March Madness thread

rico

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Purdue certainly had a much better season than I would have predicted.  Also, being able to hit so many big 3's, and sustain it in the tournament was phenominal.  It was only a few months ago, as the season was getting started that a few of their fans were griping about Painter and his recruiting - hard to say much negative about him today.

So, as both they and us slide into the off season, many questions abound.  We have multiple threads about our own various dramas but will PU's tourney performance create new questions for them?  Will this stoke interest from top-25 recruits? Will Painter become a hot commodity for a place like UCLA? With all the exposure and gushing from the media will Haarms be tempted to test the NBA waters? Same for any other players? Will the PU fans finally create a respectable and thriving message board of their own (no offense to Stlboiler, but it must be rough to be orphaned with no place to discuss BB other than one of your opponents message boards). 

It will definitely be interesting to watch how things unfold over the next several months.

8 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

will Painter become a hot commodity for a place like UCLA?

No way UCLA even considers Painter. And Painter would be a fool to consider moving to another school.

Hell he just bought 20 more years in West Lafayette with this tourney run. The administration considers him the greatest thing since, well, Lee Rose.

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No way UCLA even considers Painter. And Painter would be a fool to consider moving to another school.

Hell he just bought 20 more years in West Lafayette with this tourney run. The administration considers him the greatest thing since, well, Lee Rose.

I have this uncomfortable feeling of Sampson and UCLA pairing up. Not even a rumor to substantiate that, just a bad feeling.

Today is going to be a tough one and sometimes I question why I love sports so much. I want UK to lose but to see Pearl get Auburn to a F4 given his assistant has a felony on his record for illegal recruiting? I also want Duke to lose but I don't want whiny a-- Izzo to be on receiving end of another F4. Guess when i factor in everything I'll still be pulling for Auburn/Sparty which means bet the house on Duke/Kentucky to win. 

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I have this uncomfortable feeling of Sampson and UCLA pairing up. Not even a rumor to substantiate that, just a bad feeling.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Pro city/town....they could care less about the moral side of things like we do. Which has caused us to be where we are. 

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not one Purdue fan I know thinks very highly of Lee Rose.  

26 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That'd be like El Chapo joining the Gambino family.

UCLA is one of only 2 "blue-bloods" that would overlook a tainted resume (the Greenspan/Herbert/Indiana debacle be damned). 

The other one, UK, probably sees it as "already trained."

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I guess my humor is only funny to me...

Used Rose because he was A) mediocre and B) Because he was the last coach to get them to a Final 4...

LOL.  Understood.

I don't know, however if I would call Lee mediocre.  He did take 2 different squads to the FF.  I prefer to call him a money grubbing leech.

27 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL.  Understood.

I don't know, however if I would call Lee mediocre.  He did take 2 different squads to the FF.  I prefer to call him a money grubbing leech.

I'll always remember him for his post game antics after beating us - sprinting around the court like a lunatic. 

55 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL.  Understood.

Does anyone remember why he left? I googled a few articles. Wide range of opinions. Just seemed odd to leave so quickly after having that type of success. One article I read said he and King didn't get along. Another suggested he didn't like the idea of recruiting against Knight and Digger Phelps each year. 

I really enjoyed both games yesterday. Terrible play call by Painter IMO. get the ball to the middle of the floor. CE was very impressive. I wish Romeo would have played as selfishly as Edwards and that is not a knock. I have no problem with a guy who can score taking 20 or 30 shots a game.

I actually liked the sets that UVA ran especially to get Guy some looks early in second half. TB is one fine coach. Happy for him and his team. I cheered for them to lose last year and pulling for them to win it all this year.

I am very happy to see 1 knight assistant get to the final 4. Hope the other one gets bounced this afternoon. 

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Does anyone remember why he left? I googled a few articles. Wide range of opinions. Just seemed odd to leave so quickly after having that type of success. One article I read said he and King didn't get along. Another suggested he didn't like the idea of recruiting against Knight and Digger Phelps each year. 

What was really odd is he went to South Florida right after leading the Boilers to the FF.  Sun Belt to the Big 10 then back to the Sun Belt.  Really?

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Purdue certainly had a much better season than I would have predicted.  Also, being able to hit so many big 3's, and sustain it in the tournament was phenominal.  It was only a few months ago, as the season was getting started that a few of their fans were griping about Painter and his recruiting - hard to say much negative about him today.

So, as both they and us slide into the off season, many questions abound.  We have multiple threads about our own various dramas but will PU's tourney performance create new questions for them?  Will this stoke interest from top-25 recruits? Will Painter become a hot commodity for a place like UCLA? With all the exposure and gushing from the media will Haarms be tempted to test the NBA waters? Same for any other players? Will the PU fans finally create a respectable and thriving message board of their own (no offense to Stlboiler, but it must be rough to be orphaned with no place to discuss BB other than one of your opponents message boards). 

It will definitely be interesting to watch how things unfold over the next several months.

We already have a thriving message board haha. 

Archived