March Madness thread

rico

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I will admit Auburn is my number 2 team, but I was screaming for it live. It was obvious of you watched close IMO. 

I agree the foul on Guy was 100% the right call, I'm not sure what made it different than Browns last shot though. 

You mean the last shot at the buzzer? Huge difference. On Guy’s shot the defender jumped into the shooter. On Auburn’s heave at the buzzer the offensive player jumped into the UVA defender as he was backing up. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yes.  It was a foul.  But, there are literally dozens of lower body bumps that are not called every game.  Games would last 3 and a half hours and walk-ons would be playing at the end of every game if they called hip checks throughout.  If it's called inconsistently the first 39 minutes and 59 seconds, you sure don't call it there,  In that situation, you call it if the foul is on the hand or the elbow.  You don't call it if it's a hip bump.

My point exactly that is almost never called in the last second of the game, unless you are a complete a&&hole of a ref!

Just now, BGleas said:

You mean the last shot at the buzzer? Huge difference. On Guy’s shot the defender jumped into the shooter. On Auburn’s heave at the buzzer the offensive player jumped into the UVA defender as he was backing up. 

I disagree, I thought both guys were moving toward the pass. Brown caught it and shot in one motion, but the UVA defender was moving from when Brown took off. 

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yes.  It was a foul.  But, there are literally dozens of lower body bumps that are not called every game.  Games would last 3 and a half hours and walk-ons would be playing at the end of every game if they called hip checks throughout.  If it's called inconsistently the first 39 minutes and 59 seconds, you sure don't call it there,  In that situation, you call it if the foul is on the hand or the elbow.  You don't call it if it's a hip bump.

I don’t think that’s true at all. Sounds like hyperbole to me. The defender jumped into the shooters lower body. Clearly and obviously a foul. 

5 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

The original poster's point was Virginia is not very entertaining.  Efficiency doesn't necessarily mean entertaining. 

I think they are entertaining because I enjoy teams who actually set screens to get their shooter open and does not just dribble all the time.

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I disagree, I thought both guys were moving toward the pass. Brown caught it and shot in one motion, but the UVA defender was moving from when Brown took off. 

If you’re saying the Auburn player got fouled on the catch, I’ll have to go back and look at it, I wasn’t looking for that on any of the replays postgame. But on his shot he was not fouled. He turned into the defender (his back was to the basket, so he had to turn that way) as the defender backed off. 

1 minute ago, IUalum said:

Just read Coach Beard's bio.  Indiana fingerprints are all over this year's final.

10 years assistant under both Knights.

Kyle Guy, Indiana Mr B Ball, and Henry.

Interesting.

Wonder what Beard was thinking during his three years as Pat’s assistant? Something like “WTF, why am I the assistant” 

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Hip bump into a guy dribbling on the perimeter? OK fine, often not called. Hip bump into the legs of a shooter who's about to release the ball? Always a foul.

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If you’re saying the Auburn player got fouled on the catch, I’ll have to go back and look at it, I wasn’t looking for that on any of the replays postgame. But on his shot he was not fouled. He turned into the defender (his back was to the basket, so he had to turn that way) as the defender backed off. 

The catch and shot where in one motion. I'm saying he jumped to catch and the only spot to land was on an opponent that wasn't in that spot when Brown left his feet. 

To paraphrase the reasoning from why the play before was a foul, the defender left his feet in point A and landed in point B. 

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

LOL.  I was thinking exactly the same thing.

I was too.  But Beard has an impressive record at almost every level.

I am pulling for the Big Ten, and my son graduated from MSU Law, so, OK, MSU could win, but it is hard to pull agaist TT.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

The catch and shot where in one motion. I'm saying he jumped to catch and the only spot to land was on an opponent that wasn't in that spot when Brown left his feet. 

To paraphrase the reasoning from why the play before was a foul, the defender left his feet in point A and landed in point B. 

That’s not what I saw. Will try and find a highlight though to confirm either way. Contact has to happen, not just the act of point A to B jump. Again, I’ll try and rewatch it, but not sure how the defender jumped into the one-motion catch/shoot while also going backwards at the same time?

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That’s not what I saw. Will try and find a highlight though to confirm either way. Contact has to happen, not just the act of point A to B jump. Again, I’ll try and rewatch it, but not sure how the defender jumped into the one-motion catch/shoot while also going backwards at the same time?

Is your point you can't foul backing away? That seems like you're now measuring intent, and that has no part of this. 

The reality is he came into Brown's space as he tried to catch and shoot and gave him no where to land. 

Auburn had their hands up pulling away from Guy when contact happened, too. But he jumped from one spot and landed into his space, so as you so clearly pointed out it's an easy foul. It has to be on the other end. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Is your point you can't foul backing away? That seems like you're now measuring intent, and that has no part of this. 

The reality is he came into Brown's space as he tried to catch and shoot and gave him no where to land. 

Auburn had their hands up pulling away from Guy when contact happened, too. But he jumped from one spot and landed into his space, so as you so clearly pointed out it's an easy foul. It has to be on the other end. 

If I’m a defender backing away from a shooter and the shooter jumps into me as I’m backing away, and I don’t swipe with my arms down or anything, that is not a foul on the defender. 

On the Guy shot, it has nothing to do with the defenders hands/arms, the defender jumped into Guy, not away from him, and bumped Guy’s lower body on his shot. That is a foul. 

I think your description of Auburn’s late heave is not how it happened. But again, I need to see it again as I only watched it twice. 

12 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Really wondering at this point? So many of our talented posters defending the official call at the end of the Auburn game?? Not sure the sentiment would be the same in an IU game?

Live? I would have been screaming at the TV. After seeing the replay I would have changed my mind and agreed it was a foul. Barkley agreed it was a foul after seeing the replay. 

Archived