SIAP: Interesting Podcast with Brian Snow

Sorry if this was posted some place else. This is a long (2 hrs) podcast but very interesting listen about Snow's thoughts on Miller. The most interesting thing is insight into recruiting and his thoughts that Mack was a better fit for IU based on personality and Holtman was a better fit for Louisville and Miller to OSU.

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/17346609

IMO, Archie's personality is fine. I mean, IU had dealt with one of the worst personalities of all time in Bob Knight, and fans worshiped him (a lot of them still do).  Archie's teams just needed to win more and more consistently. I think he now has 2 more seasons to make a quantum leap, or it'd be difficult. 

This was a great podcast and good insight.

IU might not of been paying for games - however, let me ask did that have a negative effect?  Is there examples?  

IU under Crean had one of the largest recruiting budgets in the county.  Crean used every penny.  I remember reading an article on this.  

I do beleive that IU needs to get more progressive.  The truth is you fall behind if you do not.  However, where can that be made?  What are others thoughts?

From a fan perspective, I would like them to change the game day experience for both football and basketball.  Northwestern provides a better one.  

Make a statement that this is a new era and add names to the Jerseys.  I know this doesnt change recruiting and/or game play....it is a statement that we are changing our thoughts and moving forward.  Fred's branding of no names just doesnt make sense to me.  Sorry, just doesn't.  It has not improved play in 19-30 years.  Yes, we havent been to a final four in over 17 years.

Get hyped for mid night madness-  Kelvin Sampson is the only coach that made this a night.  Crean tried, but it always seemed last minute. We get 11,000 plus give it more hype.  If old school Izzo (joking about old school) could come out in dress up stuff and bikes, we can make ours more exciting.  Tap into the amazing music school.

Hire a PR team that contols Millers and Allens twitter site and everything else.  We are way behind the times in this area.  Have someone manage appearances, community work, etc.  I know its there but the game needs to be increased.

I actually have enjoyed listening to Archie in press conferences this year.  He is honest, insightful and he typed lipped.  You can tell he can contol himself while waiting to get back in that lockerroom and work with the kids.  Much different than Crean days where he tried so hard to make others think he is an expert (which he is and forgot more than we know).  

Get former players more involved somehow some way.  They are our best advocates and could help restore faith.

Oh, start winning games again!!!!  

31 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

This was a great podcast and good insight.

IU might not of been paying for games - however, let me ask did that have a negative effect?  Is there examples?  

IU under Crean had one of the largest recruiting budgets in the county.  Crean used every penny.  I remember reading an article on this.  

I do beleive that IU needs to get more progressive.  The truth is you fall behind if you do not.  However, where can that be made?  What are others thoughts?

From a fan perspective, I would like them to change the game day experience for both football and basketball.  Northwestern provides a better one.  

Make a statement that this is a new era and add names to the Jerseys.  I know this doesnt change recruiting and/or game play....it is a statement that we are changing our thoughts and moving forward.  Fred's branding of no names just doesnt make sense to me.  Sorry, just doesn't.  It has not improved play in 19-30 years.  Yes, we havent been to a final four in over 17 years.

Get hyped for mid night madness-  Kelvin Sampson is the only coach that made this a night.  Crean tried, but it always seemed last minute. We get 11,000 plus give it more hype.  If old school Izzo (joking about old school) could come out in dress up stuff and bikes, we can make ours more exciting.  Tap into the amazing music school.

Hire a PR team that contols Millers and Allens twitter site and everything else.  We are way behind the times in this area.  Have someone manage appearances, community work, etc.  I know its there but the game needs to be increased.

I actually have enjoyed listening to Archie in press conferences this year.  He is honest, insightful and he typed lipped.  You can tell he can contol himself while waiting to get back in that lockerroom and work with the kids.  Much different than Crean days where he tried so hard to make others think he is an expert (which he is and forgot more than we know).  

Get former players more involved somehow some way.  They are our best advocates and could help restore faith.

Oh, start winning games again!!!!  

While I appreciate what you're saying, I think changing just for the sake of change can be more damaging than simply embracing and enhancing our long and rich traditions.

We've made many positive steps with the new facilities and locker rooms. 

You've already admitted putting names on our jerseys is simply a statement of change without much substance. It's our tradition. That and the candy stripes define us as different. We're Indiana. The name on the front is the important one.

As far as hyping activities, almost every game I watch, the announcers cite the shows put on pregame and during time outs as the most unique and enjoyable in college basketball. As far as midnight madness, I don't mind hype, but just don't get carried away.

The ONLY thing lacking at IU right now is winning. And I believe if we have patience, we'll be rewarded there too.

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

While I appreciate what you're saying, I think changing just for the sake of change can be more damaging than simply embracing and enhancing our long and rich traditions.

We've made many positive steps with the new facilities and locker rooms. 

You've already admitted putting names on our jerseys is simply a statement of change without much substance. It's our tradition. That and the candy stripes define us as different. We're Indiana. The name on the front is the important one.

As far as hyping activities, almost every game I watch, the announcers cite the shows put on pregame and during time outs as the most unique and enjoyable in college basketball. As far as midnight madness, I don't mind hype, but just don't get carried away.

The ONLY thing lacking at IU right now is winning. And I believe if we have patience, we'll be rewarded there too.

Trust me I see both sides.  Every basketball team had a tradition of not putting names on Jerseys at one point.  Did not stop all the great programs from changing.  To me it is a silly thing that has no meaning and doesnt change performance.  It is true that we are stuck on the good old days.  I wonder what people thought when Knight changes the color to a true red?  Or addes the candy stripes because he liked the globetrotters?  

Tradition should be winning and having true student athletes who represent IU well.  Holding onto names on a jersey is silly to me.  That's my opinion  and like I said will not change winning.  I'm looking for IU to move athletics into the 21st century. 

Academics we are!  Adding an architectural school and engineering are two examples.  Who would of thought our liberal arts school would have those two programs today.

Archived