March Madness thread

rico

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

What was the dumb play UCF made? If you say the alley oop was dumb please just stop watching modern basketball. It was wide open and hit the guy in his hands; he can drop that just as easy as a bounce pass. There was nothing dumb about that play. 

I said it in the post you quoted - Tacko committing the foul on Zion when they were up 3, and allowing him to get the ball on the rim, which ended up going in. Either just let him score, which would have been preferable as Tacko wouldn't have fouled out, or if you're going to foul, make sure he doesn't get the ball anywhere near the rim. I didn't have a problem with the alley oop personally, but some people have said that they could have pulled it out and used some time (I don't remember the exact details of that). 

Yeah, I don’t really see the issue with how the game played out, and I probably hate Duke more than the average person.  Especially considering that UCF got gifted a basket after the replay clearly showed the ball didn’t hit the rim before the shot clock expired.  The only really egregious no-call in favor of Duke was the hook and hold on DeLaurier, but again, there was a bad call that went UCF’s way as well to even it out.  

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, I don’t really see the issue with how the game played out, and I probably hate Duke more than the average person.  Especially considering that UCF got gifted a basket after the replay clearly showed the ball didn’t hit the rim before the shot clock expired.  The only really egregious no-call in favor of Duke was the hook and hold on DeLaurier, but again, there was a bad call that went UCF’s way as well to even it out.  

Nothing was "clear" about that - one replay looked like it didn't hit the rim, the other looked like it did. We had 4 people in the room watching the game, and we were split on whether it did or not, and there are people all over this board debating it, which means the refs made the right call - there wasn't definitive evidence to overturn it.

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

They "won" because of completely blown or ignored calls. Some people want to keep talking about that, which is understandable.

Omg UCF got two points when there should have been a shot clock violation but no one is crying about that so please we could argue the whole game...it’s over the refs didn’t take away the game from anyone..Duke won it’s time to move on to important things like talking about who will beat Purdue and UK.

7 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yeah, not happy that there is not one Cinderella story left in the tournament. Liberty played decently for awhile, but eventually caved. I thought UC Irvine would have a chance against Oregon, but they couldn't do it either.

Not sure who to root for now. If I am staying allegiant to the B1G, Michigan is the only team I can root for, in good conscience. I would like to see Tony Bennett have his day in the sun.

No one else really matters to me.

I don’t want a B1G school to win it because it will be a selling point over Archie...I’ll root for Tennessee and Gonzaga...Barnes is a nice story and he has a veteran class full of kids no one wanted and Gonzaga plays and does it the right way!

45 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Nothing was "clear" about that - one replay looked like it didn't hit the rim, the other looked like it did. We had 4 people in the room watching the game, and we were split on whether it did or not, and there are people all over this board debating it, which means the refs made the right call - there wasn't definitive evidence to overturn it.

Meh, I know what I saw with my own eyes. No part of the ball hit the rim from any angle I saw.

But people are always going to have different opinions on calls.  There was nothing “clear” about Zion’s pushoff or Barrett’s alleged push in the back (especially the latter, calling a foul on Barrett in that situation would have been an absolutely terrible call IMO).  Like I said, they missed the hook and hold on DeLaurier, but UCF got the benefit of some questionable calls as well (blatant no call on Fall when he had 3 or 4 fouls also comes to mind).  All evens out in the end.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Omg UCF got two points when there should have been a shot clock violation but no one is crying about that so please we could argue the whole game...it’s over the refs didn’t take away the game from anyone..Duke won it’s time to move on to important things like talking about who will beat Purdue and UK.

You can decide if you move on from this, but not if others do or want to.

Now that I have that out of the way.  It's Duke, they have gotten the calls for almost 3 decades.  While I'm not losing sleep over it.

To me, the point of contention, you need to as a referee get the last 20 seconds of the game correct.  Even more egregious, was the hook and hold, we lost collectively as fans years waiting on reviews of hook and hold replays.  Why couldn't we wait a few more moments for one of the most important calls in one of the biggest games of the year?  This was to be all about safety...

39 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Meh, I know what I saw with my own eyes. No part of the ball hit the rim from any angle I saw.

But people are always going to have different opinions on calls.  There was nothing “clear” about Zion’s pushoff or Barrett’s alleged push in the back (especially the latter, calling a foul on Barrett in that situation would have been an absolutely terrible call IMO).  Like I said, they missed the hook and hold on DeLaurier, but UCF got the benefit of some questionable calls as well (blatant no call on Fall when he had 3 or 4 fouls also comes to mind).  All evens out in the end.

I thought the bottom of the ball possibly grazed the rim on the replay from the side, but the one from the top looked like it missed it. I just didn't see anything definitive that would allow it to be overturned. If they had said it didn't hit the rim on the original call and not overturned that after replay, I probably would have been ok with that, too. Definitely agree on the other calls as well, especially the missed call on what should have been Tacko's fifth. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think McRoberts if fully healthy would have been a good shooter this year.

I disagree with you on that one. He might have been better but Grady shot 43% on 78 attempts. McRoberts has 81 total 3-point attempts his entire 4-year career. I don’t think even a completely healthy McRoberts was going to shoot at that high of a clip on that many shots. 

2 minutes ago, Hard Hat said:

Sorry but I’m cheering for Purdue.  I hate those southern teams.  Tennessee shouldn’t even be associated with basketball.  Sue me.

And Bernard King, Ernie Grunfeld, Dale Ellis, and Alan Houston are shaking their heads.....

Archived