2019 coaching changes

rico

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know, it’s not like 53 is old in coaching. While he struggled towards the end at Georgetown, there’s no question JT3 has the better resume. 

He does have a better resume but I use the same counter I just used with Rico,  dad's namesake coattails out of the gate before being exposed later.  

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

He does have a better resume but I use the same counter I just used with Rico,  dad's namesake coattails out of the gate before being exposed later.  

Yeah, I mean he’s not a grand slam hire. His career is a mixed back, but he took Princeton to 2 NCAA Tournaments in 4 years, and took Georgetown to 3 Big East Titles and a Final Four, when the Big East was legit. Being the son of John Thompson has certainly helped him, but he also didn’t take over for his Dad, there was a coach in between. 

But given that we’re talking about Vanderbilt, I’m not sure they can do much better and he does seem to be a really good fit given his background at academic-focused schools. 

Also, the riding his dads namesake point could be made about Drew too. He took over his Dad’s school and then rode Vandy into the ground. 

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I mean he’s not a grand slam hire. His career is a mixed back, but he took Princeton to 2 NCAA Tournaments in 4 years, and took Georgetown to 3 Big East Titles and a Final Four, when the Big East was legit. Being the son of John Thompson has certainly helped him, but he also didn’t take over for his Dad, there was a coach in between. 

But given that we’re talking about Vanderbilt, I’m not sure they can do much better and he does seem to be a really good fit given his background at academic-focused schools. 

Also, the riding his dads namesake point could be made about Drew too. He took over his Dad’s school and then rode Vandy into the ground. 

When vandys ad came out firing, literally, the first story I read made mention he was a G league exec.  Seemed like he had a homerun lined up.  JT3 is more like a single.  After 0-20 in year 3, if your hand was really forced... I guess it makes sense for the experience he has navigating academic schools but it doesn't move their needle and I still predict drew will be in the tourney at his next school before Vandy does.  

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

When vandys ad came out firing, literally, the first story I read made mention he was a G league exec.  Seemed like he had a homerun lined up.  JT3 is more like a single.  After 0-20 in year 3, if your hand was really forced... I guess it makes sense for the experience he has navigating academic schools but it doesn't move their needle and I still predict drew will be in the tourney at his next school before Vandy does.  

I said he’s a not a homerun hire, but he could be a great fit. Your OP called him a downgrade from Drew, which at least based on resumes he’s not. Who gets to the tourney first has so much more to do with it than just who the better coach is. JT3 will be taking over a dumpster fire, which was created by Drew. Drew could land in a great situation, who knows. 

51 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

You can call it however you want(no offense), but John III resume is quite impressive....I also think he is involved with USA basketball, which is a recruiting advantage.  The guy knows what he is doing.  He had his Dad and he also had Pete Carril.  Those are a couple of dang fine mentors.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

For certain. I just thought the AD might swing a little bigger with this hire...at least hold back a bit and see who became available. I suppose he hired quickly in fear that his top choices would be quickly hired at competing schools. 

It just seemed like a quick hire for a middling coach.

1 hour ago, rico said:

You can call it however you want(no offense), but John III resume is quite impressive....I also think he is involved with USA basketball, which is a recruiting advantage.  The guy knows what he is doing.  He had his Dad and he also had Pete Carril.  Those are a couple of dang fine mentors.

So why did he tail off so bad at Georgetown? 

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I can't answer that.......why did Bob Knight?

My guess is that (1)recruit quality dropped and/or (2)other coaches eventually developed superior styles of play or at least styles that were a bad matchup for Knight's motion offense. Either conclusion would not make me feel confident about hiring him at his next stop.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

My guess is that (1)recruit quality dropped and/or (2)other coaches eventually developed superior styles of play or at least styles that were a bad matchup for Knight's motion offense. Either conclusion would not make me feel confident about hiring him at his next stop.

Guessing games don't work...his record speaks for itself.  (3)  Georgetown pined for Daddy's glory days.

Knight lost interest and allowed assistants to take over recruiting. By the time he realized that he had made a mistake, too many schools had caught up to him.

I think with JT3, when several schools left the Big East, Georgetown lost some of its luster with high level recruits due to the perception that the league was not what it used to be 

I don’t get firing Drew. He had worse luck this year than we did on the injury front. He is a good young coach. That said I thought the AD would bring in an up and coming coach like Jerry Stackhouse or use his NBA connections but instead went with JTIII. Nothing wrong with John but let’s be real he wasn’t lighting it up at Georgetown at the end. Might as well bring Stallings back. Going to take a bigger splash than JTIII to swing kids to VU. Cal isn’t quaking in his boots I promise you.

38 minutes ago, rico said:

Cal fires HC Jones after 2 years.....

Ad says, "This was a difficult decision to make and comes after a deliberate and holistic review of our men's basketball program. As always, we were guided by the best interests of our student-athletes, as well as the values and objectives of Cal Athletics and our University."  

Mentions he was an assistant under Pitino.  Pitino and values are the only things that stuck out to me in the article.  

10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Ad says, "This was a difficult decision to make and comes after a deliberate and holistic review of our men's basketball program. As always, we were guided by the best interests of our student-athletes, as well as the values and objectives of Cal Athletics and our University."  

Mentions he was an assistant under Pitino.  Pitino and values are the only things that stuck out to me in the article.  

I think watching UC Irvine look so impressive and knowing UCLA will be making an upgrade AD felt pressure to pull the trigger quicker than usual.

Texas A&M will likely hire Buzz Williams. Bama's top candidates seem to be Prohm and Thad Matta. Texas would like to fire Shaka, but his buyout is around $13 million. It's rumored that both our AD and his agent are separately backchanneling to find him a new job. If he leaves, Chris Beard would be the top candidate. He's a UT alum, but Loves Texas Tech and is well compensated so it'd be a tough pull.

Archived