March Madness thread

rico

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess having Kyle Guy go off against Purdue is the closest Indiana can be to beating Purdue this year. All I can say is I hope this is enough to push Carson to go pro so we don’t have to play him again. Hard to say Purdue choked when they clearly and by far played their best basketball in the tournament....I mean they didn’t look good at the end of the season. I did not see this coming from them. They overachieved for sure.

Edwards is fearless. Eifert is a hustler. Kline is a stone cold sniper. Painter is a decent guy who gets the most out of his players and runs a program the right way.

All of the above is meant with absolute sincerity.

That said, I cannot bring myself to feel bad at this moment.

I agree that the season as a whole was fantastic for them. But they did choke in this game. If Ryan Cline hits  both free throws at the end of regulation the games over. Then we had exhibit A on why the foul when you’re up three can backfire big-time. They Absolutely had this game and blew it

10 minutes ago, hoosier8760 said:

That was a classic Matt painter choke job. Terrible foul at the end of regulation...should’ve made them take a contested three to force ot. And then a terrible last play should’ve ran screens for Edwards and let the hot hand shoot it

I actually liked the foul. The way Guy (and Jerome) were hitting 3s it was smart to not give them a chance. Hard to plan for a crazy play like that to force ot. 

Just now, hoosier8760 said:

I agree that the season as a whole was fantastic for them. But they did choke in this game. If Ryan Cline hits  both free throws at the end of regulation the games over. Then we had exhibit A on why the foul when you’re up three can backfire big-time. They Absolutely had this game and blew it

16.5 seconds left, I thought " Wow, Purdue is Final 4 bound".  Fouling there was a gamble.  Letting them shoot the contested, they have at best a 33% chance of making it if you go with the overall 3 point % for the game.  Going with Kyle Guy's %, it moves to 40-43%.  Fouling sets up a sequence of improbabilities against Virginia that must happen just for them to get to OT.  They must make the first free throw, they must miss the second.  They must get the offensive rebound, they must make a 2 point shot.  ESPN had the probability of this happening at less than 9% with Purdue having a 91% win probability at that point.  Painter made the right call. Since it's Purdue, the 9% looked like 90%.

1 minute ago, BeerBQ said:

I actually liked the foul. The way Guy (and Jerome) were hitting 3s it was smart to not give them a chance. Hard to plan for a crazy play like that to force ot. 

I mean I get the logic behind it but You’re basically slowing the game down for the team that needs it. And letting them potentially score points with the clock stopped and game plan a little bit. I guess I take my chances with the contested three especially when you KNOW they’re shooting one

Archived