Wichita State Pregame Thread

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Let’s say he does, do you bring Al in off the bench and keep Green in there?

That's a really tough question, and I think it's hard to answer with the information we have, but I think I bring Green off the bench based on what I know. But I'd consider having Romeo come off the bench, too. 

Archie knows a lot more about who is coming back next year, their attitudes about coming off the bench, and exactly how healthy Romeo is. I think a conversation with all three players would be in order before making that decision. What do you think?

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

That's a really tough question, and I think it's hard to answer with the information we have, but I think I bring Green off the bench based on what I know. But I'd consider having Romeo come off the bench, too. 

Archie knows a lot more about who is coming back next year, their attitudes about coming off the bench, and exactly how healthy Romeo is. I think a conversation with all three players would be in order before making that decision. What do you think?

It’s a tough one. Assuming for the sake of discussion that Langford would be a full go, I’d be tempted to try the Phinisee, Green, Langford backcourt, it could be pretty dynamic, but it would be tough to tell the one guy (Al) that has consistently played hard and been healthy all year that he’s coming off the bench now. 

I do wonder if the Phin, Green, Langford lineup would help with the slow offensive starts. It’s a tough call. 

i'm mixed.  1st i don't think there's any way he plays.  still say it's more about the NIT and not wanting to get hurt than being hurt.  2nd i would say since he's been out, don't start him.  3rd i don't think him playing hurts our chemistry, etc. because i do not think he is a selfish player.  plus we're really still no playing smart bball anyway.  Green is scoring but terrible at passing (i think it's something he hasn't tried much) and Smith's decision making?    ugh

14 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm mixed.  1st i don't think there's any way he plays.  still say it's more about the NIT and not wanting to get hurt than being hurt.  2nd i would say since he's been out, don't start him.  3rd i don't think him playing hurts our chemistry, etc. because i do not think he is a selfish player.  plus we're really still no playing smart bball anyway.  Green is scoring but terrible at passing (i think it's something he hasn't tried much) and Smith's decision making?    ugh

Green is averaging more assists per game and per 40 minutes than Rob.

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Green is averaging more assists per game and per 40 minutes than Rob.

A) Assists are a bad stat B) He’s also averaging more Turnovers C) Turnovers are also a bad stat. D) There’s more to passing than getting assists. The pass before the assist is often more important those don’t show up on stat sheets 

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

while i must admit that this shocks me it's watching the bad passes he makes for no reason and forcing terrible shots that get me.  those stats don't really show up.  

I'm sure in the world of analytics there has to be a net stat...i.e. if you have 6 assists but 3 bad passes that result in turnovers you net +3. That's the thing about DG. If he tightens up his handles and avoids the 2-3 decisions he can be really good. Of course the only way he gets to that point is minutes in games. Hard to do this year when you have RP, Romeo, Al and him.....I don't think it's a surprise to see him flourishing with more minutes. 

Romeo's not practicing -- I see no way you go from not practicing and getting MRI's etc. to playing Tuesday. 

Green just played a double-double game and was probably the key to our last W. He's not consistent, but his last game was very good for us.

I don't see us playing well regardless.

The decision-making down the stretch was just plain terrible Some of it goes to the credit of the defense thrown at our guys -- it was good D in those last few minutes -- but there were early shot-clock threes taken when we should've been burning clock with the lead, and settling for threes, when we were clearly not making them, and a lack of good off-ball movement, and a lack of back door cuts, and a lack of drive and kicks, and a lack of 'extra pass'' to push for layups, etc.

We held on and won the last game, but we were clearly missing Romeo who would've made those last few minutes a hell of a lot easier.

I doubt Romeo plays.  His back hurts.  In my opinion he has earned the benefit of the doubt, here.  If he can play, then of course he starts.  I'd say he takes Justin's spot, and we start 3 guards with Juwan and De'Ron.

WSU is very good defensively, and very bad offensively.  Both teams are playing winning basketball right now.  Frankly it's pretty cool to get a program like the Shockers in for a game.  They've been very high profile this decade.  

If we win this, we get the winner of NCState and Lipscomb.  NCState went on a huge whining campaign when they didn't get a bid.  And Lipscomb targeted us on Twitter in trying to get a bid.  I'd really enjoy a shot to beat them both.  And playing at MSG will be cool for the guys, too.  I really hope we keep winning.

i like Romeo and do not think he is selfish, but... if he has decided to sit out simply to avoid getting injured before the draft, do we really think Archie would just say, "Well, Romeo isn't hurt, but seeing that this is just the NIT, he has chosen not to play in order not to risk injury?"  i doubt it.  i wish he would play.  if we're gonna be in this thing, i'd sure like to win it.  

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I like Romeo and do not think he is selfish, but... if he has decided to sit out simply to avoid getting injured before the draft, do we really think Archie would just say, "Well, Romeo isn't hurt, but seeing that this is just the NIT, he has chosen not to play in order not to risk injury?"  i doubt it.  i wish he would play.  if we're gonna be in this thing, i'd sure like to win it.  

While allowing the possibility of what you say, I really do think he's hurt and it's more than a hangnail.  Sitting out a tournament to protect draft stock as an accepted (if not well-liked) practice today.  I don't feel like Romeo would feel a need to lie about it if he wasn't hurt.  I also don't think he was lying when he said he'd play in the NIT.  In the aftermath of the conference tourney loss, he clearly wanted to play for IU again even though some have labeled the NIT a meaningless tournament.  My guess is, when he woke up the next morning, he felt a lot more sore than he did in the immediate aftermath of the OSU game and it became apparent he'd need some time off despite his stated wishes to play in the NIT.

...and no, I don't think Archie would throw Romeo under the bus, but a statement like "he's not 100% right now so we're taking the cautious stance and holding him out so we don't make him worse" would make me more suspicious that he's not hurt.  Hard for me to imagine Archie talking about x-rays and MRI's if Romeo is just laying out waiting for the NBA combine.  That seems like a pretty elaborate lie for a straight shooter like Archie.

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

While allowing the possibility of what you say, I really do think he's hurt and it's more than a hangnail.  Sitting out a tournament to protect draft stock as an accepted (if not well-liked) practice today.  I don't feel like Romeo would feel a need to lie about it if he wasn't hurt.  I also don't think he was lying when he said he'd play in the NIT.  In the aftermath of the conference tourney loss, he clearly wanted to play for IU again even though some have labeled the NIT a meaningless tournament.  My guess is, when he woke up the next morning, he felt a lot more sore than he did in the immediate aftermath of the OSU game and it became apparent he'd need some time off despite his stated wishes to play in the NIT.

...and no, I don't think Archie would throw Romeo under the bus, but a statement like "he's not 100% right now so we're taking the cautious stance and holding him out so we don't make him worse" would make me more suspicious that he's not hurt.  Hard for me to imagine Archie talking about x-rays and MRI's if Romeo is just laying out waiting for the NBA combine.  That seems like a pretty elaborate lie for a straight shooter like Archie.

His direct statements about MRIs, xrays, and that he's not practicing are clear. 

People need to stop assuming this is some kind of cover up to protect his draft stock or health for the NBA. If anything, his not playing may hurt his draft stock, and regardless, CAM obviously isn't going to lie about his getting MRI's and xrays. 

26 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

This is potentially a very dangerous game. Wichita state seems to be very excited to play at Assembly Hall and plays with a chip on their shoulder. 

Are we ready to match their intensity? 

Intensity is not a word I'd use to describe IU right now. Hopefully though our guys will be ready to bring the energy and focus needed to get the W. They have battled to get back when down, and to hold leads. Wichita State will be well coached and will come ready, should be a good game.

Archived