2019 coaching changes

rico

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether you think he is a good coach or not, could Shaka be on the UCLA radar if they don't land Dixon.   Shaka checks a lot of boxes on the pro side of being a good coach.  His defense and recruiting are above average and usually really good.     His half court offense is the only negative that I've seen from his days in austin.  UT has been pretty mediocre in his 4 years except for year 1 when Taylor was the PG.  Still they lost in Round 1 of NCAA.   I think he'll be back next year at Texas unless they already have something place for big name replacement kind of like they did with Tom Herman. They probably would prefer not to pay any buyouts.   

To little to late but the team looks like they have gelled and looks to be poised to be very solid next year. Could it be that it just took him all of 4 years to get his culture to set in at UT.  If he wants to move on, i don't think UT would oppose it and might prefer it.   I think with his success at VCU that VT could draw interest also.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/basketball/2019/4/1/18291446/shaka-smart-candidate-ucla-bruins-basketball-head-coach-job-texas-longhorns

https://www.hookem.com/2019/04/03/texas-shaka-smart-downplays-ucla-bruins-reportedly-focus-tcus-jamie-dixon/

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Interesting story.  I believe it's because of recruiting that Stevens left the college game and is unlikely to return.  I can't blame him.

Stevens has stated that recruiting was not one of his favorite activities. I can’t blame him as I would hate for my job to depend on wether or not 17 year olds decide to play for me, hear complaints  that a kid thinks he is not being shown “enough love” etc., etc.

I would think if he wants Texas, he would hold out a bit longer.  Kind of same for IU.  I guess maybe he is ready for the move up to a power conference.  

Arkansas is a better job than Alabama.  Good basketball school, IMO.   I remember during sutton and more in the Richardson era that Reunion arena in Dallas became known as Barnhill South. Arkansas can establish a good recruiting pipeline to Memphis and Dallas, I'd think.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I never thought I'd say this but they would've been better off with Alford.  Terrible hire.

He's an absolute unknown to me.  6-year contract is a big risk so for their sake, I hope the buyouts are smaller than usual.

1 hour ago, HoosierJax said:

Jerry Stackhouse to be Vanderbilt head coach,6 year deal...Penny has started a trend

This whole thing with the AD & Stackhouse from the G league seems like a very odd fit at Vandy. Feels like a UNLV thing to do. 

Vandy is searching for a new Chancellor. Vandy  cares more about its academic image than any other SEC school. Athletics will always be second. It shows in their facilities. How will the new boss mesh with the new G league crew?

It seems to me the Vandy basketball program has completely lost its way. I thought the Drew hire was a decent hire, but Drew's huge mistake was attempting to turn Vandy into a one and done factory. Vandy just isn't set up to be that and would never be able to sustain that. It was a big mistake by Drew and ultimately cost him his job. 

Now the new AD hires Stackhouse, who I've actually heard great things about, but is he really a fit for Vandy? Is he going to try and follow the Penny recruiting model? Vandy is a school who could and has at times, thrived as a program by recruiting under-the-radar, 4-year guys that develop, play hard and play smart. That's the type of school and program they have. The one and done model will never work at Vandy. 

7 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Stackhouse had a AAU .org and coached like Penny.  Wonder if he has recruits to tap into quickly.  Seems like if that’s the case he might take the same model as Drew but won’t know until he gets going.

You also have to think Stackhouse picked up a few things from Dean.......

39 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Stackhouse had a AAU .org and coached like Penny.  Wonder if he has recruits to tap into quickly.  Seems like if that’s the case he might take the same model as Drew but won’t know until he gets going.

Unless Vandy drastically changes its academic requirements he won’t be able to recruit like Memphis 

Regarding Stackhouse, if you follow NBA coaching hires, his name was pretty hot for openings there.  He seems to be well regarding in coaching circles.

I agree with BGleas, though.  At a top academic school like Vandy, there is a certain approach that has worked over time at those types of schools.  Stackhouse seems like out of left field.

On 4/4/2019 at 11:28 AM, IU Scott said:

Going to Arkansas doesn't make since to me for Marshall.  If he did not go to Alabama or not listen to IU then why go to Arkansas.

I'd take Arkansas over Bama.  Arkansas has won a title and had some other good periods, such as when they had Sidney Moncrief.

Archived