Jalen Windham Commits to Creighton

Coach Robby

1 hour ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

We only have three spots open and Brunk would take one of those.  Maybe that’s what you are saying and I misinterpreted?

Technically yes, we have 3 spots open with Brunk hopefully taking one.

With the class still fluid ( no one arrived on campus as yet for Fall classes ), many will talk about the open spots until then.  Even though Armaan and TJD are committed, like BobSaccamanno, many will talk about 5 open spots.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sometimes type too fast for my own good.  Yes, of course I meant a five man class is possible but of course two are filled already, leaving three.

Of the three, I am hoping for Brunk for one.

Then there would be two more for which we have Quinones and Watford as big hopes, along with Beverly.  Windham seems like another candidate.  Strong, 6'5, competitive, well put together.  I saw that 247 gave him an 82 score which seems way too low.

If I remember the Star article correctly it said Windham and IU talked about setting up a visit in the next couple of weeks and that he wasn't in a rush to make any decisions.  Not sure why, but I kind of wondered if IU may view him as more of a back-up plan if some other things don't pan out.  He could me more of a late domino to fall.  

1 hour ago, TargaFlorio said:

If I remember the Star article correctly it said Windham and IU talked about setting up a visit in the next couple of weeks and that he wasn't in a rush to make any decisions.  Not sure why, but I kind of wondered if IU may view him as more of a back-up plan if some other things don't pan out.  He could me more of a late domino to fall.  

I believe this is the case. And both parties are ok with it

12 hours ago, TargaFlorio said:

Just a guess but I'm sure he isn't #1 on any list.

13 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I’m sorry but I don’t get this one. 

Don't get what? people need to stop just looking at ratings when looking at prospects.  Just look at the final four and you will see a lot of players who were not top 100 players.  TT best player who will be a lottery pick was not in the top 300 in his class.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Don't get what? people need to stop just looking at ratings when looking at prospects.  Just look at the final four and you will see a lot of players who were not top 100 players.  TT best player who will be a lottery pick was not in the top 300 in his class.

And those guys are not the norm.  For every one of those we have had a Tijan Jobe and Tim Priller.  In addition people here keep saying that we need shooters.  I’m not overly impressed with a player who shot 36% from three during his senior year.  For me, I don’t look at ratings but I do look at who else is offering an athlete.

6 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

And those guys are not the norm.  For every one of those we have had a Tijan Jobe and Tim Priller.  In addition people here keep saying that we need shooters.  I’m not overly impressed with a player who shot 36% from three during his senior year.  For me, I don’t look at ratings but I do look at who else is offering an athlete.

Well that does not always mean anything as well.  Like I said before let the coach do his job and stop second guessing everything he does.  He knows a lot more about these prospects than we do so let him ring in who he thinks will help us compete.  Clark who started for UVA was also not in the top 300 of his class so that is two starters in the championship game.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well that does not always mean anything as well.  Like I said before let the coach do his job and stop second guessing everything he does.  He knows a lot more about these prospects than we do so let him ring in who he thinks will help us compete.  Clark who started for UVA was also not in the top 300 of his class so that is two starters in the championship game.

I haven’t second guessed anything Archie has done.  As of now I don’t believe IU has offered this young man.  I guess I am questioning why other fans feel so strongly about JW.

Just now, thirdgenhoosier said:

I haven’t second guessed anything Archie has done.  As of now I don’t believe IU has offered this young man.  I guess I am questioning why other fans feel so strongly about JW.

I can take it or leave it but he sounds like a player who plays hard with a lot of energy.  Sounds like he has moved up the rankings lately after a good senior year.

39 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I’m sorry but I don’t get this one. 

