2019 coaching changes

rico

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Is Shaka safe with that huge buyout? I could see Texas going after Sampson

I just read that Tim Mile's buyout at Nebraska is a shade over $2.5 million.  That should help ease the pain.

As far as Texas is concerned.  I wonder if they are having second thoughts about Barnes, considering he took Texas to the NCAAT 16 out of 17 seasons, and seeing what he has done at Tennessee this year. 

Lastly... always have said that Sampson could coach.  It's a shame what he did to IU, during his time here. 

47 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Is Shaka safe with that huge buyout? I could see Texas going after Sampson

He will likely be here for another year, but nobody is excited about it (our attendance numbers plummeted this year). Sampson is off the board because our AD wouldn't want to deal with the negative PR that would come with it. If Shaka leaves this year and finds a landing spot (Cal, Vandy, etc.), then Chris Beard would be the number one target. I'm really not sure who else they'd look at.

31 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I just read that Tim Mile's buyout at Nebraska is a shade over $2.5 million.  That should help ease the pain.

As far as Texas is concerned.  I wonder if they are having second thoughts about Barnes, considering he took Texas to the NCAAT 16 out of 17 seasons, and seeing what he has done at Tennessee this year. 

Lastly... always have said that Sampson could coach.  It's a shame what he did to IU, during his time here. 

We would love to still have Barnes if he were doing as well as he is at Tennessee. He seemed to do worse at UT Austin once his recruiting classes became one-and-done heavy. The chemistry of his teams from 2009-2014 just wasn't at the same level as the previous ~10 years, and the results showed. Shaka's issue is the total lack of offensive flow and shooting. The sets he runs seriously look worse than you'd see at the middle school level, and there are way too many games with tons of bricks from beyond the arc. Also, he rarely runs havoc because he believes it wouldn't work in a major league since most teams are athletic enough to handle it. He just seems to be a poor fit, and it's telling that our former AD (Steve Patterson) hired duds in Charlie Strong and Smart. Also, the AD needs to make this next hire count because our new arena will open in ~5 years and there needs to be more interest in the program to put butts in seats. 

2 hours ago, TexasLonghorn said:

He will likely be here for another year, but nobody is excited about it (our attendance numbers plummeted this year). Sampson is off the board because our AD wouldn't want to deal with the negative PR that would come with it. If Shaka leaves this year and finds a landing spot (Cal, Vandy, etc.), then Chris Beard would be the number one target. I'm really not sure who else they'd look at.

Anyone that knows to stay away from Kelvin Samsung is ok in my book.

6 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

He'd get booed out of the building.  Not figuratively.  The full force of the collective booing would physically push him off the court and back down the hall. 

I doubt IU will be doing the pre-game lit cellphone thing if he does end up at Ark.lol 

I can almost picture the fans chanting "Take his cellphone." 

11 hours ago, TexasLonghorn said:

Thanks and I have felt Beard would be the next head coach at TEXAS. Would he leave if he gets to the final 4? I dont know his history enough to make this statement but it seems Texas would be a dream job for him. 

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thanks and I have felt Beard would be the next head coach at TEXAS. Would he leave if he gets to the final 4? I dont know his history enough to make this statement but it seems Texas would be a dream job for him. 

Well if I am Beard, I stay where I am at.

20 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Beard was an assistant at Texas Tech for 10 years.  7 of which were under one Robert Knight.  If anyone is comfortable in Lubbock, it's him. 

You got that right.  He feels right at home.

15 hours ago, TexasLonghorn said:

We would love to still have Barnes if he were doing as well as he is at Tennessee. He seemed to do worse at UT Austin once his recruiting classes became one-and-done heavy. The chemistry of his teams from 2009-2014 just wasn't at the same level as the previous ~10 years, and the results showed. Shaka's issue is the total lack of offensive flow and shooting. The sets he runs seriously look worse than you'd see at the middle school level, and there are way too many games with tons of bricks from beyond the arc. Also, he rarely runs havoc because he believes it wouldn't work in a major league since most teams are athletic enough to handle it. He just seems to be a poor fit, and it's telling that our former AD (Steve Patterson) hired duds in Charlie Strong and Smart. Also, the AD needs to make this next hire count because our new arena will open in ~5 years and there needs to be more interest in the program to put butts in seats. 

Appreciate your input.  Hoosier Sports Nation has a reputation of welcoming fans from other schools that are as informative and willing to share in a civil manner as you.

Also, I was not aware that Texas will be building a new BB home. So thanks for that tidbit.

As always,  welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation !

I will watching the Horns and the Buffs battling it out in Austin in NIT action Wednesday evening. Austin is one of my favorite towns in Texas, by the way. 

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Appreciate your input.  Hoosier Sports Nation has a reputation of welcoming fans from other schools that are as informative and willing to share in a civil manner as you.

Also, I was not aware that Texas will be building a new BB home. So thanks for that tidbit.

As always,  welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation !

I will watching the Horns and the Buffs battling it out in Austin in NIT action Wednesday evening. Austin is one of my favorite towns in Texas, by the way. 

Yeah the only reason a new arena will be built is because our medical school is expanding and needs the land on which our current home, the Erwin Center, sits.

Thanks for welcoming me, and Austin is the best city in Texas in my opinion. If only people from around the nation hadn’t realized that...

6 minutes ago, TexasLonghorn said:

Yeah the only reason a new arena will be built is because our medical school is expanding and needs the land on which our current home, the Erwin Center, sits.

Thanks for welcoming me, and Austin is the best city in Texas in my opinion. If only people from around the nation hadn’t realized that...

Amen on your last statement. Family and friends moved to the area in 90's when Austin was still Austin. Nothing like doubling a population in what 15 years?

My wife and I both have relatives in Austin and they love it.  It's on my list for retirement places someday.  No income tax doesn't hurt.

If I were a big time program, Mike White would be on my short list.  If I were UCLA, I'd make him a monster offer.  They just might do that with someone (not necessarily White).  They paid Chip Kelly.

Beard is great too and would be a nice get.  Marshall, of course, would be good.

I wonder if Steve Alford would come up for some of these second tier programs like Arkansas.

UT_Austin_Basketball_Arena_2.jpg

3 hours ago, TexasLonghorn said:

Looking like you guys eventually will have a beautiful new home for  BB.  Used to travel to Austin from Denver, often.  As we have a great family friend who at the time was the Registrar at the great  University of Texas. My wife is from Texas.

You are welcome... and hope to hear from you often going into the future.

As far as Austin being the best city in Texas.... I hear you, in terms of the rest of the nation realizing that.  I could say much the same of Denver, in terms of Colorado.

IU is a BB school... first and foremost. Unlike Texas.  However, many of us have a passion for our IU FB team as well.  In fact, one of our great members who is the father of one of our recent former QB's ,posts on our FB board  a lot.  Despite the fact that his son is no longer with IU, he is still loyal to IU, and to Hoosier Sports Nation.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

My wife and I both have relatives in Austin and they love it.  It's on my list for retirement places someday.  No income tax doesn't hurt.

If I were a big time program, Mike White would be on my short list.  If I were UCLA, I'd make him a monster offer.  They just might do that with someone (not necessarily White).  They paid Chip Kelly.

Beard is great too and would be a nice get.  Marshall, of course, would be good.

I wonder if Steve Alford would come up for some of these second tier programs like Arkansas.

I think Steve ends up in the midwest 2nd tier for sure. White will replace Coach K IMO

Archived