Wichita State post game thread

The state of this program is depressing. I don’t know what it’s going to take to right this ship and get this team winning year in and year out at a high level. We cannot continue to ‘rebuild’ every 3-5 years with a new coach. The fanbase is long past patient now. I like Archie ok, and he shows glimpses of being a good coach but color me skeptical with the lackluster effort of this team and him playing players that clearly only give effort when they feel like it. Couple that with pack line D making mediocre players look like All Americans and his lack of recruiting shooters...I don’t dont see the optimism that this is going to be a top B1G caliber team anytime in the near future. I really hope I’m wrong because more than anything I just want to love IU basketball again...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I dont get the love fest for Marshall at all.. his kids hit shots, ours didnt.  If he was anywhere near the coach some of you say, he wouldnt be at WS for 12+ yrs.  And in the NIT in year 12 as a coach of the same program...   good coach, definitely not great. Where he is coaching tells the truth 

He gets paid to stay,i wouldnt want to compare WSU and IU over those last 12 years,the guy can coach,has a 73 % win percentage, not saying hes top 3,but certainly is no slouch. 

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Why he continues to play low IQ guys like Smith and Green is beyond me.  We all saw Marshall immediately yank anyone who made a boneheaded play.  Archie needs to learn from that.  If we had a real AD not Surfboard and we'd hired Marshall like I told everyone we should I sure you beyond any doubt that Smith and Green would've been gone before this season started.

I see the point you’re making but Devonte provides undeniable value. Not just average value but above average. He shoots lights out, rebounds, and has very active hands. 

They’re is a balance between risk/reward and Devonte and Justin are at different ends. Justin is a dope who does nothing well. Devonte can average 18/6 next season easy and do it efficently.. Getting caught up on a couple poor decisions a game while ignoring above average value is a mistake. Troy Williams is similar.  

If I could switch it back to you I’d say Al / Rob can’t shoot 2s or 3s but that’s ignored?

Just now, HoosierJax said:

He gets paid to stay,i wouldnt want to compare WSU and IU over those last 12 years,the guy can coach,has a 73 % win percentage, not saying hes top 3,but certainly is no slouch. 

So a power five top school wouldnt pay him to come?  Hes good at WS, not good enough for a great job. If he was, he would have been bought out and else where, years ago

2 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Few turned Gonzaga into serious contender every year.  You cant seriously say with a straight face, Marshall and WS are anywhere near that level... seriously,  thats a huge reach. Again elite coaches dont stay in WS for 12 + years... i say + because nobody is gonna hire him

Yes I think Marshall is an elite coach and he gets paid quit well at WSU and they can match anything that any big time program can offer.  He took them to a final four and the next year hw had them as  a number 1 seed in the tournament.

5 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Few turned Gonzaga into serious contender every year.  You cant seriously say with a straight face, Marshall and WS are anywhere near that level... seriously,  thats a huge reach. Again elite coaches dont stay in WS for 12 + years... i say + because nobody is gonna hire him

He's had lots of other offers

I've heard he can be difficult for an administrator to deal with, but the guy can flat out coach

Epilogue to this season

i think Romeo will come back. I have heard he really likes IU, and he has a bit of an ego, even though he doesn’t show it.. he has a lot to prove to the doubters, and he is close to Rob and Jerome.

I think the seat will be starting to get warm under Archie. I have held the criticism, and so much seems to be just plain missing open shots. But, an over looked aspect that I think is controllable is Free Throw shooting. ( make them shoot HUNDREDS of them, everyday ) This coming season will be very important for Arch.

Of all the other things about this season I mentioned in another post, I have never ever ever seen a team give up so many “Daggers”. Somehow, we have to play thru the FULL shot clock, and double team guys that get hot. 

I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season, and will continue to check this message board every day!!!

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

As critical as I’ve been of the coaching, and today’s game was a perfect example of what I hate about the offense (no movement, all iso drives and telegraphed passes into the paint) and defense (pack the paint and allow three point shooters to go nuts)...

Archie just needs to cut bait on Smith and Green before next year.  You are never going to win with two players like that getting heavy minutes.  Smith is just lazy and terrible at basketball, and Green’s late-season “renaissance” (which was really just a bunch of BS threes that happened to go in) was total fool’s gold.  Might make us worse in the short run, but it’s going to be impossible for Archie to build a winning culture with those guys on the roster.

Can’t agree at all FW regarding Devonte. He is the only get a bucket out of nothing scorer and play maker we have (I’m referring to late play / unexpected offense). We’ve got a 35 game sample and the math is undeniable on statistical contributions to boot.

Steals, scoring in bunches, play making, solid rebounding, and over 40% on 3 while doing it when our offense is predictable hell. 

If you don’t rate that that’s fine but I would have to disagree.

