March Madness thread

rico

So which Coach needs the next win more Painter or Bennett? Personally I think TB needs it. Painter and Purdue are content with their program and I don't see that marriage breaking up. TB though because he's consistently ranked in top 5 for years with no F4's really could use it for his resume. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So which Coach needs the next win more Painter or Bennett? Personally I think TB needs it. Painter and Purdue are content with their program and I don't see that marriage breaking up. TB though because he's consistently ranked in top 5 for years with no F4's really could use it for his resume. 

Obviously I'm biased but I agree re TB.  After last year's debacle and the fact that he's had several highly-ranked teams in the last 5 years with only making it at least to the 2nd weekend half the time?

2013-2014: #1 seed lost in S16 to Michigan State

2014-2015: #2 seed lost to #7 seed MSU in 2nd round

2015-2016: #1 seed lost to #10 seed Syracuse in Elite 8

2016-2017: #5 seed lost to #4 seed Florida in 2nd round

2017-2018: #1 seed lost to #16 seed UMBC in 1st round

Painter simply breaking through to the Elite 8 this year is huge.

14 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Obviously I'm biased but I agree re TB.  After last year's debacle and the fact that he's had several highly-ranked teams in the last 5 years with only making it at least to the 2nd weekend half the time?

2013-2014: #1 seed lost in S16 to Michigan State

2014-2015: #2 seed lost to #7 seed MSU in 2nd round

2015-2016: #1 seed lost to #10 seed Syracuse in Elite 8

2016-2017: #5 seed lost to #4 seed Florida in 2nd round

2017-2018: #1 seed lost to #16 seed UMBC in 1st round

Painter simply breaking through to the Elite 8 this year is huge.

Agree all day. Especially for Painter. I don't hide from my hatred of a rival but Painter is actually one of the good guys in the game. I find myself in odd territory tomorrow. How can I cheer for Painter but not Purdue? Safe travels and enjoy the game tomorrow. You never know when those come along. When I was in Rupp in 2002 I never thought it would be 17 years and counting to watch my team attempt to make another Final 4. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Bennett.  At this point, Painter's team has exceeded expectations.  Bennett's has only begun to approach their expectations. 

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Can not believe I have to root for Sampson tonight.

I will never defend Sampson and what he did but it’s sickening when you consider that we were thrown under the bus for phone calls and the sweet 16 includes:

UNC - should have received the death penalty

LSU - Coach is on tape discussing cash. Should not be in tourney

Auburn - Assistant Coach has plead guilty

Kansas - Dirty as they come.

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I will never defend Sampson and what he did but it’s sickening when you consider that we were thrown under the bus for phone calls and the sweet 16 includes:

My problem with Sampson is more the rampant drug use and horrendous academics than it is the phone calls.  The man is a heck of a coach though.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

My problem with Sampson is more the rampant drug use and horrendous academics than it is the phone calls.  The man is a heck of a coach though.

Agreed. Really felt bad for DJ White when all of that was going on.

My phone call reference was more of an indictment of the wildly inconsistent/ineffective NCAA.

6 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

it’s sickening when you consider that we were thrown under the bus for phone calls

Didn't we throw ourselves under the bus?  I don't recall every detail, but we did self-report.  Didn't we offer penalties including scholarship reductions, too?

Meanwhile, UNC spent millions on lawyers to fight charges everyone knew were true, and never missed a beat.

6 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Didn't we throw ourselves under the bus?  I don't recall every detail, but we did self-report.  Didn't we offer penalties including scholarship reductions, too?

Meanwhile, UNC spent millions on lawyers to fight charges everyone knew were true, and never missed a beat.

University of Miami did the same thing to successfully save their football program.

I guess the “life lesson” is deny, deny deny :(

4 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Kansas is not in the sweet 16

4 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Can someone explain how it was that Aaron Henry got too MSU,i think i recall that he almost committed to IU...he is playing well tonight. ..9pts 5rebs already

Yes I can since I work with his dad.  It sounds like Archie wanted a commitment from Aaron but he was not ready to commit so when Anderson and Hunter committed Archie stopped calling.

39 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes I can since I work with his dad.  It sounds like Archie wanted a commitment from Aaron but he was not ready to commit so when Anderson and Hunter committed Archie stopped calling.

Wow..that close...he is going to be a nice 3-4 year player..someone should do a thread on recruiting misses cause im watching Henry and Treamont Waters both play well

Archived