Jalen Windham Commits to Creighton

Coach Robby

I watched him against Center Grove in the semi-state and looked at some video on YouTube. I like his shooting form and quick release. Seems to have good court vision. 

Medium build. Makes me wonder what a year with a college strength trainer and coaching might yield. Only real negative I saw was lack of an off hand, both shooting and dribbling.

But the kid seems to be a winner, and you really can't teach that...

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I also agree that you can find diamonds in the rough that are 2-3 stars and I think the staff has to be willing to go after those. I follow college recruiting including football and Bama (I hate them) doesn’t always sign 4-5 star prospects. In nearly every class there are guys their fans scratch their heads at. However over years the boom bust ratio for those recruits are the same as the five stars they sign. So clearly the staff know how to evaluate.

now what I’m NOT ok with is throwing crap against the wall and “hoping” it sticks. That’s what I felt Crean did with big me. But particularly centers. If you do that enough then you lose the co fidence of your fan base that you know what you’re doing. Crean didn’t assemble good rosters for consistent success and he couldn’t land diamonds in the rough as much as people act like he could, particularly at center. Everyone always points to Vic, and I get that and Crean gets all the credit for finding him. But outside of that he doesn’t have a great history overall of finding diamonds in the rough.

Vic, Sheehey, OG.  Durham may not be a diamond, but he's at least a chunk of silver at this point. 

Crean's big issues were catching a run of the ideal high 4* kids who weren't good fits (Hanner, Hollowell, Robinson, Fischer) or having classes highlighted by a huge marquee name (Zeller, Blackmon) and not a whole lot more in that class.

Nobody is saying they want a roster full of 3 star players like Windham but if he is the 4th player in a class of 4 that would be a good class.  I would like our top 8 players be ranked between 15-75 because those players will normally stick around for awhile like they do at UNC.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I really have not seen us on that many 2020 class and it is a weak class in state so I would not get real excited for that class.

It might be weak in the state but we are on some good kids. Morton and Love, and Loveday...and that isn't to say anything about Leal whom everyone really wants us to take. All I'm saying is I'm ok with pocketing the scholarship....save it for next year when we might only have 2 available or the following year when there are are a ton of good recruits we are on in the 21 class. Furst, Landers, maybe Kaufman...wouldn't we like to have it to offer one of those kids instead of taking the chance on Jalen....maybe...or maybe this kid is the real deal...I could be wrong.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It might be weak in the state but we are on some good kids. Morton and Love, and Loveday...and that isn't to say anything about Leal whom everyone really wants us to take. All I'm saying is I'm ok with pocketing the scholarship....save it for next year when we might only have 2 available or the following year when there are are a ton of good recruits we are on in the 21 class. Furst, Landers, maybe Kaufman...wouldn't we like to have it to offer one of those kids instead of taking the chance on Jalen....maybe...or maybe this kid is the real deal...I could be wrong.

I have just seen highlights but I would take Windham over Leal.  Also we will have at least two scholarships next year with Davis and Green  and if we bring in a grad transfer that would be 3 being seniors for the 2020 class.  Ror the 2021 class we will have Durham and Smith leaving and Brunk if he comes here so that is 3 scholarships. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have just seen highlights but I would take Windham over Leal.  Also we will have at least two scholarships next year with Davis and Green  and if we bring in a grad transfer that would be 3 being seniors for the 2020 class.  Ror the 2021 class we will have Durham and Smith leaving and Brunk if he comes here so that is 3 scholarships. 

Ok...I'll take your word...just been hearing how good Leal has been all year. Personally...I'd rather bank scholarships to have flexibility between classes.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Ok...I'll take your word...just been hearing how good Leal has been all year. Personally...I'd rather bank scholarships to have flexibility between classes.

To me even if we take Windham there will still be plenty of scholarships for those two classes.  When Leal only scored 5 points against CG in the regional that kind of put a red flap up to me on whether or not he is capable of playing at this level.

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

Did anyone see Texas Techs best 6 players high school rankings?  3–2 stars, 2–3 stars and one not even ranked.  I don’t give a rats you know what if they are ranked 800 or 1st.  We need winners and tough guys

All the credit in the world for Beard getting to the title game.  I said this in another thread, but I'd bet that this is by far the exception, not the rule.  In '16, Nova/UNC started a total of 8 4* and 2 5* players.  One freshman among the 10, and 0 OADs.

32 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Vic, Sheehey, OG.  Durham may not be a diamond, but he's at least a chunk of silver at this point. 

Crean's big issues were catching a run of the ideal high 4* kids who weren't good fits (Hanner, Hollowell, Robinson, Fischer) or having classes highlighted by a huge marquee name (Zeller, Blackmon) and not a whole lot more in that class.

Good call on Sheehey but I thought OG was a four star. Anyway I don’t want to split hairs just simply stating that whether it’s 4-5 stars we are recruiting or 2-3, I don’t want to pigeon hole our coach into either group really, but whatever the formula is that he’s gonna use he needs to find the pieces and fit them together and win. I’m really actually good with anyone he likes and wants. But I will admit, sign too many 2-3 stars and most suck and people are gonna grumble when they see the next 2 star no name.

