March Madness thread

rico

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I have watched a lot of elementary, middle school, and youth rec league ball the last several years.  I have never, ever seen that type of play not result in a double dribble until tonight.  And obviously those games are with a different level of officials.  That was a failure of colossal proportions.  

Exactly. Can't miss that call ever. Those officials should never be allowed to be on the big stage again. They altered history there. Who knows if Bennett wins a title people will say how elite he is? If Pearl advances maybe people overlook his past? Either way (much like the NFL changed the rules after no call in Saints game) there has to be a way to get the obvious calls right in the final 1-2 minutes of a game. The stakes are so high. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Indykev said:

You might have been the only person in the world to catch that in real time when it happened. You typed they missed the double dribble, i thought what ? It took tv a few mins before they caught it.

I've seen a lot of people say something similar to this, but I've seen a lot that also say they saw it live. Is it possible it was pretty easy to spot live if you were paying close attention but a lot of people weren't because it wasn't their team? 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I've seen a lot of people say something similar to this, but I've seen a lot that also say they saw it live. Is it possible it was pretty easy to spot live if you were paying close attention but a lot of people weren't because it wasn't their team? 

I'm not patting myself on my back but was yelling double dribble the second it happened. Was really shocked it took Gene to explain to the nation the missed call. Not only the double dribble but the obvious foul by Auburn because they had one to give.

Guarantee coaches everywhere are telling themselves this morning if we have fouls to give and will be fouling we apparently now have to tell officials before that we will be fouling so they don't miss. Sirmons and Kimble should never be allowed near a F4 court again. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t think these folks saw it 

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/06/view-from-final-fours-worst-seats-its-the-white-ants-versus-the-blue-ants/

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

I dont care for peach basket basketball.

Peach basket ball got better after someone was smart enough to cut a hole in the bottom of the basket.  I'll admit, it got a little boring when they had to get a ladder out to retrieve the ball every time someone made a basket.  

I get that UVA plays "slow"... but let's think for a moment... 

You're Tony Bennett and you play in a conference with teams such as Duke and UNC.. I mean those two teams are the class of the ACC 2 of the top 5 programs in the country.... so how do you combat that? How can you beat them on a consistent basis? What can you do so uniquely that you cause a match problem consistently? 

They cannot recruit athletes consistently enough to "run" or "play uptempo" with the likes of Duke or UNC.. cant do it. So, yeah we can call it boring, but its effective and its garnered results. They're 34-3, 31-3, 23-11, 29-8, 30-4, 30-7  the past 6 years. Also they're 9-9 vs. UNC and Duke in those seasons, pretty impressive. 

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not patting myself on my back but was yelling double dribble the second it happened. Was really shocked it took Gene to explain to the nation the missed call. Not only the double dribble but the obvious foul by Auburn because they had one to give.

Guarantee coaches everywhere are telling themselves this morning if we have fouls to give and will be fouling we apparently now have to tell officials before that we will be fouling so they don't miss. Sirmons and Kimble should never be allowed near a F4 court again. 

I agree with that. And I do think Auburn fouled on the double dribble, but not calling it also helped UVA. The foul was in the back out; not actually calling it until the ball was in the front court was a huge help to UVA from a placement of the inbounds perspective. 

9 hours ago, Indykev said:

I dont care for peach basket basketball.

So you like just like the glitz and glamour and the Sportscenter top plays than what basketball was meant to be.  I don't have to see a team go up and down the court run and gunning to enjoy a basketball game.  I like seeing a lot of different type of styles of paly and that is what use to make the game so great  Today with the 30 second clock it takes away a lot of teams using different styles of play because it is hard to run certain type of offense with a 30 second clock.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why not? because I watch every tournament game

Actually with the late start I would probably only end up with about four hours sleep before going to work. Without anybody I really want to root for or against, just not worth it.

Just now, Drroogh said:

Actually with the late start I would probably only end up with about four hours sleep before going to work. Without anybody I really want to root for or against, just not worth it.

I get up at 6:30 at work and I will still stay up and watch it until One Shining Moment goes off.  Game will be off about 11:15 so that is about the time I go to bed anyway.  I actually like watching games where I don't have a rooting interest in better because I can just enjoy the game and not get upset during the game.

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So you like just like the glitz and glamour and the Sportscenter top plays than what basketball was meant to be.  I don't have to see a team go up and down the court run and gunning to enjoy a basketball game.  I like seeing a lot of different type of styles of paly and that is what use to make the game so great  Today with the 30 second clock it takes away a lot of teams using different styles of play because it is hard to run certain type of offense with a 30 second clock.

I love the clock because I hated Dean Smith's 4 corners. First team to 40 wins tomorrow. I hope TT blows them out.

17 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Not sure any conmen sense is involved, but if you lived in Georgia like I have for the last almost 20 years, you would realize just how little respect there is for playing by the rules there is! just jades my opinion  of teams

I live in SEC country...and you are correct none of these schools nor people that support them worry about playing by the rules. It’s just don’t get caught. Sad but true.

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

I love the clock because I hated Dean Smith's 4 corners. First team to 40 wins tomorrow. I hope TT blows them out.

I never liked the 4 corners either but scoring e=before the shot clock on average was higher then than it is now with a shot clock.  You could have a diverse type f ways to play then but today everyone pretty much as to play the same way offensively.

Archived