Is there reason to be optimistic about the future?

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

At this point, I think all fans are wishing for is to hear IU’s name get called on Selection Sunday.  Missing the tournament four out of the last six seasons (and barely sneaking into the tourney in one of the two seasons we have made it in over that stretch) has lowered expectations a lot, I think.

Honestly that isn’t going to be something I do back flips for. I’m merely going to be FUMING if we aren’t called. Merely making the tourney keeps me from boiling over. It’s like coming home from college for a home cooked meal and you get pot roast. 🤷🏻‍♂️...ok not bad i’ll Eat it, but was hoping for steak.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IUfan93 said:

The fanbase is out of patience for 3-5 year rebuilds.

There's only one other kind of rebuild that's faster, and those involve people like Teflon John Calipari.  After having lived through Sampson, I'll take mediocrity over that #&@*.

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

Honestly that isn’t going to be something I do back flips for. I’m merely going to be FUMING if we aren’t called. Merely making the tourney keeps me from boiling over. It’s like coming home from college for a home cooked meal and you get pot roast. 🤷🏻‍♂️...ok not bad i’ll Eat it, but was hoping for steak.

I see what you’re saying, but at this point it’s really all I want... Expecting much more seems like setting yourself up to be disappointed.  There’s nothing to indicate that we should expect to be a Final Four caliber team for the foreseeable future.

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

A) Rob Phinisee

B) Race Thompson

C) Jerome Hunter

D) De'Ron Davis

E) Trayce Jackson-Davis

F) Having the Carnegie Hall of College Basketball as a home court

G) Archie Miller (I still think he's an extremely intelligent coach with a take-no-#&$% attitude)

I would be a lot more optimistic if I saw more of G from the team.

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

There's only one other kind of rebuild that's faster, and those involve people like Teflon John Calipari.  After having lived through Sampson, I'll take mediocrity over that #&@*.

The cupboard here wasn’t bare. It wasn’t a Crean rebuild. We see Louisville and OSU making the tournament with new coaches that came in same year as Archie while we are getting beat by WSU at home as a 1 seed in the NIT. I’m not saying Archie isn’t the guy or he’s not a good coach. I’m skeptical...he’s not shown much consistency in the last couple of years.  Winning in the A10 isn’t the same as being at IU and competing in the B1G. I’m absolutely not saying he should be fired bcecause realistically who is coming here??  But it’s frustrating watching year in and year out the team you’ve loved/watched all your life sink into irrelevance. 

5 minutes ago, IUfan93 said:

The cupboard here wasn’t bare. It wasn’t a Crean rebuild. We see Louisville and OSU making the tournament with new coaches that came in same year as Archie while we are getting beat by WSU at home as a 1 seed in the NIT. I’m not saying Archie isn’t the guy or he’s not a good coach. I’m skeptical...he’s not shown much consistency in the last couple of years.  Winning in the A10 isn’t the same as being at IU and competing in the B1G. I’m absolutely not saying he should be fired because realistically who is coming here??  But it’s frustrating watching year in and year out the team you’ve loved/watched all your life sink into irrelevance. 

Brother, you need a break from IU basketball and fan forums.  Better days are coming, man...step away from the ledge...

23 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Brother, you need a break from IU basketball and fan forums.  Better days are coming, man...step away from the ledge...

😂😂 far from the ledge. Better days have been coming for years. That’s the point...kind of tired of looking forward to next year. Kind of like being a Cubs fan in Chicago until they won the World Series. That was the Cubs mantra...there’s always next year. Until I see results on the court, I’ll remain a skeptic. 

1 hour ago, IUfan93 said:

The cupboard here wasn’t bare. It wasn’t a Crean rebuild. We see Louisville and OSU making the tournament with new coaches that came in same year as Archie while we are getting beat by WSU at home as a 1 seed in the NIT. I’m not saying Archie isn’t the guy or he’s not a good coach. I’m skeptical...he’s not shown much consistency in the last couple of years.  Winning in the A10 isn’t the same as being at IU and competing in the B1G. I’m absolutely not saying he should be fired bcecause realistically who is coming here??  But it’s frustrating watching year in and year out the team you’ve loved/watched all your life sink into irrelevance. 

This. OSU and Louisville have no business being better than us right now. 

I don’t get the pessimism. I don’t think many had a realistic look of the roster when archie took over. Was it a Crean rebuild? No. Was it a rebuild? Absolutely. Archie inherited a NIT team that then lost its top 3 players. The pieces he was left were not a fit for him, but Crean left an APR mess so he couldn’t make roster changes. So he has been stuck with who Crean left and who he could recruit with available scholarships. His guys are literally finishing their freshmen year and I see fans on the ledge. 

Why I’m optimistic:

Archie has improved from year 1 to year 2, while laying the foundation (system and recruiting). I’ve maintained, even before a coach was hired, year 3 is the year to make the NCAA’s. That’s half the roster (younger half) that are the new head coaches players. Make the dance. If not, Archie will feel the pressure in year 4. 

As I look at roster construction, we have a NCAA team next season. Wanting more than that is placing excess expectations on the program, because of past failures. Get over the past and get on with the present and future. Make the dance next year, make a run the year after that. Then the team is a veteran group and if recruiting stays at a good level, the team will stay veteran. That’s when consistency hits and we are at a level we all want. Gotta learn to crawl before you can walk, and then walk before you run. 

