2019 coaching changes

rico

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Both of these are confusing.  Vanderbilt does what they are doing to Drew, steps down on a hire.  Hunter takes a lateral job in a terrible city.  

Lateral job?  NSF my friend.  Tulane is in the AAC.

20 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

???  If I had to buy sell or hold, I'd sell JT3 and hold Drew.  Drew' s 44, 3's 53.  I'd be willing to bet Drew is in the tourney in the next 5 years at any school before JT3 gets Vandy in.  

I don’t know, it’s not like 53 is old in coaching. While he struggled towards the end at Georgetown, there’s no question JT3 has the better resume. 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

???  If I had to buy sell or hold, I'd sell JT3 and hold Drew.  Drew' s 44, 3's 53.  I'd be willing to bet Drew is in the tourney in the next 5 years at any school before JT3 gets Vandy in.  

Thompson is a proven commodity in a power conference.

Tulane may be in the AAC, but they just finished a 4-27 year. They play in a part of the country where football reigns supreme and where the best basketball players are going to an SEC school first. The game I watched, they took Witchita State down to the wire, but it looked like they played in a glorified high school gym.

Good luck to Hunter, who I really like, but I agree that he could have done better 

59 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Same question I had.  I think JTIII would be a decent hire for Vandy. 

And he comes with experience from more academic focused universities, having coached Princeton and Georgetown. Kind of really fits the bill for a school like Vandy. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

And he comes with experience from more academic focused universities, having coached Princeton and Georgetown. Kind of really fits the bill for a school like Vandy. 

Exactly what I was thinking...

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know, it’s not like 53 is old in coaching. While he struggled towards the end at Georgetown, there’s no question JT3 has the better resume. 

He's likely an OK hire for Vanderbilt, but based on the latter years at Georgetown,  it's likewise hard to see him as a homerun upgrade. Seems they were in a huge hurry to get a mediocre coach.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

He's likely an OK hire for Vanderbilt, but based on the latter years at Georgetown,  it's likewise hard to see him as a homerun upgrade. Seems they were in a huge hurry to get a mediocre coach.

I think for Vanderbilt it’s a really good hire. Is he a great hire for a top tier Power 5 school? No. But that’s not Vandy. Vandy is an academic institution with not much of a basketball history. They’re getting a guy who has won 3 Big East Titles and been to a Final Four. Homerun, probably not, but really good fit, probably. 

Based purely on resume it’s an upgrade. 

Archived