Bryce Drew

This is what caught my eye...

“In what would be an unusual move, Turner is looking to reassign Drew to another position in the school to avoid paying his buyout, according to sources.”

Could this actually work??  “Reassign” him to another position so he has to quit and walk away from his buyout?  I would assume his contract has language preventing this from happening, but maybe not...  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

2 hours ago, Hoosier92 said:

I wonder if we will see any transfers now that this has happened. Aaron Nesmith (SG) could be a good addition to IU should he look to leave. As a freshman he shot 34% (59/175) from behind the arc. Not the best stat but almost certainly better than everyone else we have minus Green (42/101) and Durham (36/101). 

This team isn't good enough to take on transfers that arent grad transfers.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

“In what would be an unusual move, Turner is looking to reassign Drew to another position in the school to avoid paying his buyout, according to sources.”

Could this actually work??  “Reassign” him to another position so he has to quit and walk away from his buyout?  I would assume his contract has language preventing this from happening, but maybe not...  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If I'm Drew, I consider this as the gloves being dropped and time for battle.  Total bull Schenectady.  

8 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

He, Drew i'am guessing, wouldn't be hired right away. Play the game , get re-assigned, never show up for the job, either force the firing or sit back and collect your cash and play golf.

2 hours ago, Inequality said:

Back to back 20 loss seasons then right? IMO if your gonna clean house and start fresh then they are going about it the right way.

Maybe Garland being healthy this season gets them above .500 and saves Drew’s job with the previous athletic director. I feel like this Turner guy was brought in to clean up and Garland or not Drew was out. 

If Drew needs a Garland or two around to maintain his job status, he isn’t much of a Coach.

Anyone have any idea who they may be going after? 

Why Billy D. and Brad S., of course.

One thing I've thought throughout this discussion...I agree that 3 years is a really short leash that may make finding a replacement tough.

What if Archie had a similar year at IU in his 3rd year...you think he'd survive?  Not of the fan forums had their way.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

One thing I've thought throughout this discussion...I agree that 3 years is a really short leash that may make finding a replacement tough.

What if Archie had a similar year at IU in his 3rd year...you think he'd survive?  Not of the fan forums had their way.

Alabama also firing Avery Johnson after four years with only one tourney appearance and a 75-62 overall record (34-38 in conference).  These moves make me wonder why SEC schools should have higher standards than IU?

Like it or not, if we miss the tourney next year, it’s win or go home for Archie in Year 4.  And if next year is another dumpster fire like it was this year, he very well could end up like Drew.  3-4 years is all any halfway decent coach should need to get a program up and running, especially a program with the built-in advantages IU has (see Crean, Tom).

Maybe they are getting fired for not paying players and running a clean program. After all LSU and Auburn and UK all benefit from the greasing the wheels and have even been caught yet nothjng happens to them. I would not want to coach in the Sec. Almost all of them have been caught cheating in football and many now have in basketball...no way you can succeed competing against those bunch of sleeze bags. Not to mention I imagine Vanderbilt doesn’t have fake classes like UNC either.

46 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Alabama also firing Avery Johnson after four years with only one tourney appearance and a 75-62 overall record (34-38 in conference).  These moves make me wonder why SEC schools should have higher standards than IU?

Like it or not, if we miss the tourney next year, it’s win or go home for Archie in Year 4.  And if next year is another dumpster fire like it was this year, he very well could end up like Drew.  3-4 years is all any halfway decent coach should need to get a program up and running, especially a program with the built-in advantages IU has (see Crean, Tom).

I'm not sure IU has all the advantage we all like to think. Of course there's the fans, arena, history, etc., and I admittedly haven't listened to the Brian Snow podcast about IU yet that was posted earlier, but it was posted on TOS and apparently Snow goes into great detail about how dysfunctional the athletic program is at IU. Apparently a lot about how Archie was pretty shocked when he arrived that Dayton had better processes, support, and amenities.

Again, I haven't listened to it myself, but from what was being said on another forum it really explains a lot. Even things like how the compliance office is basically out to catch the program cheating, not to help them navigate the rules and use them to their advantage. Another comment was that Dayton paid more than IU for buy games. 

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

You're correct, it's not.  But, what I think Drew hoped the effect Garland had was the same that Cody/Romeo had with Indiana.  Maybe wouldn't have drawn certain recruits specifically, but it was a sign that this was a program worth looking at. 

You must have missed one of my posts earlier, I didn't mean Garland. Of course you have to go after the local kid. But the idea that Drew should go after the "mega" class with Shittu and Langford was laughable, even if he was able to somehow land all three. Vanderbilt simply isn't a program set-up to support that. I don't even think IU is right now. 

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm not sure IU has all the advantage we all like to think. Of course there's the fans, arena, history, etc., and I admittedly haven't listened to the Brian Snow podcast about IU yet that was posted earlier, but it was posted on TOS and apparently Snow goes into great detail about how dysfunctional the athletic program is at IU. Apparently a lot about how Archie was pretty shocked when he arrived that Dayton had better processes, support, and amenities.

Again, I haven't listened to it myself, but from what was being said on another forum it really explains a lot. Even things like how the compliance office is basically out to catch the program cheating, not to help them navigate the rules and use them to their advantage. Another comment was that Dayton paid more than IU for buy games. 

This is what happens when a corporate attorney is in charge of an organization. They are trained to be overly risk averse. Not that we want violations, but if you ever see a general counsel named CEO, sell the stock. Formula for paralysis. 

Fred needs to be “promoted” to a position at the IU Foundation. Then we get a real AD

I was just watching 'CBS Saturday Morning'. They had a segment on Avery Johnson and the fact that his son plays for him at Alabama. It was a nice father/son story. During the segment they interviewed one other SEC coach, Bryce Drew, to talk about how close of a relationship Avery and his son have & how it's good for college ball.

They are both now looking for jobs.

Oops. 😲

Archived