Jalen Windham Commits to Creighton

Coach Robby

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I agree on the quality of the conference and the young man certainly had a great year. However, I can tell you that it appears the only in state college to offer him is IUPUI.  I have to believe that college coaches at Ball St, Butler, Indiana St, Evansville, Valpo, and the rest know how good Indiana hs hoops is and they haven’t offered either.

Screenshot_20190407-222423_Chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Nope.  Just posing an alternative.  In the end I’ll trust our coach.  

When I watched him play this year, I assumed he was a 4 star kid. I looked him up and the rankings did not match what I witnessed. I thought he was better than previous IU recruits like Ron Patterson and Jeremy Hollowell, both top 100 recruits. To be honest I didn’t think those 2 were close to Windham. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

When I watched him play this year, I assumed he was a 4 star kid. I looked him up and the rankings did not match what I witnessed. I thought he was better than previous IU recruits like Ron Patterson and Jeremy Hollowell, both top 100 recruits. To be honest I didn’t think those 2 were close to Windham. 

Helpful...thanks.

21 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

I am always amused that people take journalist's rankings as gospel. I would take a coach's opinion about a player above a scout's opinion any day. It's not just the number, it's the person designating the number. Personally, I have more confidence in a coach willing to consider a player despite a ranking. 

I agree about valuing the opinion of coaches which is why I am a little “wary” because of all the coaches that evaluate talent only 3 MAC schools, IUPUI and Georgia State offered him. Now that he is available Kent State, Middle Tennessee State and Tulane are after him. Maybe we see something no other basketball school sees. Playing hard, really wanting to be a Hoosier etc are things we need. If so, great, bring him on but I do think the lack of offers is a legitimate reason to wonder. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Don't get what? people need to stop just looking at ratings when looking at prospects.  Just look at the final four and you will see a lot of players who were not top 100 players.  TT best player who will be a lottery pick was not in the top 300 in his class.

I’ll beat the dead horse one more time.

Yes, Culver was not highly ranked, has overachieved and is a projected lottery pick.  He is a hometown Lubbock Texas guy but in addition to TT was offered by Texas, TCU, Baylor, Lamar, Oklahoma State, Illinois and 7 other (mostly smaller) schools.  He certainly has turned out better than the “recruiting experts” projected but also had local offers from Texas, Baylor, TT and TCU as opposed to IUPUI. Just seems Iike a stretch but if he fills a need.......

Windham has been a key contributor on a championship caliber team since his sophomore year.  This years team was considered deep but with little varsity experience besides Windham and Jones (the big guy).  The coach said he expected Windham to command a double team this year.  I don't really care about the lack of offers, there should be room on a roster for an Indiana kid with that much winning experience against good competition.  The entire roster doesn't have to be ranked.  If the coaching staff thinks enough of him then I'm all for it.

Doesn’t he seem to be the classic kid who’d go someplace else and everybody would be up in arms because he’s winning NCAA tourney games and our staff couldn’t identify talent?  Desmond Bane is recent but these types of guys always exist. 

Players blossom at different times and paces.  Some guys blossom even into college and beyond.   Windham seemed to come on this year.  

Take a look at Aaron Henry’s historical rankings.  He was in the 200s and 300s and got better and settled around 150.  In reality he’s probably a top 25-50 recruit.  

I have railed against being too married to rankings.  The cocky athlete ranked 70 who has his mind in the clouds will get his rear end handed to him by the tougher kid who’s a real basketball player — ranked 150 or whatever —and not just a ranked athlete.

The spring of the senior class, you can often find guys who can be recognized as under-recruited.  Here, Windhsm happens to be free. 

7 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Doesn’t he seem to be the classic kid who’d go someplace else and everybody would be up in arms because he’s winning NCAA tourney games and our staff couldn’t identify talent?  Desmond Bane is recent but these types of guys always exist. 

Players blossom at different times and paces.  Some guys blossom even into college and beyond.   Windham seemed to come on this year.  

Take a look at Aaron Henry’s historical rankings.  He was in the 200s and 300s and got better and settled around 150.  In reality he’s probably a top 25-50 recruit.  

