Every day of each year until he delivers another one. Given what I see on their roster and what's coming in I don't see next year being that title as well. Might be worth a break. 

10 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

I am thoroughly surprised that Laker's are not giving him a look for their gig.  That is the LA job I could see Calipari jumping ship for.  Has a former player on the team in Ingrim and relationship with Bron.  Not to mention, Cal's one big strength is dealing with outside noise and ego management, which fits nicely in LA's current needs.

Completely agree on the Lakers. I'm not sure how realistic either is, but if Cal ends up in LA I think it will be with the Lakers not UCLA. Just one note, Ingram played at Duke. 

50 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

I might be wrong but I thought Ingram went to Duke

1 hour ago, IUALUM03 said:

Ingram played at Duke, not UK

Archived