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

Good call on Sheehey but I thought OG was a four star. Anyway I don’t want to split hairs just simply stating that whether it’s 4-5 stars we are recruiting or 2-3, I don’t want to pigeon hole our coach into either group really, but whatever the formula is that he’s gonna use he needs to find the pieces and fit them together and win. I’m really actually good with anyone he likes and wants. But I will admit, sign too many 2-3 stars and most suck and people are gonna grumble when they see the next 2 star no name.

OG had dropped off of most everyone's radar due to an injury.  He was actually ranked 200+ in his class.  Morgan was a borderline 3/4 star. 

All I know is we have energy guys like Thompson and Smith and Al and likely Brunk it seems. We need skilled players...I'd only classify Rob, Green, and Hunter in that category as of right now...and Green will be leaving. If this kid is skilled...ok...again I would think he would be a little more highly offered considering who he has been playing against if he was...he would have had plenty of eyes on him. If he is just a hard nosed, high energy kid, but not highly skilled to get his own shot or for others...I'd pass. There have to be better opportunities for this team down the road...maybe not from Indiana but there are 49 other states too. Good luck to Jalen wherever he lands!

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

All I know is we have energy guys like Thompson and Smith and Al and likely Brunk it seems. We need skilled players...I'd only classify Rob, Green, and Hunter in that category as of right now...and Green will be leaving. If this kid is skilled...ok...again I would think he would be a little more highly offered considering who he has been playing against if he was...he would have had plenty of eyes on him. If he is just a hard nosed, high energy kid, but not highly skilled to get his own shot or for others...I'd pass. There have to be better opportunities for this team down the road...maybe not from Indiana but there are 49 other states too. Good luck to Jalen wherever he lands!

I hope you are joking saying Smith is a high energy guy because that is so far from reality.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I hope you are joking saying Smith is a high energy guy because that is so far from reality.

He isn't a skill guy....but when he is engaged he brings defense and energy yes....problem has been keeping him focused. There was a time this year he was by far our best defender...if he stays I would put him in the effort camp...because he is definitely not in the skilled one.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He isn't a skill guy....but when he is engaged he brings defense and energy yes....problem has been keeping him focused. There was a time this year he was by far our best defender...if he stays I would put him in the effort camp...because he is definitely not in the skilled one.

No, all Smith is a skill guy with his athletic ability but he does not play hard most of the time and does not have great basketball IQ.

17 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Don’t know if already posted, but looked at Windham’s stats for Indy Heat. 3rd leading scorer after TJD and some guy from Fort Wayne. 

He was 46% from 3 (31-67) and 19-20 from FT line. Dude can shoot. 

By comparison, guy from FW was 35% from 3 and 67% FTs

I'd be happy to see him in Candy Stripes. He's already got pretty good skill set, and I think we're in dire needs for a kid like him. When a guy like Goins can become a solid contributor as upper classman at MSU, Windham can be much better than him in his junior and senior seasons. 

2 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I'd be happy to see him in Candy Stripes. He's already got pretty good skill set, and I think we're in dire needs for a kid like him. When a guy like Goins can become a solid contributor as upper classman at MSU, Windham can be much better than him in his junior and senior seasons. 

Plus you can’t have enough FT shooters on the floor late with a lead

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

All the credit in the world for Beard getting to the title game.  I said this in another thread, but I'd bet that this is by far the exception, not the rule.  In '16, Nova/UNC started a total of 8 4* and 2 5* players.  One freshman among the 10, and 0 OADs.

I know it’s the exception but it’s still a pretty cool thing to see.  It’s just as much about chemistry as it is talent.

Not a similar player but some similarities...

Ryan Cline-3 Star. 159th rated player in his class 

Played for a big time program in Indianapolis area

Only 1 college offer

Played 4 years at Purdue. First 3 averaged 3.9, 5.4 and 4.0 ppg. 12.0 his senior year.

Bring in an Indiana kid. Don’t expect a lot from him early on. Let him grow and mature and help the team get old.

Just text one of my best friends about Windham (assistant coach at Center Grove) and he's a former college basketball player as well. Started 4 years at the D3 level. 

He said: he can absolutely stroke it (everyone's game plan in the MIC was not to give him open looks), as good of 1 on 1 offensive player as he's seen, can get to the line (only missed one FT against them in 2 games this season)... also said he seems like a good kid and he and Trayce are VERY close. 

31 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not a similar player but some similarities...

Ryan Cline-3 Star. 159th rated player in his class 

Played for a big time program in Indianapolis area

Only 1 college offer

Played 4 years at Purdue. First 3 averaged 3.9, 5.4 and 4.0 ppg. 12.0 his senior year.

Bring in an Indiana kid. Don’t expect a lot from him early on. Let him grow and mature and help the team get old.

I've never seen the kid play, but if he can hold his own defensively, he'd see playing time very quickly. And I agree, no need to throw a lot on him.

I think the question mark would be whether he is quick enough to play D. 

Archived