Bryce Drew

Said this in a thread about Drew earlier in February, while Vandy isn't an easy place to win, it is doable, as Kevin Stallings had about 10 really good years there. But Drew made a very calculated mistake by trying to go the one and done route at Vandy. That was just a very poor judgement call by him. There are a lot of things a program has to have in place to support a team with multiple one and dones.

UK is set up for this. Duke is set for this. Kansas, etc. Vanderbilt is not and it was a big mistake by Drew that ultimately cost him his job. At Vandy you're trying to do what Barnes has done at Tennessee. Or something like Wisconsin. You're never going to turn Vandy into Duke or UK, it will backfire massively. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Said this in a thread about Drew earlier in February, while Vandy isn't an easy place to win, it is doable, as Kevin Stallings had about 10 really good years there. But Drew made a very calculated mistake by trying to go the one and done route at Vandy. That was just a very poor judgement call by him. There are a lot of things a program has to have in place to support a team with multiple one and dones.

UK is set up for this. Duke is set for this. Kansas, etc. Vanderbilt is not and it was a big mistake by Drew that ultimately cost him his job. At Vandy you're trying to do what Barnes has done at Tennessee. Or something like Wisconsin. You're never going to turn Vandy into Duke or UK, it will backfire massively. 

I agree completely. I'll add that at this time, we're not set up for that strategy either.

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

On one hand, I agree.  On the other hand, there's always a ton of backlash if a coach doesn't go after and land the highly regarded "local" recruit. 

Double edged sword, I suppose. 

I wonder if we will see any transfers now that this has happened. Aaron Nesmith (SG) could be a good addition to IU should he look to leave. As a freshman he shot 34% (59/175) from behind the arc. Not the best stat but almost certainly better than everyone else we have minus Green (42/101) and Durham (36/101). 

25 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I agree completely. I'll add that at this time, we're not set up for that strategy either.

Agree. Maybe when Archie has 5-6 years in and the culture is established, but not now. This is why I wasn't that worried about landing Brooks. 

21 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

On one hand, I agree.  On the other hand, there's always a ton of backlash if a coach doesn't go after and land the highly regarded "local" recruit. 

Double edged sword, I suppose. 

I'm not specifically talking about Garland, as I agree on the local point, but how much time did he waste going after Langford and Shittu (I realize he landed Shittu)? Instead of the time and effort with those two he could have added two really good grad transfers or two freshmen that more would fit the Vanderbilt mold. Not saying it would have helped a ton this specific season, but at Vandy you need to build a program, the one and done would never be sustainable there. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not specifically talking about Garland, as I agree on the local point, but how much time did he waste going after Langford and Shittu (I realize he landed Shittu)? Instead of the time and effort with those two he could have added two really good grad transfers or two freshmen that more would fit the Vanderbilt mold. Not saying it would have helped a ton this specific season, but at Vandy you need to build a program, the one and done would never be sustainable there. 

Playing some devils advocate here but if Garland and Shittu are not injured Drew still has a job IMO

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Playing some devils advocate here but if Garland and Shittu are not injured Drew still has a job IMO

Absolutely agree, but they still would have been middle of pack at best in the SEC, then both would be gone. He wasn't replacing them with 2-3 more one and done's next season. It's just not a sustainable model at Vandy. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely agree, but they still would have been middle of pack at best in the SEC, then both would be gone. He wasn't replacing them with 2-3 more one and done's next season. It's just not a sustainable model at Vandy. 

Agree as well. The 1 and done model is a tough one to orchestrate for sure. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosier92 said:

9-23 overall and 0-18 in their conference. 

Back to back 20 loss seasons then right? IMO if your gonna clean house and start fresh then they are going about it the right way.

Maybe Garland being healthy this season gets them above .500 and saves Drew’s job with the previous athletic director. I feel like this Turner guy was brought in to clean up and Garland or not Drew was out. 

If Drew needs a Garland or two around to maintain his job status, he isn’t much of a Coach.

Anyone have any idea who they may be going after? 

21 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Back to back 20 loss seasons then right? IMO if your gonna clean house and start fresh then they are going about it the right way.

Maybe Garland being healthy this season gets them above .500 and saves Drew’s job with the previous athletic director. I feel like this Turner guy was brought in to clean up and Garland or not Drew was out. 

If Drew needs a Garland or two around to maintain his job status, he isn’t much of a Coach.

Anyone have any idea who they may be going after? 

On Twitter it was said they would use the same firm that found the new AD. With him having ties to the NBA it could be interesting to see if they try to get someone from there. Doubt they get a HC from the NBA but might be able to snag an assistant from there. No names have been given yet that I am aware of.

49 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You're correct, it's not.  But, what I think Drew hoped the effect Garland had was the same that Cody/Romeo had with Indiana.  Maybe wouldn't have drawn certain recruits specifically, but it was a sign that this was a program worth looking at. 

Archived