I have railed against being too married to rankings.  The cocky athlete ranked 70 who has his mind in the clouds will get his rear end handed to him by the tougher kid who’s a real basketball player — ranked 150 or whatever —and not just a ranked athlete.

The spring of the senior class, you can often find guys who can be recognized as under-recruited.  Here, Windhsm happens to be free. 

I love this first sentence, because it's absolutely true. A few here say they don't want one and dones... But they don't want the 2 and 3 star kids that the staff is looking at. If this kid is a solid athlete to the point where he can hold his own defensively, bring him on board. If he's got the basketball IQ and athleticism, bring him on board.

Also, I will add, that I think we'll be saying this about Alex Hemenway. I think we'll watch Clemson play in a few years and wonder why we didn't bring him on board.

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Awesome!!!! Yep they're busts everywhere in recruiting, not just players rated in the 300s!!! 

Grant also didnt play in the mic and take his team to two state championships 🤷‍♂️

Edited 4 minutes ago by btownqb

Haha, thanks for taking it the right way.  I was just having fun.

I hope Jalen has a terrific career.  At IU, if that's the way it turns out.  He seems like a hard worker with upside. 

10 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Haha, thanks for taking it the right way.  I was just having fun.

I hope Jalen has a terrific career.  At IU, if that's the way it turns out.  He seems like a hard worker with upside. 

Agree. I just dont think people should be negative towards us giving him a look is all. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Agree. I just dont think people should be negative towards us giving him a look is all. 

I also don't think every recruit has to be a 4 or 5 star player and mixing in a couple of 3 star in state players is not a bad thing.  If all you bring in is high rated recruits you will have some unhappy players and that can cause problems in the locker room.  You need to have players who will know their role and play to that role.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I also don't think every recruit has to be a 4 or 5 star player and mixing in a couple of 3 star in state players is not a bad thing.  If all you bring in is high rated recruits you will have some unhappy players and that can cause problems in the locker room.  You need to have players who will know their role and play to that role.

Not to mention if it’s a kid that WANTS to be at IU he’s going to bust his but to try and get on the court. Like the Rudy factor. That’s going to push everyone to go a little harder. Or it theoretically should. 

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But we are a Blue Blood and should only go after top 100 kids with 40 plus inch verticals. The hell with fundamentals such as shooting, ball handling and that kind of stuff.  Just give me the top 3 rated kids in America and we can win, oh wait thats Duke and they won the Title this year right? 

Just give me the guys that want to be here and will do what is asked of them, if from Indiana thats a plus in my book. 

I’m just a little slow to get excited when there are guys out there in 2020 and 2021 that we might not have room for that have skill sets that would also really compliment the team. We already have a team that plays hard on defense and hard nosed...the team lacks shooting and play making...if that is this kids strength than ok....but otherwise save the scholly imo.

I also agree that you can find diamonds in the rough that are 2-3 stars and I think the staff has to be willing to go after those. I follow college recruiting including football and Bama (I hate them) doesn’t always sign 4-5 star prospects. In nearly every class there are guys their fans scratch their heads at. However over years the boom bust ratio for those recruits are the same as the five stars they sign. So clearly the staff know how to evaluate.

now what I’m NOT ok with is throwing crap against the wall and “hoping” it sticks. That’s what I felt Crean did with big me. But particularly centers. If you do that enough then you lose the co fidence of your fan base that you know what you’re doing. Crean didn’t assemble good rosters for consistent success and he couldn’t land diamonds in the rough as much as people act like he could, particularly at center. Everyone always points to Vic, and I get that and Crean gets all the credit for finding him. But outside of that he doesn’t have a great history overall of finding diamonds in the rough.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m just a little slow to get excited when there are guys out there in 2020 and 2021 that we might not have room for that have skill sets that would also really compliment the team. We already have a team that plays hard on defense and hard nosed...the team lacks shooting and play making...if that is this kids strength than ok....but otherwise save the scholly imo.

I really have not seen us on that many 2020 class and it is a weak class in state so I would not get real excited for that class.

Archived