PG - Phinisee So

SG - Green Sr

SF - Hunter (yes, he will play) RsFr

PF - TJD Fr

C - Davis Sr

Bench - Al, Franklin, Race, 

8 man rotation. Could Jake or a transfer break into that? Absolutely. But for as the roster sits now and assuming Romeo goes pro, that’s a NCAA roster. 

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Another year of Archie installing his offensive and defensive schemes.  IU will be getting older and further away from a system completely at odds with the one he uses.  He was very successful at Dayton and he didn't forget how to coach.  Time in the system will fix a lot.  Incoming class is TJD, Armaan and effectively, Jerome Hunter...the kid Romeo was excited enough about to call home and tell his family "he's really good".

Aside from that, life as a pessimist sucks.  If I felt as bad as some of you do, I'd find another team.

There is no other team.

There is no other team that had me arguing around the lunchroom table about the Fab Five not holding our jock.  There is no other team that I trudged from Matlock Court to Assembly Hall through rain and snow to climb up into the balcony to watch.  There is no other team that brought me the Joy's of Keith Smart and the heart crushing of Duke '92.

I don't want another fracking team.  I want "my team" back.  It was stolen from me my senior year at IU.  And while I have seen a few glimpses of it since then, I have never really found it.  So I run around looking for it every year hoping this is the year it is back.

I’m a realist. I don’t forget the tradition but the reality is in the last 10 years we only have 4 tourney appearances. We did make it to sweet 16, 3 of the 4 but once was as a 1 seed. Haven’t made it past sweet 16 and 2 conference championships in the last 10 years.

The reality is IU hasn’t been good. I’m 32 and it’s been since my childhood that IU was making the dance every year. I think now, for the first time, that kids growing up in the state are more looking at Purdue and Butler as “their teams” what has IU given them to cheer for? Do I think Archie can win here? yes. But how often? I don’t know but it hasn’t been consistent for about 15 years. 

I'm optimistic. There was a point in time this year when we were 3-0 in the best conference in the country, and ranked in the top 20, so it's not like Archie doesn't know how to coach. It certainly seems like the problems in the middle were a little bit out of Archie's control, and it's entirely possible that's a situation he's never encountered before, and he's still a fairly young coach who's going to learn and get better at handling those kinds of things.

Looking forward, obviously some of this depends on who is leaving/staying, but we're going to be another year closer to this being Archie's program completely. At the very least, we'll be another step closer to determining if Archie can get the job done. I like his approach with respect to the talent being brought in, and the idea of having a more experienced team, with the occasional 5 star sprinkled in here and there. I think we're on our way to being a competitive program again, it's just a matter of whether he can get us to that next level where we are competing for championships on a regular basis. 

i wouldn't mind seeing a couple of our main guys transfer.  to me they are not winners.  they are selfish.  that made last night tough to watch just like most of the season.  i think it's tough to be optimistic when Morgan and Langford are your two best players and you lose them and replace with TJD and Hunter.  both could be great players, but hard to imagine they will be as good as Morgan was as a senior or Romeo either.  i do like RP.  Al is fine i guess.  hopefully Thompson will be solid.  hopefully Hunter will be healthy and as good as everyone thinks.  more questions than i would like though.  i like what i think Davis could do next year.  

Two part answer for me.  First. Am I optimistic for next year? Always. But I think we have to agree to part ways with a couple of kids who by their own actions appear to want to leave. Archie absolutely can't miss on grad transfer market this year. 

Second part of answer for me. I'm not. This will be year 3 of the 4th head coach in 17 years. Do yourself a favor fans...ask Fred Glass, ask trustees, ask administration each and every time you see them this spring, this summer on fan tours....what they are doing to make IU athletics (basketball in particular) successful today because as I posted in January IU and it's administration has worn me out. They've lost many fans....and are on the cusp of losing anything remotely special about the program.

I've never wanted an off season to get here sooner. 

This season was such a disappointment.   At minimum I think the majority of us felt we would make the dance.   I'm actually just glad the season is over.    So looking at next season I am struggling to see how we get much better.  We lose our 2 leading scorers and go to players.    I look up and down our roster and see inconsistent and unproven players.   I do not see a B1G contender or a Sweet 16 team.  So I guess the best I'm expecting is a just a bid.   

I like Archie and was happy we got him but next season is crucial for his future at IU.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

I was happy our previous NIT year was over. This year, I'm not. I liked this team. Why? They didn't quit. They could have packed it in after any number of losses. But they didn't. They kept fighting. Ultimately, they fell short of the tournament, but fought out a couple of more wins in the NIT, when they could have packed it in again.

That fight and resiliency is something that was missing from a lot of previous teams.

9 hours ago, IUB74 said:

Is there reason to be optimistic about the future of IU men’s basketball?  I am tired of remembering the good old days.  I would love some great nowadays!  What do you think?

Yes because I think RP will come back next year better and to be a great college team you need a great PG.  Also I feel if Hunter comes back healthy that will be a huge difference next year and years to come.  I also look at coaches Like Beilein, coach K and Izzo and se what their first couple of years looked like and see it took them a few years to get their programs going.

Archived