2 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

So a power five top school wouldnt pay him to come?  Hes good at WS, not good enough for a great job. If he was, he would have been bought out and else where, years ago

Well the Kochs brothers are some of the riches people in the world and they are big time donors ad will match any offer out there.  There are plenty of great coaches out there that find places where they are comfortable and stay there that could have moved on to bigger schools.  I bet you have watched very little of WSU or Winthrop but I have followed him since his Winthrop days and he has won at every level.

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Tonight on display in AH is why I wanted and thought Marshall should have been our coach.  He brought back two players who played over 200 minutes and had 10 new players this year.  They struggled early but have won 14 out of 17 games so it shows that he is a great coach.  He gets the kind of kids I want at IU that are gritty and hate to lose and will do what it takes to win.  I have no idea why our fans was booing Stevenson because he is the type of leader I want at IU.  they showed him getting n his teammates in one of the timeouts when they did not get back on defense.

It is time for Archie to start recruiting different kind of players who are gritty and hard working and not get kids who rather have flash over substance.

Archie did not recruit the flashy players on this team.

13 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

We don't miss wide open 3's, we brick them bad. I've never seen a team so bad at shooting.

And we have to have missed more layups this season than any team I can recall.  And we weren't good at all from the FT line.  Hmmmm, it's almost like we can't shoot. lol

Guys, they came into the Hall with an agenda. They are not extremely athletic nor talented. Their coach is not a super genius that should replace K. We are talking about Wichita State and..... yeah, the NIT. 

One win or loss doesn’t define anything. The whole body of work for both teams landed them in the NIT. Yeah DBM - Scott even the all mighty Greg Marshal.

22 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Why he continues to play low IQ guys like Smith and Green is beyond me.  We all saw Marshall immediately yank anyone who made a boneheaded play.  Archie needs to learn from that.  If we had a real AD not Surfboard and we'd hired Marshall like I told everyone we should I sure you beyond any doubt that Smith and Green would've been gone before this season started.

What makes you so certain Marshall would have taken the job?

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well the Kochs brothers are some of the riches people in the world and they are big time donors ad will match any offer out there.  There are plenty of great coaches out there that find places where they are comfortable and stay there that could have moved on to bigger schools.  I bet you have watched very little of WSU or Winthrop but I have followed him since his Winthrop days and he has won at every level.

Gregg supposedly begged Texas to hire him.  He'd leave for the right job.

1 minute ago, CTrojan88 said:

All valid points, why the zzzzz response?  

I will continue to repeat...we need shooter, we have needed shooters all season long, because we don't have consistent shooters inside and out, is usually followed by losses.  Simple.....better shooters = more wins, landing Keion & Co. NCAA tourney bid and blame not on Archie...

2 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Guys, they came into the Hall with an agenda. They are not extremely athletic nor talented. Their coach is not a super genius that should replace K. We are talking about Wichita State and..... yeah, the NIT. 

One win or loss doesn’t define anything. The whole body of work for both teams landed them in the NIT. Yeah DBM - Scott even the all mighty Greg Marshal.

Well they have won 14 out of 17 after having to replace 10 players from last year.

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

What makes you so certain Marshall would have taken the job?

It's just a perfect fit for both parties.  He's a very smart hard nosed no nonsense coach who IU fans expect in their coach.  And Indiana produces those gym rat kids like Leal and Gollaway in spades.  He would work wonders with players like that.  Just a perfect fit for both parties.  If IU is willing to pay $7-8M year they can still land him.

12 minutes ago, IUfan93 said:

The state of this program is depressing. I don’t know what it’s going to take to right this ship and get this team winning year in and year out at a high level. We cannot continue to ‘rebuild’ every 3-5 years with a new coach. The fanbase is long past patient now. I like Archie ok, and he shows glimpses of being a good coach but color me skeptical with the lackluster effort of this team and him playing players that clearly only give effort when they feel like it. Couple that with pack line D making mediocre players look like All Americans and his lack of recruiting shooters...I don’t dont see the optimism that this is going to be a top B1G caliber team anytime in the near future. I really hope I’m wrong because more than anything I just want to love IU basketball again...

Well said.  'Depressing' really does describe the current state perfectly.  I'm sick and tired of hoping - hoping freshmen are huge contributors, hoping players develop skills or consistency they've never shown before, and hoping players that haven't played for months (or ever at this level) can be major contributors.  It's been like this for too damn long.

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

It's just a perfect fit for both parties.  He's a very smart hard nosed no nonsense coach who IU fans expect in their coach.  And Indiana produces those gym rat kids like Leal and Gollaway in spades.  He would work wonders with players like that.  Just a perfect fit for both parties.  If IU is willing to pay $7-8M year they can still land him.

Well it is to late so we need to back Archie and this team and hope Archie can get us back to where we want to be.

11 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Edit:  Not a good start as a new member. Get familiar with our rules. Name calling simply is not allowed.

-blue

Archived