I don’t either...it’s not like we have to use all 13 scholarships...there are some great kids in the coming classes we could use it on. Last thing I want is to miss out on a kid because we don’t have enough scholarships because we threw away one on someone that shouldn’t be on the team to begin with. Everyone acts like the Luke Brown kid isn’t quite big stuff...well I’d rather throw a scholarship at a kid that can hit free throws and threes and contribute even a little than one that really can’t contribute at all. Don’t get me wrong not bagging on the kid but if he isn’t special at something I’m not sure we can’t find some guys that at least do things this team lacks...like shoot...or block shots and defend....Archie made these schollys count...what would they say to a guy like Leal who we’ve been denying one if we hand one out to a good but not special player? I’d rather save it for Leal or Galloway or someone next year that is borderline than hand it out like participation badge.

38 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t either...it’s not like we have to use all 13 scholarships...there are some great kids in the coming classes we could use it on. Last thing I want is to miss out on a kid because we don’t have enough scholarships because we threw away one on someone that shouldn’t be on the team to begin with. Everyone acts like the Luke Brown kid isn’t quite big stuff...well I’d rather throw a scholarship at a kid that can hit free throws and threes and contribute even a little than one that really can’t contribute at all. Don’t get me wrong not bagging on the kid but if he isn’t special at something I’m not sure we can’t find some guys that at least do things this team lacks...like shoot...or block shots and defend....Archie made these schollys count...what would they say to a guy like Leal who we’ve been denying one if we hand one out to a good but not special player? I’d rather save it for Leal or Galloway or someone next year that is borderline than hand it out like participation badge.

Did you read the AAU stats I posted? 

1 hour ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Did you read the aau stats I posted? There are kids from IN HS overlooked all the time by college coaches because they don't understand how good the teams are here. He avged 18p a game in quite possibly best HS basketball conference in the country. Then.. his team beat 3 more of them on the way to the state championship. Then.. he had 22p in the state finals. 

Again.. show me on a consistent basis that the  "150th" best player is better than the "350th" best player.  

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Did you read the aau stats I posted? There are kids from IN HS overlooked all the time by college coaches because they don't understand how good the teams are here. He avged 18p a game in quite possibly best HS basketball conference in the country. Then.. his team beat 3 more of them on the way to the state championship. Then.. he had 22p in the state finals. 

Again.. show me on a consistent basis that the  "150th" best player is better than the "350th" best player.  

I am always amused that people take journalist's rankings as gospel. I would take a coach's opinion about a player above a scout's opinion any day. It's not just the number, it's the person designating the number. Personally, I have more confidence in a coach willing to consider a player despite a ranking. It suggests a degree of confidence (ok, or desperation in some cases that we are too familiar with). Obviously, you take a "30" above player 120, but you don't take it as given that player "120" is really 120.

I saw an interview with Beilein in which he stated he is never sure a player can play defense in his system until he talks to the player to determine how smart the player is.

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I agree on the quality of the conference and the young man certainly had a great year. However, I can tell you that it appears the only in state college to offer him is IUPUI.  I have to believe that college coaches at Ball St, Butler, Indiana St, Evansville, Valpo, and the rest know how good Indiana hs hoops is and they haven’t offered either.

7 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

I am always amused that people take journalist's rankings as gospel. I would take a coach's opinion about a player above a scout's opinion any day. It's not just the number, it's the person designating the number. Personally, I have more confidence in a coach willing to consider a player despite a ranking. It suggests a degree of confidence (ok, or desperation in some cases that we are too familiar with). Obviously, you take a "30" above player 120, but you don't take it as given that player "120" is really 120.

I saw an interview with Beilein in which he stated he is never sure a player can play defense in his system until he talks to the player to determine how smart the player is.

Good post.

5 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I agree on the quality of the conference and the young man certainly had a great year. However, I can tell you that it appears the only in state college to offer him is IUPUI.  I have to believe that college coaches at Ball St, Butler, Indiana St, Evansville, Valpo, and the rest know how good Indiana hs hoops is and they haven’t offered either.

Do you know if he told them he wasn't interested? Ga St is better currently then all those teams you mentioned besides Butler btw. 

Archived