Is there reason to be optimistic about the future?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, addictedtoIU said:

I don't have high hopes for next season. Looking at our team playing against Wichita State, we're far from it. I wanna root for a tough, hard nosed team. 

Have you watched many Cincy games? They win something like 25-29 a year.

Genguine question here would you be happy if we played like them?

2 minutes ago, JWoolsey said:

Which ones?

I don’t want to name names specifically. Those who read my posts consistently know one for sure. The other night surprise people. All I know is this team WAS divided. And either Archie believes he has it fixed or he’s just blindly hoping. If even half of what I’ve heard is accurate this isn’t going away. It’s going to lay just beneath the surface...

Great topic OP.  Personally, I am not very optimistic for next year.  Players, coaching, system, culture...I just don’t see it.  I have rooted for IU basketball for 35 years.  I can’t remember a time I was so down on the program.  I hope more than anything I am completely wrong.  But I don’t see the light at the end of the tunnel.

1 minute ago, JWoolsey said:

Have you watched many Cincy games? They win something like 25-29 a year.

Genguine question here would you be happy if we played like them?

I don't know. I haven't watched Cincy games so hard to tell, but I remember one of those Xavier-Cincy rivalry games a few years ago. They were a bit thuggish, but if I have to choose between mind midgets and college thugs, I'll go with college thugs. I'm tired of watching IU team look completely lost against tough/physical opponents. 

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

I don’t want to name names specifically. Those who read my posts consistently know one for sure. The other night surprise people. All I know is this team WAS divided. And either Archie believes he has it fixed or he’s just blindly hoping. If even half of what I’ve heard is accurate this isn’t going away. It’s going to lay just beneath the surface...

Mind shooting me a PM?

1 minute ago, addictedtoIU said:

I don't know. I haven't watched Cincy games so hard to tell, but I remember one of those Xavier-Cincy rivalry games a few years ago. They were a bit thuggish, but if I have to choose between mind midgets and college thugs, I'll go with college thugs. I'm tired of watching IU team look completely lost against tough/physical opponents. 

I take it you were a Sampson fan like me then :)

3 minutes ago, JWoolsey said:

I didn't like the way he managed his teams and let his players do whatever they wanted. But I liked how his players played. We didn't see much in his tenure at IU, but his Oklahoma teams were quite tough teams. 

12 minutes ago, JWoolsey said:

Glad you're a fan of players not even pretending to go to class, sneaking out of the team hotel to go party during early season tournaments and more weed than a Cheech & Chong movie.  I'm not. 

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm optimistic.  I'm also realistic about the length of time it takes to completely change the culture of a team.  I think IU makes the dance next year, but I think they are still another year away from being what fans are wishing for.

What makes you optimistic?  I am not being a jerk, I would really like to know the reason for your optimism.

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm optimistic.  I'm also realistic about the length of time it takes to completely change the culture of a team.  I think IU makes the dance next year, but I think they are still another year away from being what fans are wishing for.

At this point, I think all fans are wishing for is to hear IU’s name get called on Selection Sunday.  Missing the tournament four out of the last six seasons (and barely sneaking into the tourney in one of the two seasons we have made it in over that stretch) has lowered expectations a lot, I think.

9 minutes ago, IUB74 said:

What makes you optimistic?  I am not being a jerk, I would really like to know the reason for your optimism.

Another year of Archie installing his offensive and defensive schemes.  IU will be getting older and further away from a system completely at odds with the one he uses.  He was very successful at Dayton and he didn't forget how to coach.  Time in the system will fix a lot.  Incoming class is TJD, Armaan and effectively, Jerome Hunter...the kid Romeo was excited enough about to call home and tell his family "he's really good".

Aside from that, life as a pessimist sucks.  If I felt as bad as some of you do, I'd find another team.

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm cautiously optimistic.  I think archie can coach and I think he knows what pieces he needs to be successfull. I think he had been dealing with something new to him that he will figure out soon. I'm just not sure he will be given the patience needed.  I hope he will be given that. 

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Another year of Archie installing his offensive and defensive schemes.  IU will be getting older and further away from a system completely at odds with the one he uses.  He was very successful at Dayton and he didn't forget how to coach.  Time in the system will fix a lot.  Incoming class is TJD, Armaan and effectively, Jerome Hunter...the kid Romeo was excited enough about to call home and tell his family "he's really good".

Aside from that, life as a pessimist sucks.  If I felt as bad as some of you do, I'd find another team.

Thanks.  I hope you are right!

12 minutes ago, IUB74 said:

A) Rob Phinisee

B) Race Thompson

C) Jerome Hunter

D) De'Ron Davis

E) Trayce Jackson-Davis

F) Having the Carnegie Hall of College Basketball as a home court

G) Archie Miller (I still think he's an extremely intelligent coach with a take-no-#&$% attitude)

I’m not optimistic. I said this in the post game thread. I think the state of this program is depressing. I don’t know what it’s going to take to right the ship but I’m so tired of ‘looking forward to next year’ only to be disappointed again. Archie has shown flashes of being a good coach and then we see the Pack line D make All Americans out of mediocre players and get lit up from 3. We need shooters and ‘help isn’t on the way’. Not to mention watching the offense stand around especially your supposed lottery pick disappearing in the corner most games just doesn’t lead me to believe this program is turning the corner any time soon. The fanbase is out of patience for 3-5 year rebuilds. I want to be wrong because honestly I just want to love IU basketball and look forward to watching them be a top B1G team again. 

Archived