March Madness thread

rico

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Is anyone else just SICK to their stomachs about the team we had and how bad our effort was when watching some of these small schools with half our talent KILLING IT with effort? Makes me SICK.

Exactly what I thought while watching Bradley. 

9 hours ago, MPM said:

If Old Dominion is the best team in Conference USA, then that’s one bad conference. This team looks awful. 19 points in one half, 1 assist on 8 baskets. They have as many fouls as field goals. 

I listened to someone on talk radio say that ODU is the worst team in the field. He also said to take the under and take ODU and the points and bet big. I am not a gambler but if anyone took his advice they would have won. 

He also said that of the top 20 seeded teams Purdue has covered the spread less than any other team

17 hours ago, BGleas said:

Did you see him going at Aaron Henry? Players had to hold him back. 

Made the front page on Fox news, lol

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/michigan-state-coach-tom-izzo-restrained-while-berating-freshman-player-aaron-henry

Of course, Greenberg defended Izzo.

Maybe Henry will transfer? Can't like being embarrassed like this on the national stage.

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/michigan-state-coach-tom-izzo-restrained-while-berating-freshman-player-aaron-henry

Maybe Henry will transfer? Can't like being embarrassed like this on the national stage.

Obviously hate Izzo, but this “controversy” is so damn ridiculous.

BREAKING NEWS: College basketball coach yells at college basketball player in huddle

Gimme a break.  Amazing how soft our society has become.

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think Henry would look soft if he did transfer transfer because of this. 

I also see a non-issue.  Perhaps he should give a more even effort on a national stage? Lol   I got a good laugh out of watching it though :D  

16 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

BREAKING NEWS: College basketball coach yells at college basketball player in huddle

Agree, this is a total non-issue. I do think Izzo completely lost his composure and acted like a maniac, it's still not a big deal. 

16 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Couldn't agree more. Here are Izzo's quotes as to why he was so upset with Henry:

"What's wrong with challenging a kid that makes some mistakes?'' Izzo said after the No. 2 seed Spartans' 76-65 win. "Aaron Henry -- trust me -- did some things that you can't do as a starter on a top-5 team at the end of your freshman year. They were effort-related.

"I did get after him. He did respond. He did make a couple of big buckets. He did make some big free throws but that's not good enough. It's one-and-done time. The 'my-bads' are out the window."

I know people like to hate on Izzo on here, and I get why, but there's a certain former IU coach who would have done exactly the same thing or more, and would have said similar things, although probably with a little more colorful language. Might have helped if our current coach had done this to a couple of guys during that losing streak, too. 

40 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Couldn't agree more. Here are Izzo's quotes as to why he was so upset with Henry:

"What's wrong with challenging a kid that makes some mistakes?'' Izzo said after the No. 2 seed Spartans' 76-65 win. "Aaron Henry -- trust me -- did some things that you can't do as a starter on a top-5 team at the end of your freshman year. They were effort-related.

"I did get after him. He did respond. He did make a couple of big buckets. He did make some big free throws but that's not good enough. It's one-and-done time. The 'my-bads' are out the window."

I know people like to hate on Izzo on here, and I get why, but there's a certain former IU coach who would have done exactly the same thing or more, and would have said similar things, although probably with a little more colorful language. Might have helped if our current coach had done this to a couple of guys during that losing streak, too. 

I did not see the game but heard the stories and could not wait to see this and was like meh... just another day for me when I played. I got treated like that for other guys making mistakes. Our society is softer that a roll of Charmin!!!!

58 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Put the Izzo hate aside and there is nothing to see here. A coach doing his job. He gets paid to win games not baby players another example of the wussification of our country that this is headline news. 

Archie should of been doing that numerous times this year. My one and only criticism of him. When some you know what needs chewing out he needs to chew it out!

9 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Archie should of been doing that numerous times this year. My one and only criticism of him. When some you know what needs chewing out he needs to chew it out!

Have you seen Archie on the sideline? Dude can get plenty heated/amped up. Based on his postgame comments following NIT round 1, sounds like he challenges/mixes it up in the locker room quite a bit too. 

I still see your point though, I think there's been a handful of times this season where we're all so frustrated seeing jogging/lack of passion/energy on the court and we just want Archie to grab the player by the collar and tell them to wake up.

12 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Numerous times this year I saw Archie jet off the sidelines toward a certain player when a timeout was called, and I'm sure it wasn't to give them a pat on the rear. So I think he does chew them out, but without the Izzo histronics.

I haven't been a big fan of Izzo's behavior as of late, but this is a total non issue.  Certain situations require a kick in the ass, certain situations require a pat on the back.  Good coaches know when to apply either one.  And recent whining aside, Izzo can still coach. 

5 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Duke, Gonzga, UNC, Virginia are the top 4.  Who is 5th?  Mich St? Michigan? Tenn? Kentucky?

Top 10 for sure, but 5th?  The other #2 seeds are right there as well.  Not saying they aren't, but its no sure fire they are the 5th best

Hers the top 10. MSU is 6th so I don't think one spot diminishes Izzo's point.

Screenshot_20190322-111547_Chrome.jpg

Watching MSU this year, I think Henry has been asked to do things he isn’t quite ready for and has struggled at times. If he keeps his confidence, it will pay off in long run. 

Seeing Dane and Winston step in yesterday, I suspect they pulled him aside later and gave the “listen to what he says, don’t worry how he says it” speech that Knight’s players heard all the time. 

Will be interesting to see how Henry responds next game. Seems like a tough kid. 

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

Herny defended Izzo and has been retwitting anyone defending Izzo today. He isnt going any where.

Archived