2019 coaching changes

rico

36 minutes ago, Chad B said:

A decent hire, but surprised they could not do better.  Rather have Archie than Mick, but relatively comparable.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ucla-coaching-search-ends-with-mick-cronin-leaving-cincinnati-to-take-over-bruins/

Interesting history for Cronin. Took over a winning program from Huggins/Anthony Kennedy and went 24-38 his first two years. 

Was 61-68 his first 4 years with one NIT appearance. Highest conference finish was 9th. A lot of coaches wouldn’t have gotten year 5.

Curious cultural move to Westwood. Cronin is Cinci through and through. Born and raised there. Played HS ball for his Dad. UC grad. 

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Interesting history for Cronin. Took over a winning program from Huggins/Anthony Kennedy and went 24-38 his first two years. 

Was 61-68 his first 4 years with one NIT appearance. Highest conference finish was 9th. A lot of coaches wouldn’t have gotten year 5.

Curious cultural move to Westwood. Cronin is Cinci through and through. Born and raised there. Played HS ball for his Dad. UC grad. 

Check the rosters from 2005-06 to 2006-07.  There were only 3 or 4 players in total that stayed from Kennedy's year to Cronin's first year.  Wasn't quite a Crean-level rebuild, but close. 

Edit: Also, keep in mind, Huggins' "resignation" was about 2 months before the season started, and Kennedy never had the "interim" tag removed.  That's basically an entire year of 0 recruiting, plus the typical levels of transfers that come with a coaching change.

9 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Check the rosters from 2005-06 to 2006-07.  There were only 3 or 4 players in total that stayed from Kennedy's year to Cronin's first year.  Wasn't quite a Crean-level rebuild, but close. 

Edit: Also, keep in mind, Huggins' "resignation" was about 2 months before the season started, and Kennedy never had the "interim" tag removed.  That's basically an entire year of 0 recruiting, plus the typical levels of transfers that come with a coaching change.

I get it. Not saying there wasn’t a reason that his first team finished 16th in the conference. 

CAM took over a team that was 18-16, 7-11 in B1G (10th), and lost 41 points from 3 players who left to play pro. Recruiting was in steep decline. 

Yet in year 1 he went 16-15, 9-9 in B1G (6th). Doesn’t get near enough credit for keeping this program from free falling again. 

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I get it. Not saying there wasn’t a reason that his first team finished 16th in the conference. 

CAM took over a team that was 18-16, 7-11 in B1G (10th), and lost 41 points from 3 players who left to play pro. Recruiting was in steep decline. 

Yet in year 1 he went 16-15, 9-9 in B1G (6th). Doesn’t get near enough credit for keeping this program from free falling again. 

But, he still had 4 contributing seniors, two solid juniors in Morgan and McRoberts and several underclassmen.  The roster was at least serviceable, and those are the results we've seen so far. 

3 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

Cronin will bring in a bunch of West coast thugs and do well in Pac 12, which is the weakest league in Power 5. I think it's a decent hire. 

stupid comment.

Here in Cincinnati the fanbase had been growing tired of teams woefully underachieving in the tournament. But he brings toughness and discipline, that's forsure. Several of my diehard UC friends are ecstatic he's moving on

20 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Not on UCLA’s side. This is a mediocre hire and he will he gone in 4-5 years. Pearl was there for the taking. 

Maybe UCLA didn't want Pearl, maybe Pearl wasn't interested in UCLA.  Sampson was there for the taking, why not him?  Mick will win at UCLA, now let's see how long he keeps his job there.

24 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Not on UCLA’s side. This is a mediocre hire and he will he gone in 4-5 years. Pearl was there for the taking. 

Didn't Pearl just get an expensive extension?  He might have been too pricey for them.

Not a home run, but I expect he's a solid improvement over Alford.

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Didn't Pearl just get an expensive extension?  He might have been too pricey for them.

Not a home run, but I expect he's a solid improvement over Alford.

Pearl was also coaching a team until Saturday.  He saw the debacle that was the UCLA coaching search.

2 hours ago, HoagieRoll said:

stupid comment.

Here in Cincinnati the fanbase had been growing tired of teams woefully underachieving in the tournament. But he brings toughness and discipline, that's forsure. Several of my diehard UC friends are ecstatic he's moving on

And who do they see UC hiring??

UCLA is different than maybe any other job. If a guy can coach, like X’s and O’s Coach and motivate, that’s really all you need. UCLA is the one school that mainly due to location, some lack of competition and the history almost completely recruits itself. Even UK doesn’t recruit itself. But UCLA’s recruiting doesn’t change much with the coach, the coach just has to be able to coach. 

4 hours ago, HoagieRoll said:

stupid comment.

Get lost genius. Don't ever tell me or anyone stupid. Who do you think you are?

3 hours ago, rico said:

Maybe UCLA didn't want Pearl, maybe Pearl wasn't interested in UCLA.  Sampson was there for the taking, why not him?  Mick will win at UCLA, now let's see how long he keeps his job there.

Sampson and UCLA would have made a scary combination.

53 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Get lost genius. Don't ever tell me or anyone stupid. Who do you think you are?

"Don't tell me or anyone stupid". Read that back to yourself 😂

I called your comment stupid--the one implying that he consistently recruits "thugs". Grow up, get a thicker skin and make smarter comments

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

And who do they see UC hiring??

It's not about that. The guy consistently failed to have his teams advance in the tournament. The success during the season was a tease year after year, but they'd have demoralizing close losses or blown leads every year in the NCAAT. UC has been top 3 in their conference the last 6 years, and made the tourney the last seven but have been 0/7 getting to the second weekend. Lot of people here are excited for a change. 

Just now, HoagieRoll said:

"Don't tell me or anyone stupid". Read that back to yourself 😂

I called your comment stupid--the one implying that he consistently recruits "thugs". Grow up, get a thicker skin and make smarter comments

Oh you think you're much smarter huh? Congrats! I can call any of your comments stupid if I think your opinion contradicts mine. But I don't. Why? Because I believe in mutual respect in this forum. Obviously you don't. It's not a matter of 'growing up'.

Dude, 'west coast thugs' was meant to be a joke. 

2 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Oh you think you're much smarter huh? Congrats! I can call any of your comments stupid if I think your opinion contradicts mine. But I don't. Why? Because I believe in mutual respect in this forum. Obviously you don't. It's not a matter of 'growing up'.

Dude, 'west coast thugs' was meant to be a joke. 

My goodness, this reads like it was written by a child.

Didn't see any indication that the "thugs" comment was a joke, and thus it warranted being called a stupid comment. Cronin and UC have a reputation, mostly unfounded, for recruiting "thug" players and so I thought you going after that with your [stupid] comment. Chill out my friend, you're waaaayyy too worked up. 😌

Archived