Collin Hartman

I would start him along with ROJO, Davis, Green and Morgan. 

That gives us some added outside shooting, somebody that can guard a big if need be and I think the 2 of best guys on our team at feeding the beast down low in Davis. Also, I think he would be able to reel in Green if he gets a little wild which I could see happening if he were with the 2nd unit. 

i think he can be a very important part of this team.  not as convinced as everyone else that he is a clear cut starter.  hasn't played in quite a while and i just don't remember him as quite as good as everyone else seems to remember.  that said, i could see it.  i still think the main thing comes down to how Archie operates.  does he try to start his 5 most talented players and not worry as much about position, etc.?  if so, i see the 3 guard offense we have seen in the past.  if he wants a bigger, more traditional lineup, i would say it has to be Collin.

I would like to point out something.  I think Hartman and 3 other names come quickly to mind.  Wittman, Kitchel, and Pat Graham, all of whom went down with injuries and got a medical red shirt.  Those 3 hit the floor the following season running on all cylinders.  I expect nothing less from Collin.

Good topic Mile! Been thinking about this for a while. 

I think Colin has to start out of necessity. Looking at our current roster, we're not terrible (we've got an 'ok' roster), but this is not a normal IU roster. We've got some decent, young talents, but they're still getting acclimated to college games. Not sure at this point but hopefully Justin Smith develops throughout the season and takes some burden off of Colin's shoulder. Or another possibility is we try 3 guard lineup occasionally to give Colin some breathing room. Newkirk and Johnson will play heavy minutes, so that way we can give Jones and Green good amount of playing time for their development. 

To me, the starting lineup looks quite obvious (Davis-Morgan-Hartman-Johnson-Newkirk). 

I still need to see how he's healed and what he can do on the court before anointing him a starter. If he's back as good as ever, start him but if he's super rusty and showing lack of ability on the court as a result of his injuries then he needs to come of the bench and show is leadership more off the court. I'm a big fan of his so I'm hoping he's better than ever and ready to contribute in a big way both on and off the court. 

If he's 100%, then I would start him, unless someone is clearly outplaying him in practice, which we clearly would not know. Consistent shooting will be an issue with this team, so anyone that can help space the floor will be an asset, plus he brings so many other intangibles. 

5 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

McSwain is Archie’s kind of player.  Strong, physical, and athletic.

Yes, especially on defense.  I went to the HH scrimmage, and McSwain seemed to grasp the defense better than any other player.  He also has the right tool set to play that defense -- i.e. strong, physical, and athletic.

4 hours ago, Chad B said:

If he is 100% healthy, I would start him.   He makes everyone around him better.

Yep. He's a steady, jack of all trades type that blends in well with lots of different types of players. The perfect complimentary piece for the starting line up.

Archived