Wichita State post game thread

Archie is on the same level as Crean.  I have seen nothing in his two years to make me think differently...continuing to play Smith when he obviously would rather be somewhere else has baffled me...very little Race, no Jake, no Cliff, no Fitzner tonight....i don’t get it and I don’t think Archie does either.  Next year is shaping up to be even worse.....

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Haven't seen the game threads, but that WSU team was better coached today.

Nope.....WS was the better shooting team period!!!!....their 3 point shooting and abundance of attempted and made free throws did us in... Facing teams with multiple and consistent shooters, let alone good 3 pt shooters has been a bad outcome for us everytime this year. Bottom line, we need shooters, we need shooters bad!!!!

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Tonight on display in AH is why I wanted and thought Marshall should have been our coach.  He brought back two players who played over 200 minutes and had 10 new players this year.  They struggled early but have won 14 out of 17 games so it shows that he is a great coach.  He gets the kind of kids I want at IU that are gritty and hate to lose and will do what it takes to win.  I have no idea why our fans was booing Stevenson because he is the type of leader I want at IU.  they showed him getting n his teammates in one of the timeouts when they did not get back on defense.

It is time for Archie to start recruiting different kind of players who are gritty and hard working and not get kids who rather have flash over substance.

I think you’re right. I’m not saying we run an offense like Nova where it’s a pure 50/50 balance from 2s and 3s but the math is undeniable if you can run a system like that you’re perfectly balanced and ‘impossible’ to gameplan optimally against. I just hope he’s pragmatic at adjusting.

Something has to change though.

I am very disappointed in Smith this year because I really thought he would have a breakout season this year.  I just don't knw if he has the right mentality to play at IU ad do what it takes to be a good basketball player.  He seems to laid back and comes across as not caring and really does not look like he plays hard.  Unfortunalty today we got the bad green for the most part and just can't understand why these two can't play with passion every night.

The Bads: 

*Smith-honestly if he leaves this year I think I would accept that loss even if he turned into an all-American.

*A home loss 

*Juwans last game

*Romeo’s last game

*Shooting the rock

The Goods:

*Jerome Hunter Season

*Transfer/recruiting picks up

*The crowd

2 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I dont get the love fest for Marshall at all.. his kids hit shots, ours didnt.  If he was anywhere near the coach some of you say, he wouldnt be at WS for 12+ yrs.  And in the NIT in year 12 as a coach of the same program...   good coach, definitely not great. Where he is coaching tells the truth 

He’s still the 13th highest paid coach in all of NCAA

2 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I dont get the love fest for Marshall at all.. his kids hit shots, ours didnt.  If he was anywhere near the coach some of you say, he wouldnt be at WS for 12+ yrs.  And in the NIT in year 12 as a coach of the same program...   good coach, definitely not great. Where he is coaching tells the truth 

So is Mark Few not a great coach since he stayed at Gonzaga all of these years.  Marshall is one of the best coaches in college basketball and has prove it over the years at two different schools.

1 minute ago, CTrojan88 said:

Archie is on the same level as Crean.  I have seen nothing in his two years to make me think differently...continuing to play Smith when he obviously would rather be somewhere else has baffled me...very little Race, no Jake, no Cliff, no Fitzner tonight....i don’t get it and I don’t think Archie does either.  Next year is shaping to be even worse.....

Why he continues to play low IQ guys like Smith and Green is beyond me.  We all saw Marshall immediately yank anyone who made a boneheaded play.  Archie needs to learn from that.  If we had a real AD not Surfboard and we'd hired Marshall like I told everyone we should I sure you beyond any doubt that Smith and Green would've been gone before this season started.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Why he continues to play low IQ guys like Smith and Green is beyond me.  We all saw Marshall immediately yank anyone who made a boneheaded play.  Archie needs to learn from that.  If we had a real AD not Surfboard and we'd hired Marshall like I told everyone we should I sure you beyond any doubt that Smith and Green would've been gone before this season started.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz😪

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

I never understood why you and the others over on rivals call Glass surfboard because every team that gets invited to Maui gets those surfboards.

2 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

I expect guys to still hit wide open 3’s. Every other team seems to be able to

Remember when Ziesloft or Yogi or JBJ would shoot a 3? I thought it was going in EVERY TIME. I don’t expect any player on this team to make a shot outside of 15’

We lost this game at the defensive end...not offensively. Sure we need to hit more open jumpers...mostly because it creates easy driving lanes and shots inside for our bigs and slashers. But we did not bring it at the defensive end of the floor....WS is not more athletic then MSU and many other teams that we could shut down. No excuse.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So is Mark Few not a great coach since he stayed at Gonzaga all of these years.  Marshall is one of the best coaches in college basketball and has prove it over the years at two different schools.

Few turned Gonzaga into serious contender every year.  You cant seriously say with a straight face, Marshall and WS are anywhere near that level... seriously,  thats a huge reach. Again elite coaches dont stay in WS for 12 + years... i say + because nobody is gonna hire him

As critical as I’ve been of the coaching, and today’s game was a perfect example of what I hate about the offense (no movement, all iso drives and telegraphed passes into the paint) and defense (pack the paint and allow three point shooters to go nuts)...

Archie just needs to cut bait on Smith and Green before next year.  You are never going to win with two players like that getting heavy minutes.  Smith is just lazy and terrible at basketball, and Green’s late-season “renaissance” (which was really just a bunch of BS threes that happened to go in) was total fool’s gold.  Might make us worse in the short run, but it’s going to be impossible for Archie to build a winning culture with those guys on the roster.

Archived