2019 coaching changes

rico

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IU Scott said:

I hope people are joking about having Christian coming as a coach since he has no coaching experience at all.

That's kind of what that DirOps position is for, IMO.  A player like Derek Elston who knows the game but doesn't necessarily know how to coach yet can learn firsthand, without taking up one of the actual assistant positions. 

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

That's kind of what that DirOps position is for, IMO.  A player like Derek Elston who knows the game but doesn't necessarily know how to coach yet can learn firsthand, without taking up one of the actual assistant positions. 

I thought you were talking about an  actual assistant position

21 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Cheney would be better for Indiana recruiting alone, hiring Watford to get his brother is short sighted at best. And where is the I want kids who want to be at Indiana thought. If we need to hire Christian just to get Trendon I would pass all day long

I think you're way off here.  I love Calbert, but the Espy-winning Wat Shot would resonate more with Indiana recruits right now.  I know nothing of Christian's ability to coach, but I have a feeling he could recruit and I love the family behind him.  I would even tell you that Christian would be an intriguing hire if Trendon went elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Maybe but my stance is if Trendon doesn’t want to come to IU unless we hire Christian then I don’t want him! Just a personal preference i guess

If that's the belief, then it's time for the joke to die.  The whole Christian-as-a-coach thing started as a joke, but if it's being presented as believable...yeah, time to put the brakes on it. 

38 minutes ago, Cutter said:

It’s about Indiana connections to recruit the state. Hiring Christian reeks of desperation 

No it reeks of playing the game. Finally. Was Kansas desperate when they hired Mario Chalmers Dad? If so the were desperate enough to go win a national title. 

Just now, Feathery said:

No it reeks of playing the game. Finally. Was Kansas desperate when they hired Mario Chalmers Dad? If so the were desperate enough to go win a national title. 

I know what you are saying if we are going to do that, I think we should just pay players like the successful programs makes about as much sense

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Kansas hired Danny Manning's dad and then 3 year slater won the championship

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If that's the belief, then it's time for the joke to die.  The whole Christian-as-a-coach thing started as a joke, but if it's being presented as believable...yeah, time to put the brakes on it. 

I'd be surprised if IU hired him either way...but I do think he'd be a personality that would interest Indiana kids, hence the words "intriguing hire".  That being said, I'd be surprised if he was hired.  Then again, I was surprised that Memphis hired Penny Hardaway.

16 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Maybe but my stance is if Trendon doesn’t want to come to IU unless we hire Christian then I don’t want him! Just a personal preference i guess

Knowing that family, I don't think for a minute they'd make that a condition.  I suspect Trendon might be more hesitant if IU hired Christian, but as has been said, that proposal was put forth in jest.  I just don't think it's as far-fetched as you'd think for a joke proposal...Christian is still a big deal with Hoosier fans.  Just guessing, those are not moves that would be blessed by IU's administration, so you could color me very surprised if they came as a package deal.

25 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I know what you are saying if we are going to do that, I think we should just pay players like the successful programs makes about as much sense

I’m not opposed to paying players, if it becomes legal. Right now you can hire a relative as an assistant and it’s legal. Play within the rules and use them to your advantage is my over arching thought. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I’m not opposed to paying players, if it becomes legal. Right now you can hire a relative as an assistant and it’s legal. Play within the rules and use them to your advantage is my over arching thought. 

Yeah probably the smart thing but I don’t always choose that path lol. I am tired of coach k cheating and getting away with it and the other coaches we know about, then hearing the tv commentators slobbering all over each other saying what great coaches they are. Also tired of some kids wanting their butts kissed all of the time. College basketball is the last sport I follow closely because of similar reasons like 300 million dollar contracts to play a game it’s sickening. 

19 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Exactly.  It wouldn't even be remotely questionable to hire a young man with his stature, character, and legacy.  The fact that his brother is a stud is icing on the cake.  We have Elston on staff, who I remember hearing stories, early in his career that he was quite the party animal.  I do believe he grew up before our eyes at IU.  There are a handful of useful jobs that are not coach positions that CWat could man.  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I want coaches who can teach the game of basketball and not just get recruiters

Reading Grace's bio, it seems he's not only a highly respected recruiter, but knows how to coach basketball as well...Bio

"David has been tremendous," Alford said. "I've been fortunate in my 23 years to not just hire people who understand basketball but who are also really good people, and that's what David is. He's a great guy and he's a tireless worker. He's always on the phone calling or texting recruits."[20]

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Was not talking about Watford at all but the assistant coach that Vandy just hired

My point is that, from our anonymous poster position, we have very little understanding of the quality of an assistant coach hire until the said coach has a chance to prove himself.  

That's true whether it is IU, Vandy, or Incarnate Word.  We simply do not know enough to pass judgement.  

Archived